Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

On 23/10/2020 at 09:19, En Passant said:

The premise is great, particularly for me since I find actual superhero films too tedious for words (I accept that may be just me), and the show itself is pretty good. Just starting on series 2.

Agreed, Karl Urban should have been told to stick to his native NZ within the first 5 minutes, must have been an all American crew because a single brit could have told them....

I've finished both seasons. Way over the top of course, but thats the fun. 

As a change of pace I've just started The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.The story originates from  good stable, and episode one was good enough to draw me in.

13 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Should we read anything into Rufus Hound's strange hat in this week's edition - fashion statement/haircut fail, or perhaps something more sinister?

Edit: he threw his hat off in mock rage today and it looks like he's just hiding the fact he's becoming a slaphead.

Nah,  he's just been channelling his inner Dexy's Midnight Runner...

One more series of Medici to go, and I've also been watching Harlots which is highly entertaining.  It was just starting to feel a bit samey when it took a darker turn. 

Also lined up is Wolf Hall, which I missed when it was on BBC.  I've spotted it on demand at UK Drama channel.  Only six episodes, but I hear there's a sequel planned.

22 minutes ago, Toast said:

One more series of Medici to go, and I've also been watching Harlots which is highly entertaining.  It was just starting to feel a bit samey when it took a darker turn. 

Also lined up is Wolf Hall, which I missed when it was on BBC.  I've spotted it on demand at UK Drama channel.  Only six episodes, but I hear there's a sequel planned.

Wolf Hall is excellent. Very slow but beautiful. Impressive cast as well.

• Like 1

I've started watching Grey's Anatomy on Prime Video. There're 15 seasons, totalling 342 episodes. I wonder how many episodes I'll get through before I get bored & look for something else?  

7 minutes ago, time said:

I've started watching Grey's Anatomy on Prime Video. There're 15 seasons, totalling 342 episodes. I wonder how many episodes I'll get through before I get bored & look for something else?  

Isn't that just a hospital soap?

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Isn't that just a hospital soap?

It could be, I'm only a couple of episodes in and there are certainly soapy elements, but then I think that applies to the majority of drama these days. I'll be surprised if I can stick it out till the end; I might have to backtrack and finish off something else I got bored with. 

Just watched 'The Claw' on Horror and it has to be said that it puts all the modern sci-fi/horror films to shame, it was so bad that I could not take my eyes off it for one second, I even endured the ads just in case it came back early and I missed some.

No modern film has gripped me the way The Claw did this afternoon.

Been watching Marco Polo on Netflix, several years after everyone else, having bailed out of Reign due to bad acting and the plot lines bearing no resemblance to reality.

For all know it's probably a complete travesty of the real life events as well but unlike the tudor period I know nothing about Mongolian history so taking it at face value. The acting is fairly good, although was sad to lose the chief baddie upon his death at the end of series 1. At the risk of sounding like a bigoted white westerner the biggest problem initially was telling a number of similar looking young female characters apart, although one or two were helpfully killed off as series 1 progressed, which has made life easier. 

Other than that, looking forward to the resumption of The Crown whilst trying to avoid Strictly and its assorted spin off programmes where possible, which are unfortunately on our telly every day of the week at the moment. Soon to be followed by the equally reprehensible if less camp 'Jungle' programme...

Dragons’ Den so I can feast my eyes with great pleasure on the beautiful classy Deborah Meaden 

3 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Just watched 'The Claw' on Horror and it has to be said that it puts all the modern sci-fi/horror films to shame, it was so bad that I could not take my eyes off it for one second, I even endured the ads just in case it came back early and I missed some.

No modern film has gripped me the way The Claw did this afternoon.

That looks quality schlock. And I see the female lead - ex-Playmate Mara Corday - is still alive.

Mara is the one in the first picture. I think.

giantclawy.jpgimage.png

I am being forced to watch the new season of The Crown right now.... how is Michael Fagan doing?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I am being forced to watch the new season of The Crown right now.... how is Michael Fagan doing?

Here is the Telegraph last week:

Speaking ahead of the drama’s release this Sunday, Mr Fagan said: “There’s plenty of people who’ve knelt before the Queen but there’s not many who’ve sat on her bed and had a chat, is there?”

The Telegraph tracked down Mr Fagan, who is now 70 and recovering from a recent heart attack and the after-effects of covid, to a tower block in Islington, north London.

He's actually 72 but otherwise...

3 hours ago, msc said:

Here is the Telegraph last week:

Speaking ahead of the drama’s release this Sunday, Mr Fagan said: “There’s plenty of people who’ve knelt before the Queen but there’s not many who’ve sat on her bed and had a chat, is there?”

The Telegraph tracked down Mr Fagan, who is now 70 and recovering from a recent heart attack and the after-effects of covid, to a tower block in Islington, north London.

He's actually 72 but otherwise...

Hmm.....

I finished The Queen's gambit. Really well done. The fans of chess love it, and yes, it's very good at giving you the impression of the games - except that they sped up the games for the camera. Usually, each move in top tournament game takes a couple of minutes, not a couple of seconds. And it took place in Kentucky, Las Vegas, Paris and Moscow - but where was it actually filmed? Berlin! I would have liked to be a person in the background, but I missed the announcement last year - I'm only finding about it right now!

If you're not a fan of chess, it's still good, especially as a period piece and for the main performance. But the "damaged genius" plot might just be stretched out an episode or two too much.

15 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I finished The Queen's gambit. Really well done. The fans of chess love it, and yes, it's very good at giving you the impression of the games - except that they sped up the games for the camera. Usually, each move in top tournament game takes a couple of minutes, not a couple of seconds. And it took place in Kentucky, Las Vegas, Paris and Moscow - but where was it actually filmed? Berlin! I would have liked to be a person in the background, but I missed the announcement last year - I'm only finding about it right now!

If you're not a fan of chess, it's still good, especially as a period piece and for the main performance. But the "damaged genius" plot might just be stretched out an episode or two too much.

Not heard of it but put it on our Netflix watch list, thanks.

I like Chess but am absymal at the game. iirc my record is something like 1-202. And the one person I beat quit playing in horror and shame. (True story!)

• Haha 1

After all the rave reviews, I was disappointed with The Queen's Gambit.  I didn't expect the whole of the first episode to be about a child in an orphanage, and I found it dull.  I pressed on, but it just didn't grab me.  I thought we would see more of the actual games.  I had two attempts at getting to the end of Ep 3, but fell asleep both times, despite the mesmerising presence of Jacob Fortune-Lloyd (he's a terrific scheming slyboots in Medici).  After that I gave up on it.

I think one needs an interest in the main character. It's basically a character study. 

I watched it (The Queens' Gambit) before the hype, so wasn't really expecting anything; I enjoyed it, but I suspect that if I'd watched it following all the rave reviews, I'd have p;robably felt it didn't live up to expectations.

This is also the reason I rarely recommend anything, though I did enjoy Feel Good which was on C4, and may be on Netflix.

Mandalorian is much better than I thought it would be

Soccer Saturday RIP.

On 16/11/2020 at 18:52, gcreptile said:

My wife and daughter were watching the crown last week. I came in midway through an episode and Lord Mountbatten was at his desk.

Where is this? I asked innocently

Ireland my daughter replied

Oh dear I said

It was still a huge shock to her when the bomb went off ten minutes later.

• Shocked 1