Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

FAO Deathray

Look, I know he got banned but we all know he'll see this with at least 3 socks before Christmas.

Britbox are celebrating Corrie's 60th by putting up a bunch of Greatest Moments clipshows and their "20 best episodes". Dunno if this is up his street but I can't think of anyone else who it might interest...

5 minutes ago, msc said:

FAO Deathray

Look, I know he got banned but we all know he'll see this with at least 3 socks before Christmas.

Britbox are celebrating Corrie's 60th by putting up a bunch of Greatest Moments clipshows and their "20 best episodes". Dunno if this is up his street but I can't think of anyone else who it might interest...

His precum is now dribbling out of his helmet.....:lol:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

His precum is now dribbling out of his helmet.....:lol:

‘Precum’ is the foulest word in the English language. 

52 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

‘Precum’ is the foulest word in the English language. 

Yes, it probably is.:D

I've gone back to watching Harlots after a break.  On S2 now.  Very entertaining.

Christmas TV's been a weird mix hasn't it?

Basically nothing worth watching on Christmas Eve. The Wall vs Celebrity's being the utter lowlight - closely followed by All Aboard: The Sleigh Ride - a BBC4 experiment in Slow TV that is utter garbage - a real time sleigh ride journey with no music or commentary. Utterly bafflingly boring -- although it was on from midnight to 2am. 

Queens Speech - Pile of Pish as always.

The Wheel - Mindless trash, but some of the best mindless trash on telly in a good few years, apart from celebs on the contestant wheel and Christmassy theme remained same as rest of series. Enjoyed it for what it was - there's a million things that could have been fixed about it but enjoyable non the less.

Blankety Blank - Bradley Walsh seemed not to care all that much for it - a big issue for a host, and was upstaged by Jimmy Carr (who was clearly trying to upstage him, but a competent host should be able to deal with that - seems like Carr could actually work as host for this though if Walsh doesn't want it bizarrely...) 

Call the Midwife - Blatant filmed in adherence to social distancing guidelines, which in a Christmas special supposedly set decades ago is a bit jarring, but nonetheless heart-warming as always, 90 minutes probably a tad on the long side. 

Seems to be some slightly better stuff on tomorrow though. 

I watched the Blankety Blank one. It was fine but where did they get those contestants from? When a town cryer is the least annoying ..

The only other thing I have watched is Ghosts which had a nice mix of sentimentality and innuendo.

• Like 1

I don't want a television but I have finally given in and I'm watching The Mandalorian. (via someone else's Disney+ account obviously)

It's okay really, and not a steaming pile of shite like every other new thing from the Star Wars franchise. People I know are whining about the CGI being rubbish, but I'm not watching on a big screen so I don't care, and also it looks more like the original trilogy this way. I'm still at the spaghetti western stage but it's supposed to get better. 

Grown men admitting to crying at the end of season two on Twitter swung it for me. That and it's The Baby Yoda Show :wub:

I'm pretty tearful after paying £2.49 to show SC "The Snowman" but I forgot that the ending isn't exactly feelgood and now I'm having to explain how dark U.K TV can be again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I actually took up the free Amazon Prime offer, for a month just because they were showing my teams match.

We were shite.

I then watched the new Borat film from behind a cushion.

That girly, Maria Bakalova is fucking BRILLIANT!!!

Cringing, just cringing but, yeah, fucking good.

• Like 1

Late to the party but just finished Queen's Gambit. Not bad but undeserving of the plaudits it has had  IMO.

SPOILER ALERT

Found the protagonist unlikeable and difficult to care about even before the alcohol abuse/(even more) self centred behaviour kicked in.

A few examples of music being used whilst portraying events on a date some time before it was written, which - being anal about pop music of the 60s amd 70s -  always annoys me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Late to the party but just finished Queen's Gambit. Not bad but undeserving of the plaudits it has had

I watched ten minutes and binned it despite being telt by streaming services that I should like it. I have very very few reliable sources who are able to predict what I'd like, and more importantly, what I wouldn't, and they are never wrong. 

That said, finding characters unlikeable and downright despicable is great if done deliberately. See "Succession" and "The Righteous Gemstones" which were both outstanding. 

Started watching Vikings on Amazon prime. Six series.  Worth sticking with?  I'm on series 1 episode 5. 

41 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Started watching Vikings on Amazon prime. Six series.  Worth sticking with?  I'm on series 1 episode 5. 

Yes, at least the first 3 series.  2 and 3 are good.  Then they started doubling up from 10 episodes to 20 per season, with the inevitable results. 

I watched to the end of the fourth, by which time I was losing interest, didn't care for the new characters taking over so I didn't bother with the rest.

I prefer The Last Kingdom, so if you haven't seen that I recommend it.  Four series so far with the next one in production.  First series was BBC budget so a bit cheap, but after that Netflix came on board and gave them more money to spend. 

• Like 2

As bad as Nick Hewer is, I just can't watch Countdown at all when the 'bantastic' Colin Murphy sits in for him.

So... why the fuck does this thread have my most hated, superfluous, Japanese knotweed of a word at the start of its title, yeah no?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As bad as Nick Hewer is, I just can't watch Countdown at all when the 'bantastic' Colin Murphy sits in for him.

So... why the fuck does this thread have my most hated, superfluous, Japanese knotweed of a word at the start of its title, yeah no?

I rarely watch it these days, Nick Hewer is not a natural TV presenter. The upside last time I watched was that Richard Digance was the DC guest.

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I too detest "So" as an automatic sentence starter.

Even worse is "OK so ...."  This seems to be particularly prevalent on Mumsnet, not that I go there often these days. 

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

I too detest "So" as an automatic sentence starter.

Even worse is "OK so ...."  This seems to be particularly prevalent on Mumsnet, not that I go there often these days. 

Second that.

Other pet hates are the insertion of an entirely superfluous 'even' or 'actually' e.g. 'I'm not even joking', a particular favourite of a young womble of mine

• Like 1

Sew, who saw how to make a patchwork quilt on C4 last night? 

• Haha 2

Personally, I could not give a rats fuck how a sentence is started.

What it says is of more importance.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 19:10, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Personally, I could not give a rats fuck how a sentence is started.

What it says is of more importance.

I see a case for it when speaking rather than writing, as it acts like an early warning that you're going to say something - like a verbal clearing of the throat.

If you say "So ...." (or another word such as Well .... or Anyway ....) you may get the listener's attention before you say anything important.  People often miss the first thing you say.

When answering the phone at work I would always say "Good morning,  Acme Explosives" rather than "Acme Explosives, good morning", because the latter often resulted in the caller saying "Is that Acme Explosives?"

However in the written word there is no need for this tactic.

• Like 1

There are very few cases where its necessary or advantageous even in spoken English. Its just a habit; if you ever watch Pointless, see how many times contestants begin a sentence with'so' even when they're answering a question, and thus everyone is expecting them to speak. Beginning a sentence with 'so' is this decade's rising inflection - generally unnecessary and annoying.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2020 at 12:02, time said:

I've started watching Grey's Anatomy on Prime Video. There're 15 seasons, totalling 342 episodes. I wonder how many episodes I'll get through before I get bored & look for something else?  

On 07/11/2020 at 13:47, time said:

It could be, I'm only a couple of episodes in and there are certainly soapy elements, but then I think that applies to the majority of drama these days. I'll be surprised if I can stick it out till the end; I might have to backtrack and finish off something else I got bored with. 

I stuck it out for all 342 episodes. Like all programmes that last for any length of time, quality suffers as time passes. When its good, its very good, but there's not enough of the good in the later seasons. There's also so much to dislike about it. Having said that, watching one episode per week, with months between seasons, some of the things I balked at I probably wouldn't have noticed. Binge-watch at your own risk.

I wonder if I'd have stuck with it for 15 years (& counting) watching weekly, as originally intended.

Watched some peaky blinders. Got to series 2 episode 3 and gave up.  Didn't grab me at all.

Now started watching the sopranos from S1 ep1. I'll let you know how far I got/get. 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 15:18, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

So... Anne Robinson then.

Nice to see a young up-and-coming presenter get a chance.