Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

19 minutes ago, time said:

So... Anne Robinson then.

Nice to see a young up-and-coming presenter get a chance.

Probably younger than the average Countdown viewer

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Probably younger than the average Countdown viewer

While this may be true, its also irrelevant. Richard Whiteley was under 40 when he began the show (only 61 when he died). Why, just because the show is deemed to have an 'elderly' audience, do YTV/C4 deem it must have an elderly presenter? I'd have even preferred Sandi Toksvig (a mere 61) - she's done all the others so why not?

5 hours ago, time said:

While this may be true, its also irrelevant. Richard Whiteley was under 40 when he began the show (only 61 when he died). Why, just because the show is deemed to have an 'elderly' audience, do YTV/C4 deem it must have an elderly presenter? I'd have even preferred Sandi Toksvig (a mere 61) - she's done all the others so why not?

When Des O'Connor got the job there was discussion about giving it to Paul Merton. I think he would be great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

When Des O'Connor got the job there was discussion about giving it to Paul Merton. I think he would be great.

I'm not sure; I tend to think Paul Merton likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much and I generally don't find him as funny as he finds himself.

• Like 1

I don't really watch TV shows anymore, Wynonna Earp i guess?

• Like 1

A bit behind here but I’ve just now watched the series It’s A Sin. My eyes did watery things to a fucking telly show for the first time in fuck knows how long. Entertaining, enlightening and heartbreaking. A masterpiece.

8 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

A bit behind here but I’ve just now watched the series It’s A Sin. My eyes did watery things to a fucking telly show for the first time in fuck knows how long. Entertaining, enlightening and heartbreaking. A masterpiece.

I am very much trying to uuhh.. look out for that one... on the internet.

I've discovered bt sport film documentaries recently. Watched 'ours' (a look at different models for football club ownership) and also 'team of the 80s' (Crystal Palace under Allison and venables) this week. 

Recommended  if you have bt sport and want to hear about personal stories behind the headlines. Others concerning Bosman, the crazy gang and channel 4s screening of Italian football in the 90s are worth watching 

I watched Behind Her Eyes on Netflix.  A six-parter that seemed like a run-of-the-mill infidelity love-triangle thing, but it took an unexpected turn and had a WTF denouement.

I enjoyed it, but some will think it was utter bollocks.  Eve Hewson (Bono's daughter) was one of the leads, she was very very good, I hadn't seen her in anything before.

Now catching up with an ITV series, Unforgotten, police procedural on cold cases.  Enjoyed the first series, fantastic cast, and on the second one now. 

I'm not a fan of Nicola Walker though, she's been the same in everything I've ever seen her in so if she has any range at all I've yet to see it.

I really liked Unforgotten.  I can understand what you're saying about Nicola Walker but she suited that role (and what she did in Last Tango in Halifax as well).

Apologies if these have come up earlier in this forum but I haven't been following.  Two shows I've recently got to the end of: What We Do in the Shadows - a mockumentary about vampires.  Absolutely hilarious.   The other one was Lovesick.  A show about a young bloke who finds out he had chlamydia and then contacts his past sex partners to tell them but also find out about why things went wrong.  Quite a few laugh out loud moments and an engaging narrative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_T said:

I really liked Unforgotten.  I can understand what you're saying about Nicola Walker but she suited that role

Apparently it was written with the intention that she should play that character, so there it is.

Recently got Apple TV. The Morning show (with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon) was quite good but not great, both the stars were outacted by a couple of other cast members. Ted Lasso is a fish-out-of-water yank out of his depth in England comedy. Sort of thing you could imagine Chevy Chase or Steve Martin starring in 30 years ago. Not bad but should have been a film  rather than the 8-part series it was dragged out into and there is apparently a  (IMO unnecessary) second series in the can. 

Dickinson is a bit weird but enjoyable nevertheless. Jane Krakowski is in it, who used to steal every scene she was in in Ally McBeal 20 years ago, she's very good in this as well. No idea what she's been doing for the last 20 years but surprised she hasn't had a 'bigger' career.

I'm currently watching The Shield, starring Michael Chiklis as the missing Mitchell brother.

The Shield, starring Michael Chiklis | Best tv shows ...

An hour into Coming to America 2.  Switched it off, utter shite. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2021 at 23:01, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Dickinson is a bit weird but enjoyable nevertheless. Jane Krakowski is in it, who used to steal every scene she was in in Ally McBeal 20 years ago, she's very good in this as well. No idea what she's been doing for the last 20 years but surprised she hasn't had a 'bigger' career.

The second series is not as good as the first and they've used different writers as well, so the characterisation has gone all over the shop.

Also, despite the presence of a number of attractive actresses in the cast, there has been a collective and lamentably abject failure to flash more than a bit of shoulderblade when the occasion has demanded, even when two of them are in bed together, which has only added to my sense of disappointment.

On 06/03/2021 at 08:34, Paul Bearer said:

An hour into Coming to America 2.  Switched it off, utter shite. 

Took me about 15 minutes

How many straight points do you lose if you can name more contestants on UK Drag Race then current members of the England football squad?

A Call to Spy (netflix)   - about civilian girls sent to occupied France to set up support networks for the resistance - good, if not life-changingly so

The Bankers - about 2 black guys buying properties and ultimately 2 banks in the US in the 50s/60s. Stars Samuel L Jackson. Recommeneded.

Don't watch much on television at all - but did get stuck into Line of Duty last night. 

So, the surviving armed robbers (let's assume the one shot is definitely dead), they were out of their league and likely put up to the job by more serious criminals, when Joanne (Kelly MacDonald) screamed "Shit, shit, shit!!!" as one of the gang got shot it was because she knew there'd be a price to pay, because the diversion to that robbery was part of her plan all along. So, the first big lead in episode two comes from one of the remaining robbers shitting himself, out of his depth and giving away something that allows AC-12 and the rank and file police to start making connections, or am I wrong?

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Don't watch much on television at all - but did get stuck into Line of Duty last night. 

So, the surviving armed robbers (let's assume the one shot is definitely dead), they were out of their league and likely put up to the job by more serious criminals, when Joanne (Kelly MacDonald) screamed "Shit, shit, shit!!!" as one of the gang got shot it was because she knew there'd be a price to pay, because the diversion to that robbery was part of her plan all along. So, the first big lead in episode two comes from one of the remaining robbers shitting himself, out of his depth and giving away something that allows AC-12 and the rank and file police to start making connections, or am I wrong?

It's all to do with the rent boy and the jizz as far as I could make out Mary.

• Haha 2

On 06/03/2021 at 00:28, time said:

I'm currently watching The Shield, starring Michael Chiklis as the missing Mitchell brother.

The Shield, starring Michael Chiklis | Best tv shows ...

I've finished The Shield, pretty good, certainly not your typical cop show. Up next for me probably The Terror, on BBC iPlayer. Its a couple of years old, based on the eponymous book about the eponymous ship. I have vague recollection of the expedition being mentioned hereabouts some years ago. (edit: here in fact - 

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Almost certainly. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Grim Up North said:

It's all to do with the rent boy and the jizz as far as I could make out Mary.

Aye, that was a typical Jed Mercurio dive into darkness - whether the "suspect" hit the paperwork whilst standing on the floor or whether his hard-case co-occupant took a used tissue and smeared it...well, either way, not a plot item you'd see in Corrie, eh?

Speaking of Jizz - a link to the footballer who boasts that as a first name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jizz_Hornkamp

918RSdiU4PL.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

918RSdiU4PL.jpg

That is a fantastic collection of short stories. Unfortunately I don't have that edition.