Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

That is a fantastic collection of short stories. Unfortunately I don't have that edition. 

Nor I.  I think I may still have a tatty copy picked up in a junk shop when it was out of print.

The cover of course illustrates the very amusing story about the dragon egg that hatched in Wales.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Nor I.  I think I may still have a tatty copy picked up in a junk shop when it was out of print.

The cover of course illustrates the very amusing story about the dragon egg that hatched in Wales.

The best story in the collection which so deserves to be turned into a short film with Michael Sheen in it.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 15:25, time said:

Up next for me probably The Terror, on BBC iPlayer. Its a couple of years old, based on the eponymous book about the eponymous ship. I have vague recollection of the expedition being mentioned hereabouts some years ago. (edit: here in fact - 

I've just finished watching The Terror, and OMG it is stellar!

I wanted to watch this a couple of years ago when it was on Amazon Prime, but it wasn't included in the sub, it was a pay-extra option which I can't do even if I wanted to as I'm a plus-one on somebody else's Prime subscription.  So I was very pleased to find it on iPlayer.

I can't believe this didn't get shedloads of awards.  It's superbly written and acted, and I came to really care about the characters.  The best thing I've seen so far this year, and I am going to watch it again as there were so many little things seeded throughout that I will appreciate more on a rewatch.

It probably goes without saying that it's not for the faint-hearted.  I had to watch some scenes through my fingers :unsure:

Some scenes had me in tears and there was also one extremely satisfying death scene :evil2:

I can't recommend it highly enough.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've just finished watching The Terror, and OMG it is stellar!

I wanted to watch this a couple of years ago when it was on Amazon Prime, but it wasn't included in the sub, it was a pay-extra option which I can't do even if I wanted to as I'm a plus-one on somebody else's Prime subscription.  So I was very pleased to find it on iPlayer.

I can't believe this didn't get shedloads of awards.  It's superbly written and acted, and I came to really care about the characters.  The best thing I've seen so far this year, and I am going to watch it again as there were so many little things seeded throughout that I will appreciate more on a rewatch.

It probably goes without saying that it's not for the faint-hearted.  I had to watch some scenes through my fingers :unsure:

Some scenes had me in tears and there was also one extremely satisfying death scene :evil2:

I can't recommend it highly enough.

I that case, I'll go back to it (watched episode 1, went back to Fargo). Someone recommended it to me, and he's never recommended anything in his life before!

• Like 1

On 29/04/2017 at 13:05, charon said:

Lol. I was winding up re it being the neds game.

Fargo you can watch in any order season wise. Do it. Do it now. You will love Billy Bob Thornton in S1, the black dood in S2 and Thewlis in S3.
Not an option msc, its an order......watch it.

Belatedly watching S3 and I concur with Charon's findings, Thewlis is excellent (but then isn't he always?) and a surprisingly (to me) good performance from Ewan McGregor.

• Like 1

‘The Life of Jesus’ on the History Channel.

Spoiler alert: He is crucified.

Just finished The Serpent.  Wow, that was good. 

I didn't know anything about the true story depicted so it was all new to me.  Horrible and fascinating.

Excellent sense of time and place, some bravura performances and well-chosen music, and it had me on the edge of my seat several times. 

• Like 1

Just watched Life of Brian on Netflix. A film of its time that could just not be made today, very funny but not especially woke, one for the snowflakes to melt.

25 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

A film of its time that could just not be made today

And the world is poorer for that.

It nearly wasn't made at the time! Money folk pulled out of the film (due to religious pressure) and it was only the help of George Harrison's money that got it finished. 

17 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Just watched Life of Brian on Netflix. A film of its time that could just not be made today, very funny but not especially woke, one for the snowflakes to melt.

One of my favourite films.  It's a pity that they're not made like that anymore.  Makes you wonder how many films haven't been completed because of possible offence. 

13 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

One of my favourite films.  It's a pity that they're not made like that anymore.  Makes you wonder how many films haven't been completed because of possible offence. 

On that note, do you know who was actually a huge favourite among BBC producers and the like? Mary Whitehouse. Because anytime she moaned about a show or play or book, the sales/audience would increase massively overnight.

Billy Connolly used to say the same, that Pastor Jack Glass's continued denouncing of him was the best publicity Connolly could have hoped for!

The Life of Brian TV debate was quite amusing as it remains one of the only times I've seen evidence of Michael Palin losing his shit over something. That man is notoriously nice - imagine successfully pissing him off!

Life Of Brian 1979 Debate - complete - YouTube

• Like 1

Attempting to watch season 3 of Ozark (Netflix). Unfortunately, its been so long since I watched season 2, I haven't a clue who half the characters are, or if it comes down it, what the initial premise of the story is.

New series of Inside No. 9 coming soon - here's the trailer  :)

And someone has already uploaded a "eraction video" .  :D

• Like 1

So I tried some watching in preparation for the Oscars....

The Trial of the Chicago 7 - okay movie, nice performances. I'm a little tired of court movies though, and then, it's written by Aaron Sorkin, so it ends with an idealistic speech that only fits in a fantasy world.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - passes the time quickly, but also doesn't make a big impression. It's the adaptation of a play, and it feels like a stage production, especially the end, that feels a little off in a movie.

Mank - Okay, I was VERY tired yesterday, but I tried, and yet, had to turn off eventually. I mean, the movie is not a mess. The acting is good, the music (Trent Reznor) is nicely done. And yet, it's like watching paint dry.

Three movies based on real events. They are all interesting for the times they portray, but not really for the stories they decide to tell. One giant meh.

I'm looking forward to see The Father, Nomadland and Soul though.

On 04/04/2021 at 17:38, Sir Creep said:

Ahhh... you ruined me the end.

You're a bad boy, Sir Creep, you know that? :angry:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MariNisia said:
On 04/04/2021 at 16:38, Sir Creep said:

Ahhh... you ruined me the end.

You're a bad boy, Sir Creep, you know that? :angry:

604834575_spoileralert.thumb.jpg.d11d118b0b085a6c57c70bf1b3fb8131.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I'm looking forward to see The Father, Nomadland and Soul though.

"The Father" it's something I strongly recommend for you.

Excellent portrayal by Olivia Colman with a powerful performance from Anthony Hopkins.

Hopkins devours this film.

• Like 2

Worth watching a programme currently on bbc iplayer about the rebirth of derry City fc in 1985 against a backdrop of the troubles and expulsion from the Irish league by the northern Ireland fa. 

Different league - the derry City story

I saw Rocketmam on Netflix the other evening, Mrs Controller and I both enjoyed it, for the music, the acting and the period settings. Worth a view, you forget just how many good songs there were. 

Fargo returns next Sunday on Channel 4.  Complete series will be available on All4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Fargo returns next Sunday on Channel 4.  Complete series will be available on All4.

Speaking of forum favourites, Inside no 9 is back next Monday on BBC2. Set the TV to series record already.

• Like 2

Anything but the ruddy news. I have been watching Guy Martin's Battle of Britain though.

Though there's more than a few good suggestions recently on here

China’s Mars Rover Mission Lands on the Red Planet

I am eagerly awaiting the new series of robot wars from the red planet, time delays, static and arial coverage, anticipated future competitors include companies controlled by Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Apple and Uber. The new participants are all quoting benefits of remote access, AI development and improved levels of service.

A joint development between two of the newcomers is promising teleportation delivery of supplies for the project within a few years.      

I watched the two Christmas episodes of Man Down last night (4 Music), the first with Rik Mayall, the second without. As much as I love Greg Davies, that show lost a lot after Rik died.