Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

Watched Season 1 of Mosquito Coast on netflix.

It's a family on the run drama pursued by both the police and assorted baddies.

Frustratingly it is never made clear exactly what they are supposed to have done and why they are on the run but you are supposed to buy into the family and their situation nevertheless.

I didn't really, don't know when season 2 is due out but I'm not sure I can be bothered to watch any more of it without knowing exactly what s going on.

Not recommended.

2 hours ago, time said:

I watched the two Christmas episodes of Man Down last night (4 Music), the first with Rik Mayall, the second without. As much as I love Greg Davies, that show lost a lot after Rik died.

Life lost a lot when Rik died if you ask me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Watched Season 1 of Mosquito Coast on netflix.

It's a family on the run drama pursued by both the police and assorted baddies.

Frustratingly it is never made clear exactly what they are supposed to have done and why they are on the run but you are supposed to buy into the family and their situation nevertheless.

I didn't really, don't know when season 2 is due out but I'm not sure I can be bothered to watch any more of it without knowing exactly what s going on.

Not recommended.

I binged all three series of 'Motherland' recently. 

It's a sitcom about school gates parents - middle class North London Mumsnet types, so I didn't think it would be for me, but it's very funny.

The children are just background accessories, it's all about the adults.

Give it a go, but start at the beginning because the character development is part of the humour.  Great writing and great cast.

BBC iPlayer or Netflix.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I binged all three series of 'Motherland' recently. 

It's a sitcom about school gates parents - middle class North London Mumsnet types, so I didn't think it would be for me, but it's very funny.

The children are just background accessories, it's all about the adults.

Give it a go, but start at the beginning because the character development is part of the humour.  Great writing and great cast.

BBC iPlayer or Netflix.

I did that too and agree very good - my favourite was crazy night out at start of second series. I thought the third series was the weakest which I think was when Sharon Horgan was no longer writing, but still good.

37 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I did that too and agree very good - my favourite was crazy night out at start of second series. I thought the third series was the weakest which I think was when Sharon Horgan was no longer writing, but still good.

Oh, I don't know - it had one of my favourite lines which was Anne's response when Amanda said "You used to work in Gregg's, didn't you?"  :lol: and then the way she barely reacted.

(No spoilers!)

Amazing to think that Anna Maxwell Martin was being Patricia Carmichael in Line of Duty and Julia in Motherland at the same time.  So versatile.

Taking advantage of the half-price summer offer, I've just signed up for Britbox. Add on the 30 day free trial and that's four months for £8.97. Whether or not there's enough to keep me entertained for 4 months is still TBD, but early signs are encouraging (Doctor Who, Blake's 7, Mr. Benn; lots of Film 4 stuff). Either way, it's cheaper than Netflix (which I haven't watched much of lately).

• Like 1

UK people - has anyone watched any of the coverage of the Hundred (that's the cricket thing not the sci-fi thing)? If so, what do you think of the presentation - particularly of the BBC as that's all I've watched (I don't susbscribe to Sky Sports)? The on-screen graphics have attracted particular criticism.

Just finished binge watching the third series of Ghosts. While it wasn't quite on as brilliant as the second series, it was still lovely stuff.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 12:39, time said:

UK people - has anyone watched any of the coverage of the Hundred (that's the cricket thing not the sci-fi thing)? If so, what do you think of the presentation - particularly of the BBC as that's all I've watched (I don't susbscribe to Sky Sports)? The on-screen graphics have attracted particular criticism.

The stupid flares are the worst bit. I watched some at my Father-in-law's and he watches with the sound turned off so once you have deciphered the graphics there is a lot of useful information there. I was concerned by the junk food sponsorship of the kits

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

Just finished binge watching the third series of Ghosts. While it wasn't quite on as brilliant as the second series, it was still lovely stuff.

Just about to watch the last episode

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

This is a programme that had completely escaped my attention until recently, when it seemed as though the papers had only just discovered Charlotte Ritchie. Must give it a watch - is on BBC and are all three series available on iPlayer?

I haven't watched anything for ages. 

I can't get Now TV any more which is really disappointing.  Previously it was an option on my Vodafone package, but now the choice has been reduced to Spotify (not interested), YouTube Premium (ditto) or Amazon Prime which I can get through other means.  Netflix no longer an option either.  So I didn't bother.  Now TV has increased their prices and generally changed things round, so that must have a bearing on it.  It's really not worth my while subscribing to it, but it was handy to have it for the occasional things I watched.

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The stupid flares are the worst bit. I watched some at my Father-in-law's and he watches with the sound turned off so once you have deciphered the graphics there is a lot of useful information there. I was concerned by the junk food sponsorship of the kits

Yes, the graphics do take some deciphering, but the information is only the same as presented for other formats, so it strikes me as different for the sake of being different. Some of the other things that particular annoyed me - 

- the false(-sounding) bonhomie of Vaughan & Tufnell, which sadly Isa Guha seems to have caught. Its worse than anything I've ever heard  on TMS.

- the constant cutting away to the pros around the ground for their opinion (does it add anything, having a chat with Carlos Brathwaite about Halle Berry in between balls?)

- the Vick Hope vox pops with kids, which just grate after the first couple of times.

The sponsorship has raised a few eyebrows as the competitions stated target audience is women & kids and targeting junk food ads at kids is supposedly a no-no!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, time said:

This is a programme that had completely escaped my attention until recently, when it seemed as though the papers had only just discovered Charlotte Ritchie. Must give it a watch - is on BBC and are all three series available on iPlayer?

Yes all three, stick with it. The first series is a bit hit and miss but there are enough laughs to keep you going.  The second series does some quite inventive things and is really nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NCIS anyone? It is apparently Teresa May's favourite program. I've watched some and I'm not sure if its bad, good, good in parts or so-bad-its-good. Who'd have thought the US Navy was such a magnet for crime.

It's 'of its time' I guess, featuring such delights as workplace bullying and sexual harassment, and at times anti-Arab/muslim sentiment (it started a coupleof years post 9/11, so...), but one or two storylines aren't bad.

To whoever asked how come Grey's Anatomy kept on getting renewed, this would appear to be the baseline standard!

Had a day off so I spent almost all of it watching Sex Education on Netflix. No regrets; I loved it.

• Like 1

New series of Taskmaster has started. The line up this series is terrific. I’m slightly in love with Morgana Robinson.

Russell T. Davis to retake the helm of Doctor Who after Chibnall leaves following next yer's run.

Well, not TV but cinema, the new Dune movie....

I guess David Lynch got through the plot in half the time? The new movie looks great, and is more about floating in that world. But like Blade Runner 2049 by the same director, kind of half an hour too long. I'm not sure if I should give 7/10 or 8/10.

• Like 2

Started watching 'Squid Game' on Netflix.  (Currently on ep 4) It's pretty weird so far.  A bunch of people are drugged and transported to an island where they all have to play kids games.  If you are unsuccessful, you're eliminated. (By saying eliminated, I mean shot and killed). 

2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Started watching 'Squid Game' on Netflix.  (Currently on ep 4) It's pretty weird so far.  A bunch of people are drugged and transported to an island where they all have to play kids games.  If you are unsuccessful, you're eliminated. (By saying eliminated, I mean shot and killed). 

Gets better neat the end, pretty messed up in Korea.

Watched The Two Popes a while ago. A great movie.

• Like 2

On 26/09/2021 at 22:04, Charlotte's Controller said:
On 26/09/2021 at 19:09, Paul Bearer said:

Gets better neat the end, pretty messed up in Korea.

Really?  I thought the first half was better. 

It kept me watching, despite the plot holes, and the design is fabulous.

I didn't like the ending.  It was obviously set up for a continuation which I don't think was originally intended by the author.

I see there are complaints about the subtitles, of which there seem to be different versions.  I watched the dubbed version and had subtitles up as well  (I always do because there's so much mumbling and poor diction).  There was a lot of difference between the two.