Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

Really?  I thought the first half was better. 

It kept me watching, despite the plot holes, and the design is fabulous.

I didn't like the ending.  It was obviously set up for a continuation which I don't think was originally intended by the author.

I see there are complaints about the subtitles, of which there seem to be different versions.  I watched the dubbed version and had subtitles up as well  (I always do because there's so much mumbling and poor diction).  There was a lot of difference between the two.

I haven't watched it yet but will once I've got through Sex Education.

The subtitles to avoid seem to be the Closed Caption ones, apparently the English subtitles are not as bad although still miss some important subtleties.

Who knew there were different subtitles?

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

The subtitles to avoid seem to be the Closed Caption ones, apparently the English subtitles are not as bad although still miss some important subtleties.

Who knew there were different subtitles?

I didn't actually do anything, the subtitles came up automatically as I almost always have them on so I guess they were the English subtitles.

There were some options onscreen, the dubbed version must have been the preselected default and I didn't change it.  That would be through lethargy and apathy rather than an informed choice!  :D

I watched The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret recently (Britbox). I'd never heard of it before and I've no idea why I started watching it (might have been because Sharon Horgan's in it), but I'm glad I did, seasons/series 1 & 2 especially. Cringe comedy at its finest (It won't be everyone's cup of tea but if you liked Ricky Gervais before he became a twat you'll enjoy it).

2 minutes ago, time said:

I watched The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret recently (Britbox). I'd never heard of it before and I've no idea why I started watching it (might have been because Sharon Horgan's in it), but I'm glad I did, seasons/series 1 & 2 especially. Cringe comedy at its finest (It won't be everyone's cup of tea but if you liked Ricky Gervais before he became a twat you'll enjoy it).

Was there ever such a time? :P

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Was there ever such a time? :P

I knew I should have been more specific.

• Haha 1

On 05/10/2021 at 15:20, Toast said:

I didn't actually do anything, the subtitles came up automatically as I almost always have them on so I guess they were the English subtitles.

There were some options onscreen, the dubbed version must have been the preselected default and I didn't change it.  That would be through lethargy and apathy rather than an informed choice!  :D

I watched the first one last night just using the auto selected dubbed version - I would have gone one of the subtitle routes but didn't because of the criticisms of them although no idea if the dubbed versions also miss the subtleties.

One episode in I'm enjoying it. Slow to set the scene but I'm patient enough to allow 9 parters to do that and lots of promise. My main criticism of Vigil and similar is that if I don't care about the characters then I don't care about their fate and then I'm disengaged whereas they've spent the time to let me know a main character and his reason for playing the game and I'm guessing we'll get a few more back stories in the next few episodes as the 'cast' quickly plummet to only the main characters being left.

• Like 1

Brassic, on Sky. Best new sitcom in ages.

I've watched both series of Dave, which I'd describe as (possibly) 'Woody Allen-meets-Ali G in series 2 of Extras', and which I've enjoyed a lot.  Watched the first episode of the Stephen Merchant comedy-thriller The Outlaws, which I'll reserve judgment on for now and give another chance to get going.

Guilt  (BBC Scotland)

Currently series 2, and I missed the first one so am catching up.  Only 4 episodes apiece, so easily done.

Very enjoyable,  a sort of Scottish Fargo.

Update on this - I'm finding S2 very difficult to follow and have had to rewatch the first 2 episodes.  There are some blink-and-you-miss-it moments which are holding the story together.  Poor story-telling compared with S1.  As it's only 4 episodes I'll put in the effort, but I wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't seen S1.

It hasn't helped that they've recast the character played by Bill Paterson on S1.

Dr Who is so fucking bad.....and I mean BAD.

There may be no coming back for it.

13 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It's no Robot of Sherwood, as they say. I watched last night's episode and thought it a mess; Jodie Whitaker (and others but mostly her) spent half the episode explaining what was going on, rather than just let the story unfold by the medium of moving pictures! FWIW I think Chibnall is trying to be too clever, and seems to be trying to leave some sort of legacy. Hopefully when RTD resumes his role as showrunner we can get some decent writing.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 18:36, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I'm quite enjoying this series actually. Even Gallifrey Base is rating the episodes high. If you compare them to two years ago then these episodes have been better.

I enjoy them better than S1 with Eccleston. Then again I never liked him as The Doctor so that might be it.

11 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I'm quite enjoying this series actually. Even Gallifrey Base is rating the episodes high. If you compare them to two years ago then these episodes have been better.

I enjoy them better than S1 with Eccleston. Then again I never liked him as The Doctor so that might be it.

I liked Eccleston, he was complex, a bit dark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I liked Eccleston, he was complex, a bit dark.

He was also good enough to cover up the cracks in RTD's writing on first watching.

Possibly the best actor to have played The Doctor - not necessarily the best Doctor but a fantastic actor

• Like 1

Never one to pass up a bargain, I took advantage of Disney+'s offer of £2.00 for the month. Might keep it over Christmas/New Year, which'll wotk out at £5/month and obviously gets less cost-effective should I go for a third month, but I don't intend to.

Anyway, I can now watch My Name is Earl in its entirety, which is reason enough for investing in it, plus they've got loads of films on there which aren't available on other platforms.

I also discovered that by virtue of having an LG TV I can get 3 months of Apple TV free! At this rate I won't have to renew Netflix until BCS Season VI starts!

21 minutes ago, time said:

I also discovered that by virtue of having an LG TV I can get 3 months of Apple TV free!

Oh , how does that work?  I've got an LG TV.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Oh , how does that work?  I've got an LG TV.

I can't speak for all LG TV's, but on mine, if I press the 'HOME' button on the remote and scroll to the LG Content Store, the option is there. 

• Thanks 1

Star Trek Discovery is off Netflix now and moved to Paramount+. Another new streaming platform.

I'm pissed off. Guess i'm going to pirate it from somewhere because no idea what else is on Paramount+ to make it all worth buying a subscription. I already have subscription to Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime and Britbox.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Star Trek Discovery is off Netflix now and moved to Paramount+. Another new streaming platform.

I'm pissed off. Guess i'm going to pirate it from somewhere because no idea what else is on Paramount+ to make it all worth buying a subscription. I already have subscription to Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime and Britbox.

I am paying for Netflix so my daughter can use it. Her boyfriend was paying for Britbox so I was using that but I am not going to do any more different subscriptions.

I wanted to watch Foundation but that was on Amazon. I will wait till it is somewhere I can see it for free

Daughter's boyfriend has stopped paying for Britbox now.

• Like 1

I'm currently only paying for basic Netflix.

I have access to Amazon via my neighbour's account.

I did have Sky via NowTV as part of my Vodafone contract, but it's no longer an option.  Shame because I want to watch the new series of Britannia.  There are offers, but they include stuff I don't want.  I just want the Entertainment package, which is not-films not-sport not-kids but everything else.

18 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I'm currently debating with myself whether to pirate...

... too many subscriptions already...

It's like Cable packages.

• Like 1

Starting on 'Succession'; I've been reading so many good things about it, its bound to be a disappointment.

The Greatest Snowman (Channel 4, Christmas Eve) is 90 minutes long but you only need to see the first half hour.

Sue Perkins saying "ready, steady, snow", the creepy twins always at her side to critique the celebrities attacking huge snow blocks with chainsaws, Dani Dyer having the drawing skills of a toddler and making a big old crater where her snow doll's face should be. Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen is told not to carve out the underbelly of his lion sculpture, but gets cocky and does it anyway (the fool! This is the part where I'm supposed to flex my knowledge of structural mechanics). When the torso shears off and rolls away, he fixes it by kicking the whole thing on its side because it looks like it's asleep. Potential cult classic.