Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

Watching the doco about Robert Maxwell at the mo.

Quite interesting.

Just sayin, like.

41 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Quite interesting.

Just sayin, like.

He was a thieving Bastard.  Stole millions from the pension fund.  

1 minute ago, Paul Bearer said:

He was a thieving Bastard.  Stole millions from the pension fund.  

Yep.

Arthur Fowler did the same thing in Eastenders.

He stole the Christmas fund to pay for a wedding with the idea that he could pay it all back before anybody found out.

I assumed that Maxwell was more intelligent. He wasn't.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Quite interesting.

Just sayin, like.

Is that the BBC2 doc? Its on my to-watch list.

Always liked the story of one of his sons (Kevin?) & family being woken up one morning in the early days of the fallout from his death. Assuming it to be the  press, his wife shouting at them to piss off before she called the police, to be met with the retort, madam we are the police.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the time Private Eye printed a genuine extract from a Charles Dickens novel, purporting to be an account of Maxwell.  I can't remember which character or which novel it was, but it was spookily accurate.  I sent it to my mum, who was a Dickens fan and had read everything he wrote.  She loved it.

I'll come back and edit if I remember more about it.

Well, amazingly I've found the actual cutting.  Looked inside a book of my mum's where she kept odd scraps and notes, and there it was.

I'll post it here and possibly somewhere else if there's a more appropriate thread.

Enjoy!

272153724_RobertMaxwellPrivateEye.thumb.jpg.16b2921e46cad2cbf002cd2ca4887ca0.jpg

• Like 1

On 03/04/2022 at 21:54, Toast said:

Awwww I've finished TLK.  What a superb series this has been.   Shamefully overlooked, it should have picked up loads of awards.

I've particularly enjoyed the parade of villains.  Such a variety of baddies over 46 episodes.

And Haesten :P

Just finished it!, You're right, its been superb. Now I want to watch from S1 again. To think, I only stumbled across this accidentally all those years ago (Back in the BBC2 days).  

Not long now until Better Call Saul S6!

I've been watching a few episodes of the first season of Ukrainian political satire comedy series Servant of the People (2015) starring Volodymyr Zelenskyy as Vasily Holoborodko, a high school teacher who is elected President of Ukraine. 

A bit uncanny I'd say but this far it's been great. 

Watched both seasons of The Mandalorian from my sickbed within two days. I've never seen any show being so good at what it does without anything that makes it truly "great". So well-produced, polished, slick, but also a bit repetitive - as I watched episode after episode. Season 1 is fresher, but Season 2 is just "Season one - part two".

In the post-main event spin-off world I think I actually prefer the clunkier, but fresher Picard, just to add to the eternal Star Wars vs Star Trek debate. The death of cinema and rise of streaming has been surprisingly good for the latter.

• Like 2

Belatedly watched Coda (a film but streamed so on telly). Enjoyed it without feeling that I was immersed in a creation of oscar-winning greatness. Fundamentally a quality sunday afternoon family film with a predictable feelgood ending. I guess the disabled family overcoming adversity to triumph trope ticked a few of the right boxes.

Currently watching Severance. It's OK but 5 episodes in the big questions that arose early in episode 1 (principally 'what the hell is going on?') still haven't been asnwered. I see it's just been renewed for a second season. If I'm still in the dark at the end of season 1 I won't come back for seconds.

More prosaically, quite enjoyed the new Lee Mack quiz on saturday, mainly because of him. Given that the eventual winner had been featured several times in preceding rounds before she got to the final against 2 people who we hadn't seen before, it was pretty obvious who was going to win though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Belatedly watched Coda (a film but streamed so on telly). Enjoyed it without feeling that I was immersed in a creation of oscar-winning greatness. Fundamentally a quality sunday afternoon family film with a predictable feelgood ending. I guess the disabled family overcoming adversity to triumph trope ticked a few of the right boxes.

Currently watching Severance. It's OK but 5 episodes in the big questions that arose early in episode 1 (principally 'what the hell is going on?') still haven't been asnwered. I see it's just been renewed for a second season. If I'm still in the dark at the end of season 1 I won't come back for seconds.

More prosaically, quite enjoyed the new Lee Mack quiz on saturday, mainly because of him. Given that the eventual winner had been featured several times in preceding rounds before she got to the final against 2 people who we hadn't seen before, it was pretty obvious who was going to win though.

I watched CODA a couple of weeks ago, with seemingly the same opinion; some good bits, some fairly predictable (e.g. the ending) but worth a viewing I think. I was quite surprised Emilia Jones didn't figure in the Academy's thinking.

Anyway, s3 of Derry Girls began last night. As good as S1&2 (well the first episode is!)

Finished Episode 3 of Moon Knight and i'm already prepared to write fanfiction about my fav characters. I love it.

Inside no 9 with Diane Morgan and Daisy Haggard in episodes too. :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

and Jason Isaacs :wub:

• Like 1

Station Eleven - Post apocalyptic tale of thesps touring in some sort of caravan that somehow is more important to them than eating. It jumps about all over the place with the timeline which is a device I'm not fond of at the best of times unless it's completely unavoidable - and here it is not - this series is just taking liberties with it for style points or something which simply serves to piss me off even more than I already was by the lame generic storyline.  Never really got the point and bailed on 7 of 10 which shows more stamina than I thought I had or a misguided and pig-headed belief that something will improve when I know deep in my soul that it won't. It was lauded by some writer in the Grauniad whilst being simultaneously poised to be demoted to second place on their list for the year so far by :-

Severance - Only 3 episodes into this but already it's more interesting than the above, not least because the premise is at least a new twist if not a completely new idea rather than yet another "after the apocalypse" story that is going to have to be quite something to stand out from the thousands of times it's been done before (the above emphatically does not). Based on the premise that in a near future or parallel present your brain can be divided into working life and home life with a divider that cannot be crossed, so the one knows nothing about the other. Of course this plays with notions of self and also the lengths corporations go to to control your every waking/working thought which has been done before, but at least this is a different twist and thus far has not irked me for wasting my time in the way the preceding has.

Original review by a member of that band mumford and sons or somebody is here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, En Passant said:

Station Eleven - Post apocalyptic tale of thesps touring in some sort of caravan that somehow is more important to them than eating. It jumps about all over the place with the timeline which is a device I'm not fond of at the best of times unless it's completely unavoidable - and here it is not - this series is just taking liberties with it for style points or something which simply serves to piss me off even more than I already was by the lame generic storyline.  Never really got the point and bailed on 7 of 10 which shows more stamina than I thought I had or a misguided and pig-headed belief that something will improve when I know deep in my soul that it won't. It was lauded by some writer in the Grauniad whilst being simultaneously poised to be demoted to second place on their list for the year so far

I read the book this is based on.  I didn't think it was very good.  There wasn't a proper ending so you haven't missed much.

• Like 1

New series of Taskmaster starting right now on 4. Best show on television.

22 hours ago, msc said:

Oh no. Morgan is an instant turn off for me, but that's the episode with Mark Gatiss, so I guess I will have to put up with her.

19 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Oh no. Morgan is an instant turn off for me, but that's the episode with Mark Gatiss, so I guess I will have to put up with her.

Nooooo!  Don't you like Motherland?

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Nooooo!  Don't you like Motherland?

Never seen it. I saw she was in the trailer and didn't watch. 

2 hours ago, Handrejka said:

Never seen it. I saw she was in the trailer and didn't watch. 

Oh, you're missing a gem.  She's very good in it, quite understated compared to some of her performances.  But she's just one of the characters, not the lead.

Start from the beginning if you decide to watch it.  The character development is a joy.

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

Oh, you're missing a gem.  She's very good in it, quite understated compared to some of her performances.  But she's just one of the characters, not the lead.

Start from the beginning if you decide to watch it.  The character development is a joy.

It is great, though also a bit too near the bone, too. Paul Ready's Kevin was so close to reality a lot of the time I couldn't tell if they were laughing with me or at me. :D

• Haha 1

Better Call Saul aired streamed the first 2 episodes last night, it didn't disappoint.

Derry Girls S3e2, as expected, laugh out loud funny.

Inside No. 9 s7 begins tonight, but I have a thing on, so will have to watch on catch-up - no spoilers!