Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

I'm watching NBA playoffs bit I do like a star wars rewatch a new hope is probably my favourite movie of all time so I will probably watch that again

On 14/04/2022 at 21:09, Handrejka said:

Oh no. Morgan is an instant turn off for me, but that's the episode with Mark Gatiss, so I guess I will have to put up with her.

Turned out to be the first one in the series.  Have you watched it yet, @Handrejka ?  What did you think?

I'm saving it for the weekend, but I'm surprised it's taken this long for Mark Gatiss to show up in the series. I guess he's often quite busy tbf.

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

Turned out to be the first one in the series.  Have you watched it yet, @Handrejka ?  What did you think?

I enjoyed it and found it very poignant.

Morgan was fine in this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

I enjoyed it and found it very poignant.

Morgan was fine in this.

You'll be OK with Motherland then.

• Like 1

I’m an old dinosaur, I’ll admit. But I’m not Clarkson or Liddle or Morgan (I sincerely hope), despite occasional libertarian/free speech/sexist leanings. The MeToo and Weinstein stuff certainly had me questioning attitudes, too.

I’m also quite fascinated/repelled by Steve Coogan and his blurring of actual and onscreen dickhead persona, so I’m looking forward to bingeing his and Sarah Solemani’s sitcom (if that’s the right word) Chivalry.

And I believe they say ‘cunt’ a lot in it, another failing of mine.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.

Edit: it was pretty good, up till the last 10 mins anyway. Sadly, Sarah didn’t get her norks out . Oops…

Enjoying 'Slow Horses'. Gary Oldman is excellent and TLK fans will recognize Young Odda as a baddie wanting to cut a pakistani-born student's head off.

• Like 1

Just been watching Our Flag Means Death

Very very funny and does not always go where you expect it to.

Am I the only one on here who just LOVES the sex lives of college girls??

:eshock:

• Confused 1

The Games on ITV every day this week. I only watch Freeview about once every quarter and this is what's on‽ 1 part mildly attractive celebrities from Gooseberry's birthing thread doing sports in an underwhelming manner, 3 parts annoying presenters with dodgy veneers, 3 parts car finance adverts. Don't bother. If you've seen Splash or The Jump then you've seen them all.

Four episodes into WeCrashed. It's OK. While the leading players created something that was successful rather than being con artists, the whole 'obviously going to end badly/waiting for the bubble to burst' feel of it is quite reminiscent of Inventing Anna. At least in this one the lead is charismatic rather than obnoxious.

Just started to watch The Pentaverate on Netflix, a Mike Myers vehicle that looks as though it might be quite amusing. 

On 11/05/2022 at 14:32, Charlotte's Controller said:

Just started to watch The Pentaverate on Netflix, a Mike Myers vehicle that looks as though it might be quite amusing. 

How is it? I saw it and thought to myself that Mike Myers will never make anything good again.

Feeling a bit stuck for viewing as Derry Girls has finished and Better Call Saul is on its mid-season break (why?), I was pleased to see season 3 of The Boys is coming to Prime Video at the end of the week!

42 minutes ago, time said:

Feeling a bit stuck for viewing as Derry Girls has finished and Better Call Saul is on its mid-season break (why?), I was pleased to see season 3 of The Boys is coming to Prime Video at the end of the week!

For a one-off there's a film I enjoyed on Netflix starring Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen, The Good Liar. 

A little way in it felt familiar and it then dawned on me that I'd read the book ..... :facepalm:  so I was anticipating the twists after that.

Good story though and you can't go wrong with those leads.  Jim Carter's in it too.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

For a one-off there's a film I enjoyed on Netflix starring Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen, The Good Liar. 

A little way in it felt familiar and it then dawned on me that I'd read the book ..... :facepalm:  so I was anticipating the twists after that.

Good story though and you can't go wrong with those leads.  Jim Carter's in it too.

I've already seen that, not having any idea what it was about, just based on who was in it. Not bad.

There's three more seasons of NCIS on Disney+ so working my way through those.

Binged Heartstopper (off of Netflix) in the space of 24hrs. Watched 4 eps this morning, went out, watched the other 4 when I got in. It didn’t stop my heart, it blowtorched the icicles off it.

• Like 1

The Outlaws, BBC. Both seasons on iPlayer. Could not recommend highly enough. Sensational comedy-drama written by Stephen Merchant.

• Like 1

I have been contemplating giving up my Netflix subscription but we decided to wait because there was a new version of Jane Austen's Persuasion due for broadcast in July

Yesterday I watched the trailer for the said adaptation.

Andrew Davies once said that adapting Jane Austen is actually really easy because she feeds you really great dialogue

In the whole trailer I was struggling to detect any of Jane Austen's dialogue.

It looked like it had been made for people who find Bridgerton and Downton Abbey too demanding

Currently watching and loving too Everything I know about love and conversations with friends. They are both very girly and the latter a very intense series :wub:

I recently rewatched Boys From the Blackstuff, which I'd been planning to do since Michael Angelis' death last year. Everyone raves about Bernard Hill, but for me, Angelis' performance was the outstanding one.

What's really depressing is how much of what was written 40 years ago is still (or again) relevant today.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, time said:

I recently rewatched Boys From the Blackstuff, which I'd been planning to do since Michael Angelis' death last year. Everyone raves about Bernard Hill, but for me, Angelis' performance was the outstanding one.

What's really depressing is how much of what was written 40 years ago is still (or again) relevant today.

Never watched it at the time - your second comment makes me think I might give it a whirl.

Just finished watching Love Sick (Netflix formerly Channel 4) which I really enjoyed and am now watching The Detectorists (iPlayer) for the first time - lovely TV that gets more enjoyable with every episode.

AIDS: The Unheard Tapes.

Having fought and successfully persuaded this wasn't just a gay disease or a junkie disease back in the mid-1980s, it is heart rending to see those who survived and those who died. Obviously very much a London based documentary, it affected my community and having lost only 4 people to this disease, I count myself fortunate that there wasn't much more.

The ignorance, the hopelessness, the fear of the time. Yeah, fuck off Russell T Davies and your drama, the BBC have won with a total reality check on the truth of the hatred we endured, the deaths we apparently "deserved" the horror of watching people waste to nothing.

There's still no cure, but the faces of people who survived and take the combination drugs was choking for me. Yeah they have lives, but they live it every day. Honestly, still tell your kids to this day, get tested regularly, practice safe sex and be kind.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

fuck off Russell T Davies and your drama

I watched that and I thought it was crap.

• Like 1