Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

Just now, Toast said:

I watched that and I thought it was crap.

Sanitised waffle.

Spend three hours of your time watching the BBC doc, it really strikes you. Hard. In the face. And HIV infection hasn't gone away. A reminder.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, time said:

The Railway Children is currently available on BBC iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018jv82/the-railway-children.

I haven't seen this since it first came out, might have a watch later.

I can't watch the end of that anymore, not since I lost my dad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've cancelled Netflix as I hadn''t watched anything on it for a while, and I want to watch House Of The Dragon, the Game of Thrones spin-off, which starts on HBO next month.  So I've signed up Now TV again.  I haven't had a Now sub for a couple of years now.  There's an offer which ends today which gives you both Entertainment and Films as a half-price package for two months, so that will be a tenner.  I would rather have paid a fiver for Entertainment on its own, but I'll take it. 

They've got this new rip-off extra called Boost which is another £5 a month.  Supposedly gets you a better picture (which we should be getting anyway) no adverts (which they didn't used to have anyway - what a nerve putting ads on a subscription service) and the ability to use three devices (of no interest to me).  The offer included a week's free trial of Boost.  But when I tried to sign up, I got a message saying I already had an offer so they'd removed Boost from my basket :blink: 

When I looked at my account it said I'd got a free trial of Boost until October ..... So there's a win :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toast said:

I've cancelled Netflix as I hadn''t watched anything on it for a while, and I want to watch House Of The Dragon, the Game of Thrones spin-off, which starts on HBO next month.  So I've signed up Now TV again.  I haven't had a Now sub for a couple of years now.  There's an offer which ends today which gives you both Entertainment and Films as a half-price package for two months, so that will be a tenner.  I would rather have paid a fiver for Entertainment on its own, but I'll take it. 

They've got this new rip-off extra called Boost which is another £5 a month.  Supposedly gets you a better picture (which we should be getting anyway) no adverts (which they didn't used to have anyway - what a nerve putting ads on a subscription service) and the ability to use three devices (of no interest to me).  The offer included a week's free trial of Boost.  But when I tried to sign up, I got a message saying I already had an offer so they'd removed Boost from my basket :blink: 

When I looked at my account it said I'd got a free trial of Boost until October ..... So there's a win :D

My Netflix may well be going once BCS finishes, and with Amazon Prime upping its price by 20%, that can go too (sod's law, my sub runs out 5 days after the increase comes into effect). I'll keep Disney+ & BT TV (which include Now TV in sub), but might drop BT sport - the amount of football I've watched since lockdown ended it'd probably work out cheaper to actually buy a ticket and see matches in person!

My main problem with Netflix is its pricing structure - if you want to watch in UHD you have to have the premium package which allows you up to four simultaneous watches, which is great for a family of four but anything less, not so much. With Prime, half the time I see a film I might enjoy, its on a Prime video 'channel', so I think I'll dip in and out of streaming services as and when - there's BFI, Paramount and who knows what else out there!

• Like 1

I might go back to Netflix later, I only need the basic price level.  But tbh there's loads of stuff on BBC iplayer which i've already paid for via the TV licence and most of which I haven't seen, so I might not bother for a while. 

I piggyback off next door's Amazon Prime but as you say the extra channels are confusing.  We had a couple of months free (or 99p) on one of them because there was some stuff I wanted to watch, but then he forgot to cancel it so I was in the doghouse for a bit.  :lol:

• Like 1

A couple of evenings ago someone on Twitter recommended Patriot on Prime Video, so I thought I'd give it a look.

The strange thing is, Amazon seems to think I'd already watched it (it gave me the "Watch Again" option) but I don't remember anything about it, except about 3 situations though ten episodes!

Anyway, its pretty good; at certain times it reminds me of Fargo, other times its doing things that would be at home in Better Call Saul, and then again, some of the music is reminiscent of Detectorists.

Season 2 still awaits.

• Like 2

I needed some escapism after what has now been three weeks of a lot of work so I started watching the Jeffrey Dahmer Story on Netflix today.

It's very good, Evan Peters is very good. 

• Like 2

I watched the first three episodes of Andor earlier. The first episode was okay, but not the best, the second episode was filler and lacked plot almost but not quite as direly as Hamilton, but the third one made up for what its precursors lacked. It is easily one of the most adult installments in the franchise as of yet, but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2022 at 14:19, gcreptile said:

I needed some escapism after what has now been three weeks of a lot of work so I started watching the Jeffrey Dahmer Story on Netflix today.

It's very good, Evan Peters is very good. 

Whilst agreeing that this is a high quality production I just feel Dahmer's story has been overdone. Ready for the 'Ed Kemper Story' or perhaps the 'Albert Fish Chronicles'.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jcc said:

Whilst agreeing that this is a high quality production I just feel Dahmer's story has been overdone. Ready for the 'Ed Kemper Story' or perhaps the 'Albert Fish Chronicles'.

Robert Black: Lust for Glory.

• Like 1

Watched Jimmy Carr Destroys Art which aired earlier in the week but is available on All4. Ignore the Jimmy Carr bit; he’s not there cracking jokes throughout. It’s just a very powerful, thought-provoking show with nuanced debate, pitting famous works of art together and having audience votes on which should be destroyed. Heavy but definitely worth a watch.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 21:55, Summer in Transylvania said:

I watched the first three episodes of Andor earlier. The first episode was okay, but not the best, the second episode was filler and lacked plot almost but not quite as direly as Hamilton, but the third one made up for what its precursors lacked. It is easily one of the most adult installments in the franchise as of yet, but enjoyable nonetheless.

The final episode of Series 1 wrapped up today. The show improved as it progressed, and I am disappointed that we will have to wait until 2024 for a sequel. 

• Like 1

The Traitors.

I'm so emotionally invested in the show, I feel drained after every episode. 

If I was in it however, I'd be out straight away. One of those faces, you know...:P

Off for a ciggie and a short lie down.

I’m also now hooked on The Traitors. I’d fucking love to do that show.

I am very much enjoying Maddy's call everyone a traitor/obliviously buddy up with the actual traitors approach to the game.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

I’m also now hooked on The Traitors. I’d fucking love to do that show.

I watch it too, but just wondering if we should know the identity of the traitors.  Would it make a better show if we didn't? 

29 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I watch it too, but just wondering if we should know the identity of the traitors.  Would it make a better show if we didn't? 

I did think that at first, but actually I quite like judging their decisions and seeing how the meetings play out.

25 minutes ago, TQR said:

I did think that at first, but actually I quite like judging their decisions and seeing how the meetings play out.

ITV did one a few years ago where the audience didn't know the killer, and it was shit. 

I think its a better show because we know, but they don't. That round table where Tom self-destructed, or Mystic Maddy, or even just revelling in how good Amanda is at the double act, wouldn't work if it was a mystery. imo.

• Like 1

Last week of the Traitors. Second series commissioned. 'mon Andrea! (She's doomed.)

What a bloody snake Wilf is! Put Alyssa on the block, then put Amanda on the block! Fuming! Hope they catch him, suspect they won't. The only one gunning for him was Maddy and she's been proven to be cuckoo now.

2 hours ago, msc said:

Last week of the Traitors. Second series commissioned. 'mon Andrea! (She's doomed.)

Andrea's easily fooled. Amanda's fate sealed when she turned on Theo.

I'm not sure they could easily do a second lot of this - personally, the show could be the death of me! 

I really don't care for any of them, tbh - it's like deciding which venomous snake you want to pull out of a bag. Maddy and Aaron will be popular picks now for the table, Hannah and Meryl will deffo make the end.

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Andrea's easily fooled. Amanda's fate sealed when she turned on Theo.

I'm not sure they could easily do a second lot of this - personally, the show could be the death of me! 

I really don't care for any of them, tbh - it's like deciding which venomous snake you want to pull out of a bag. Maddy and Aaron will be popular picks now for the table, Hannah and Meryl will deffo make the end.

Theo was Amanda's big mistake. She got too complacent unfortunately. I agree that Series 2 will lack the spontaneity and surprise element of this series. And you'll get bigger gameplayers and slimeballs I suspect. This has been brilliant because they're all so normal and unsuspecting.

• Like 1

I shall try and keep spoilers to a minimum, but Wilfred has played a couple of blinders today I think.

This might just be my favourite show of the year.

Series 2 will definitely still work; the format is dazzling and new right now but there are plenty of other twists and turns they could introduce to keep it fresh and exciting.

Am honestly thinking about applying.

• Like 1