Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

22 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

The last of us. Anybody watched it yet? 

I've 'acquired' it, but not watched yet. Can't make my mind up if I'd rather wait and binge watch it. The Grauniad liked it, but then again they liked station 11 which I thought was shite. We'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

I've 'acquired' it, but not watched yet. Can't make my mind up if I'd rather wait and binge watch it. The Grauniad liked it, but then again they liked station 11 which I thought was shite. We'll see.

Just watched the first one.  Meh, I reckon it might take a couple of episodes. 

• Like 1

Watched 'All quiet on the Western Front yesterday.  Not quite as good as I was expecting.   

Watched The Bear (Disney+)  over the last couple of days; its good, but not as good as the hype surrounding it would have you believe.

Enjoying the very overdue repeats of Early Doors on BBC4,  Saturday nights.  If you've never seen this gem of a comedy set in a backstreet pub, check it out. 

Episodes on iplayer as they're aired. There were only two series of six episodes each.  To the Regiment! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

Watched 'All quiet on the Western Front yesterday.  Not quite as good as I was expecting.   

It was a bit hard to follow as well. Couldn't keep track of who was dying

To answer the question in the title: nothing.

My inattentiveness makes it stressful for me to remember the names and faces of all the characters and, more crucially, to suspend my disbelief and make myself care about characters who I didn't know existed an hour before. I used to force myself to do so, or lie. All out of fear of judgement for saying "I don't watch TV". No one has called me a boring cunt yet, unless someone here wishes to volunteer. Much happier now :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

To answer the question in the title: nothing.

My inattentiveness makes it stressful for me to remember the names and faces of all the characters and, more crucially, to suspend my disbelief and make myself care about characters who I didn't know existed an hour before. I used to force myself to do so, or lie. All out of fear of judgement for saying "I don't watch TV". No one has called me a boring cunt yet, unless someone here wishes to volunteer. Much happier now :)

You’re a boring cunt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Watching  Norwegian  crime drama Twin  on Iplayer  . I added to my watch list and forgot about it only to realise yesterday it will be expure on Iplayer in 10 days!

It is about two identical twin brothers one of whom is  killed by his wife in a domestic and they dump his body in a lake in his twin brothers motor vehicle and make it look like the brother in law died and not the husband ie one twin impersonates  his late brother  and takes over his life while they pretend that he the poorer brother died in an accident. 

On episode 3 of 8 but it's getting very interesting!

I am also for the first time watching Spooks on Iplayer and I am hooked! Never seen the series before!

And to the surprise of no one I am watching the new series of Love Island and doing plenty of  lusting !

• Like 2

Jesus, now I'm watching The Traitors - with Americans.

And I thought our lot were shallow...

I'm already getting the palpitations though....

On 09/06/2022 at 22:12, TQR said:

The Outlaws, BBC. Both seasons on iPlayer. Could not recommend highly enough. Sensational comedy-drama written by Stephen Merchant.

Just finished the first season/series, and about to embark on the second.

My opinion FWIW, well worth watching. I was initially sceptical (despite the presence of Christopher Walken) as I'm not Stephen Merchant's biggest fan. His writing is fine, but he tends to play Stephen Merchant in every role, but it seems to work quite well in this. First episode a little underwhelming to begin with but picks up towards the end, and subsequent episodes kept me interested.

• Like 1

Update on the 'Traitors' discourse - I tried watching it (the UK version) on catch-up, got about 10 minutes into the contestants' introductions and lost the will to live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/01/2023 at 18:24, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Watching  Norwegian  crime drama Twin  on Iplayer  . I added to my watch list and forgot about it only to realise yesterday it will be expure on Iplayer in 10 days!

It is about two identical twin brothers one of whom is  killed by his wife in a domestic and they dump his body in a lake in his twin brothers motor vehicle and make it look like the brother in law died and not the husband ie one twin impersonates  his late brother  and takes over his life while they pretend that he the poorer brother died in an accident.

Started watching this yesterday after your recommend, pretty good so far. Bit of a squeeze to get all the episodes watched before they go offline in a few days.

Might not be too productive this evening...

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Imelda said:

Started watching this yesterday after your recommend, pretty good so far. Bit of a squeeze to get all the episodes watched before they go offline in a few days.

Might not be too productive this evening...

I'm glad my recommendation is working out well for you! Hope you continue to enjoy!

I have found so many good dramas  on BBC Iplayer including  Snowfall, London Kills and an Australian drama about a group of housemates in their 30s and 40s  called Five Bedrooms.  I would definitely recommend the last one to you.

Everybody's been clowning Last of Us for their outside shot of "10 miles west of Boston" and it's portrayed like the Canadian wilderness.

Y'all it's not like that at all; more like a couple Dunkin Donuts and a couple dozen pubs within walking distance, like a normal Boston suburb.

I haven't watched the show yet... behind on everything. I was intrigued by my supposed familiarity with the setting but that ain't it.

this-is-not-10-miles-outside-of-boston-1675191022.jpg

Like many TV series I am extremely late to the party, but people haven’t stopped banging on about Happy Valley recently so I’ve started on that this week, the week where the final ever episode of it will air.

Have binged series 1 so far. I’m hooked. And Sarah Lancashire and Siobhan Finneran are amazing.

4 hours ago, TQR said:

Siobhan Finneran

I was amazed when I realised this was the same actress as rita in rita sue and bob too....

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I was amazed when I realised this was the same actress as rita in rita sue and bob too....

Bob (George Costigan) is in Happy Valley too!

39 minutes ago, TQR said:

Bob (George Costigan) is in Happy Valley too!

Aye, half forgot that, and also in Line of Duty though he is more instantly recognizable (to me anyway), I had to double take Siobhan Finneran which is why I mentioned her.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TQR said:

Like many TV series I am extremely late to the party, but people haven’t stopped banging on about Happy Valley recently so I’ve started on that this week, the week where the final ever episode of it will air.

Have binged series 1 so far. I’m hooked. And Sarah Lancashire and Siobhan Finneran are amazing.

I watched S1, but gave up on S2 halfway through, for reasons which escape me now.

25 minutes ago, time said:

for reasons which escape me now.

I nearly swerved it at the same point because one aspect stretched my credulity a bit to be honest. I won't state here exactly because I don't want to inadvertently spoil anything for TQR. I'm glad I didn't though because that one issue aside I did enjoy it.

I often have an issue, as I suspect many do, where the balance between entertainment and realism is pushed so far to the entertainment side that it fails to entertain me at all.

I understand well enough that an overly realistic police procedural would be 5 1/2 episodes of paperwork and nobody needs that, but often I simply can't suspend my disbelief as far as the writers would have me do.

• Like 1

I find Happy Valley a bit grim for me. Which is saying something. 

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

I often have an issue, as I suspect many do, where the balance between entertainment and realism is pushed so far to the entertainment side that it fails to entertain me at all.

I understand well enough that an overly realistic police procedural would be 5 1/2 episodes hours of paperwork and nobody needs that, but often I simply can't suspend my disbelief as far as the writers would have me do.

My suspension of disbelief can extend quite far (as you'd probably assume from a Dr Who fan) but it has its limits. For example, in Peter Jackson films the CGI is wonderful, yes, but there's moments, especially in his King Kong, when the sequence of events couldn't physically actually happen if it was a bunch of real life dinosaurs and a giant gorilla there. They can in the film, because its just computer graphics, but when I'm reminded it IS computer graphics it loses me. 

On the other hand, I can easily lose myself in Terminator or Jurassic Park. I know they're both Stan Winston models, hell, I've seen some of the model work, but you can just suspend your disbelief entirely and take in that T Rex or the robotic Terminator being bloody real. 

Police dramas I prefer stuff like Columbo or Taggart to your NCIS's and what not. One episode Taggart spends an episode in his office going over hours of witness statements and spots a lie which turns out crucial. Top work, but it shows why most of the time they just left that off screen. :D

• Like 1

On 17/01/2023 at 19:06, Paul Bearer said:

The last of us. Anybody watched it yet? 

I've just finished it. Totally underwhelming in my opinion.

Coincidentally, the other thing I've just finished watching was also based on a computer game - Gangs of London (S1), which was much more to my taste.

28 minutes ago, time said:

I've just finished it. Totally underwhelming in my opinion.

Coincidentally, the other thing I've just finished watching was also based on a computer game - Gangs of London (S1), which was much more to my taste.

Agreed. Very underwhelming.  One of the guys in work thought it was very good, he played the game which was probably why. 

On 03/02/2023 at 01:25, lilham said:

Everybody's been clowning Last of Us for their outside shot of "10 miles west of Boston" and it's portrayed like the Canadian wilderness.

Y'all it's not like that at all; more like a couple Dunkin Donuts and a couple dozen pubs within walking distance, like a normal Boston suburb.

I haven't watched the show yet... behind on everything. I was intrigued by my supposed familiarity with the setting but that ain't it.

this-is-not-10-miles-outside-of-boston-1675191022.jpg

I watched some more of this (not finished yet), and the other Massachusetts settings at least look like Boston (well I recognized the state house; I think the museum is a fabrication but that's okay), Cumberland Farms (the gas station they stop at) and Lincoln (where the doom prepper and his boyfriend live). No idea why they screwed up so bad in making the Charles River look like the wilderness. Here's a photo of what it actually looks like in the more "rustic" areas:

guided-tours-shuttled-river-tours.jpg

• Like 1