Sign in to follow this  
deadsox

Happy Thanksgiving

It's just after 5 am on Thanksgiving Day, a splendid American holiday. We take a moment to be thankful for all our blessings. I am thankful that my wife, children and grandchildren are with me and healthy. I am also thankful that I am still working in this difficult economic period. I am always thankful to live as a free man in a country where millions of us recently turned out to vote and I can mostly do what I please. How about my DL friends?

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving Deadsox. What a touching celebration of murder and exploitation. Enjoy the turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving Deadsox. What a touching celebration of murder and exploitation. Enjoy the turkey.

That'll make him choke on his turkey.

Or will he choke his chicken :banghead:

It's just after 5 am on Thanksgiving Day, a splendid American holiday.

Perhaps you're referring to a splendid celebration in just one of the North American countries, not a celebration right across the two (North and South) American continental landmasses.

I don't think they celebrate it in Mexico, and Canada has their own on a different day, and I don't think it rates a mention in Brazil, Peru, Argentina, etc.

Godot: I am quite aware of American history, particularly New England history. It doesn't change the basic fact that this holiday is a time to reflect on our blessings.

Pete: The turkey will go down just fine, thank you. I have no need to choke the chicken.

honez: The United States is still a part of the American land mass. Let's not pretend you don't know what country I'm referring to.

All: Are you really all so jaded and negative that you can't take a moment to appreciate the unique and very fortunate position you're in? In the history of the world, there have been very few people who have enjoyed our freedom, knowledge and material comforts. If you can't appreciate that I genuinely feel sorry for you.

All: Are you really all so jaded and negative that you can't take a moment to appreciate the unique and very fortunate position you're in? In the history of the world, there have been very few people who have enjoyed our freedom, knowledge and material comforts. If you can't appreciate that I genuinely feel sorry for you.

A fair point.

My main problem would be finding who I am supposed to be giving thanks to. Ancesters, I suppose. Perhaps the rest of us need an 'ungrateful day'.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who value the meaning of gratefulness. I will sit down to a feast late this afternoone. Although, it will not be an eccentric feast. The Indians and the Pilgrams shared an eccentric feast centuries ago.

I once knew a girl who would remind you of a very young Jane Fonda and even though she was bi - polar she could really ... never mind.

I'm grateful for my my ideals, my ambitions, my optimism, my ability to understand others, wine, independence, liberty, and the present moment and all meaningful occurence time will bring

More comedy gold from the Banshees mine.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who value the meaning of gratefulness. I will sit down to a feast late this afternoone. Although, it will not be an eccentric feast. The Indians and the Pilgrams shared an eccentric feast centuries ago.

I once knew a girl who would remind you of a very young Jane Fonda and even though she was bi - polar she could really ... never mind.

I'm grateful for my my ideals, my ambitions, my optimism, my ability to understand others, wine, independance, liberty, and the present moment and all meaningful occurence time will bring

A fair point.

My main problem would be finding who I am supposed to be giving thanks to. Ancesters, I suppose. Perhaps the rest of us need an 'ungrateful day'.

Dave's right, who are we giving thanks to?

Now, what do I have to be thankful for? Two great kids - who shall I thank for them - the person that made them? That's me.

I have a roof over my head - who shall I thank for that - the person that works their ass off to pay the mortgage? That's me.

I'm relatively healthy - who shall I thank for that - the person that takes care of my body and doesn't fill it with wine and...oh hang on, I'll come back to this one.

But you get the picture.

So yes, I'll give thanks - to me. Sounds selfish? That's because I f*****g am.

I think that who or what you are thankful to depends on what you are thankful for. That's my atheist position.

I'm thankful that although my sister's surgery turned out to be more complicated than they thought it would be the surgeon had the skill to bring her through it.

I'm thankful my mother's heart is as healthy as can be expected after having a second multiple bypass. I suppose I would be thankful that she takes her medications for that one.

I'm thankful to John F. Cade (who was an Aussie, Honez) for discovering the use of lithium to treat mania.

I'm thankful my employer hasn't laid me off yet.

I'm thankful that my kids are doing well, especially since they now make their own decisions in life.

I'm thankful that I was able to go spend exorbitant amounts of money last night at the grocery store so that I can spend four hours cooking today (ok, I'm not so grateful about the four hours cooking, but it will be good when I'm done).

I'm sure there's more, but I slept in and the coffee hasn't gone systemic yet.

Oh yeah, I REALLY thankful for coffee.

It doesn't hurt to be nice sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving to you Deadsox, your family and all of our American members, I hope you have a great day ;):banghead:

It doesn't hurt to be nice sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving to you Deadsox, your family and all of our American members, I hope you have a great day :banghead:

North or South?

honez: The United States is still a part of the American land mass. Let's not pretend you don't know what country I'm referring to.

That's my point deadsox. The United States is part of the North American landmass. It is not the entire landmass nor populace of it, no matter how much it ignores everyone else.

Failure to see this is one of the reasons why the USA is regarded as arrogant, insular and self-centred.

As an example, this is like South Africans referring to their country as "Africa." Other, less important countries in Africa must, however, refer to themselves as their own country name.

We all know how stupid some US politicians sound when they refer to a continent when they thought it was a country. The reverse is also true of a nation that refers to itself as a continent.

It's just after 5 am on Thanksgiving Day, a splendid American holiday... I am always thankful to live as a free man in a country where millions of us recently turned out to vote and I can mostly do what I please. How about my DL friends?

Today I would like to give thanks to my ancestor, William, who left the Welsh Marshes 3 centuries ago and arrived on the shores of the New World with his wife and 5 children. I know that he was about 50 years old and that he settled in what is now Connecticut. I don't know if he was fleeing religious persecution or the hangman's noose, or both. Perhaps he was just an adventurer looking for something new and dangerous, which he found.

Looking at him through squeamish 21st century eyes, I have no doubt that what little I know of William's life would be more than enough to set the politically correct faction reeling to the floor in horror. He was one of the participants in a bloody fight with Native Americans in Connecticut. There is some evidence that he was no stranger to the taverns and he had a few fines levied against him for libel and civic unrest. He built a mill and worked in it, had lots and lots of grandchildren and ended his life as a sexton. He could have been my first deathlister ancestor.

William's descendants included pirates, Quakers, farmers, soldiers of fortune and a delegate in Massachusetts who refused to ratify the Constitution without the inclusion of a Bill of Rights. I have no idea if my own life would have been better or worse if William had not made the decision to board the ship which brought him and his family to these shores so many years ago. I would have been a completely different person anyway so it doesn't matter.

I am neither proud nor ashamed of my ancestry because I had no say in it, but I am terribly proud of my ancestors and the impossible and probably foolhardy courage it must have taken for them to embark for parts unknown and start a new life and build a new country. Like Deadsox, I love living in a place where I can vote and speak my mind without getting arrested by goons. That there is no small pertatoes.

Thank you, Bill.

We all know how stupid some US politicians sound when they refer to a continent when they thought it was a country. The reverse is also true of a nation that refers to itself as a continent.

Do you think it would be possible to petition the United Nations, National Geographic or maybe that lovely man Mr Palin and his exceptionally talented passe-partout to make Britain the 6th (7th or 8th depending on your views about North & South America and Antarctica) continent.

We are after all a discrete landmass which is more than I can say about our friends over the water.

dads2.jpg

[/Tongue in cheek]

Hot diggedy, I don't feel jaded and negative. I've had a Ned Flanders kind of a day full of the joys of Thanksgiving and as such would like to offer up his charming Thanksgiving prayer:

"Bless the grocer for this wonderful meat, the middleman who jacked up the price, and let's not forget the humane but determined boys at the slaughterhouse."

Okily-dokily.

turkey.jpg

It doesn't hurt to be nice sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving to you Deadsox, your family and all of our American members, I hope you have a great day :banghead:

North or South?

That's my point deadsox. The United States is part of the North American landmass. It is not the entire landmass nor populace of it, no matter how much it ignores everyone else.

Failure to see this is one of the reasons why the USA is regarded as arrogant, insular and self-centred.

As an example, this is like South Africans referring to their country as "Africa." Other, less important countries in Africa must, however, refer to themselves as their own country name.

My good wishes are aimed at any American who observes Thanksgiving.

Trying to correct a many centuries old and universally used terminology for national identity is taking pedantry to new levels and is doomed to failure. I disagree that the international perception of the USA has anything to do with the fact that it's citizens refer to themselves as Americans.

I enjoyed my Thanksgivings when I was in the US - a chance to stuff my face while watching three consecutive (American) football games.

Best wishes to all my friends from 'over there', both DLers and, like, real people.

A fair point.

Dave's right, who are we giving thanks to?

Now, what do I have to be thankful for? Two great kids - who shall I thank for them - the person that made them? That's me.

I have a roof over my head - who shall I thank for that - the person that works their ass off to pay the mortgage? That's me.

I'm relatively healthy - who shall I thank for that - the person that takes care of my body and doesn't fill it with wine and...oh hang on, I'll come back to this one.

But you get the picture.

So yes, I'll give thanks - to me. Sounds selfish? That's because I f*****g am.

Well Lardy, if you don't believe in God (which is an understandable position), how about being grateful for the millions of people who came before us, on whose shoulders we stand? Many people (and quite a few in this forum) think they are so smart and superior to those who came before. The fact of the matter is that without the accumulated knowledge they added to and passed on we would not have the easy lifestyle we enjoy. Most modern humans are far inferior to even a Cro-Magnon, who could survive in the woods indefinitely while most of us would be dead in a week.

North or South?

Good God, honez, why are you so testy? Have I expressed myself to anyone in this forum in anything but a polite way? Sure I enjoy a good argument but do I have to shoulder all the misdeeds of every American who ever offended you? (Oops, there I go again) Every country and every people in the world have been guilty of crimes against someone. The history of the world is full of them. What's so bad about being grateful and happy and wishing all the same to all of you?

North or South?

Good God, honez, why are you so testy? Have I expressed myself to anyone in this forum in anything but a polite way? Sure I enjoy a good argument but do I have to shoulder all the misdeeds of every American who ever offended you? (Oops, there I go again) Every country and every people in the world have been guilty of crimes against someone. The history of the world is full of them. What's so bad about being grateful and happy and wishing all the same to all of you?

LOL, sorry D/S my point isn't really aimed at you per se, and certainly not aimed at being grateful. It's just you're the lucky Yusan (which is what "Americans" should be called) that took the hook. I've known many Canuks over the years, and they all seem to dislike the US vehemently because of the kind of examples I gave. The US doesn't seem to notice, nor care, that they have this effect on other people. Just an observation. If my post makes just one Yusan think about it, then I'm happy (and can give thanks ;) )

• Like 1

Yusan isn't too bad, but I doubt it will catch on. Failing that, imagine trying to say "United Statesian" if you have a lisp, or while half-lit? :banghead:

It doesn't hurt to be nice sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving to you Deadsox, your family and all of our American members, I hope you have a great day :)

North or South?

LOL, sorry D/S my point isn't really aimed at you per se, and certainly not aimed at being grateful. It's just you're the lucky Yusan (which is what "Americans" should be called) that took the hook. I've known many Canuks over the years, and they all seem to dislike the US vehemently because of the kind of examples I gave. The US doesn't seem to notice, nor care, that they have this effect on other people. Just an observation. If my post makes just one Yusan think about it, then I'm happy (and can give thanks :) )

Hallelujah honez! I'm tickled that you're thankful> :banghead:;)

I am now phenomenally grateful that I have a lot of Tupperware.

Hot diggedy, I don't feel jaded and negative. I've had a Ned Flanders kind of a day full of the joys of Thanksgiving and as such would like to offer up his charming Thanksgiving prayer:

"Bless the grocer for this wonderful meat, the middleman who jacked up the price, and let's not forget the humane but determined boys at the slaughterhouse."

Okily-dokily.

turkey.jpg

Which is to say, "I am completely jaded and negative", your perpetual state as far as I can tell, Godot. If you don't like the way the "middleman" jacked up the price, you could certainly go right to the slaughterhouse and get it there couldn't you? And if you had the stomach, you could go right to the farmer and do your own slaughter and prep it for the table couldn't you? But I somehow feel as if you don't have either the guts or the work ethic to do either. You'd just rather criticize a bunch of probably hard working people that you've never met. Is that about it?

• Like 1