Sign in to follow this  
Monoclinic

Riddle Thread

You seem like an intelligent bunch so I thought I'd start a riddle thread. Remember if you google it is only yourself that you are cheating! Here are a couple to get you started.

Riddle 1

You are outside a room in which there is a traditional light bulb. You can see three switches, of which only one turns the light on. You can flick the switches on however many times you like but you can only open the door once. Once you open the door you cannot sod about with the switches. How can you determine which switch controls the light?

Riddle 2

You are given eleven identical coins of equal mass and one counterfeit coin which is either heavier or lighter than the other eleven. Your are also given a counter balance which you can use just three times to determine the counterfeit. How?

Edited for LFN and LB

You seem like an intelligent bunch so I thought I'd start a riddle thread. Remember if you google it is only yourself that you are cheating! Here are a couple to get you started.

Riddle 1

You are outside a room in which there is a traditional light bulb. You can see three switches, of which only one turns the light on. You can flick the switches on however many times you like but you can only open the door once. How can you determine which switch controls the light?

Riddle 2

You are given eleven identical coins of equal mass and one counterfeit coin which is either heavier or lighter than the other eleven. Your are also given a counter balance which you can use just three times to determine the counterfeit. How?

Riddle 1

Open the door then sod about with the switches?

Riddle 1

You are outside a room in which there is a traditional light bulb. You can see three switches, of which only one turns the light on. You can flick the switches on however many times you like but you can only open the door once. How can you determine which switch controls the light?

Riddle 2

Riddle 1

Open the door then sod about with the switches?

You beat me to that, I was sat here thinking about that for ages, thinking, well that's easy!

Riddle 3

You're in a room. In this room are 12 gargoyles each guarding a safe. In one of the 12 safes you will find some treasure, the other safes are either empty or contain a boobytrap, opening one of these boobytrapped safes will kill you. To help you determine which safe contains the treasure, each one of these gargoyles gives you a clue. However, you must take care, these creatures do not always tell the truth. Those which guard a boobytrapped safe always lie. The gargoyle which guards the treasure always tells the truth. Amongst those who guard the empty safes, some lie and some tell the truth. However you cannot tell which gargoyles lie and which gargoyles tell the truth.

Finally each gargoyle is either black or red. The clues they give are as follows:

Gargoyle 1: My safe is boobytrapped and Gargoyle 8 lies

Gargoyle 2: My safe is boobytrapped and the safe of Gargoyle 1 is empty

Gargoyle 3: The treasure is found in the safe guarded by a black gargoyle

Gargoyle 4: My safe is empty

Gargoyle 5: The treasure is not in the safe of Gargoyle 3

Gargoyle 6: Gargoyle 3 is a liar

Gargoyle 7: Gargoyle 4 tells the truth or Gargoyle 6 tells the truth

Gargoyle 8: Gargoyle 9 lies

Gargoyle 9: Gargoyle 7 tells the truth or Gargoyle 5 lies

Gargoyle 10: The safe of Gargoyle 2 is empty

Gargoyle 11: The safe of Gargoyle 10 is not boobytrapped and you need Gargoyle 12 to tell the truth to find where the treasure is hidden.

Gargoyle 12: Gargoyle 11 lies and I tell the truth.

This may or may not help!

Imagine A and B to be two events:

No ( A or B ) = No A and No B

No ( A and B ) = No A or No B

Riddle 3

You're in a room. In this room are 12 gargoyles each guarding a safe. In one of the 12 safes you will find some treasure, the other safes are either empty or contain a boobytrap, opening one of these boobytrapped safes will kill you. To help you determine which safe contains the treasure, each one of these gargoyles gives you a clue. However, you must take care, these creatures do not always tell the truth. Those which guard a boobytrapped safe always lie. The gargoyle which guards the treasure always tells the truth. Amongst those who guard the empty safes, some lie and some tell the truth. However you cannot tell which gargoyles lie and which gargoyles tell the truth.

Finally each gargoyle is either black or red. The clues they give are as follows:

Gargoyle 11: The safe of Gargoyle 10 is not boobytrapped and you need Gargoyle 12 to tell the truth to find where the treasure is hidden.

I'll go for gargoyle 5, for no other reason that sheer impulsiveness and a weakness for that kind of gargoyle.

Riddle 1

You are outside a room in which there is a traditional light bulb. You can see three switches, of which only one turns the light on. You can flick the switches on however many times you like but you can only open the door once. Once you open the door you cannot sod about with the switches. How can you determine which switch controls the light?

Riddle 2

Edited for LFN and LB

Riddle one: I presume that the light is on, and you can sod about with the switches trying to turn it off?

Riddle two: You put all 12 coins on the balance (6 on each) and the first attempt shows you that one side is heavier or lighter. At this point you don't know whether the counterfeit coin is heavier or lighter, so you revert to animal instinct, yelling 'Frankly, I don't really care two hoots about this intellectual exercise', pocket all 12 coins and scoot down down the nearest pub in the hope that the landlord doesn't prove cleverer than you and detect at a glance that one of the coins is counterfeit.

Riddle 1

You're buggered if the bulb is too high to touch.

Riddle 2.

Divide into three piles of four. The rest is easy.

Riddle 3.

Are the clues the only available data or are we allowed to ask them a single question? If we are then

it's an exercise in boolean logic with a NOT. Easy enough. If not I'm too hung over to work through the clues.

Riddle 1

Riddle 2

Edited for LFN and LB

Riddle 2- I'm late to the party but here is my guess.

1) Take six coins against six counterweigths, if it equals then they are good. Set them aside. Otherwise they are bad.

2) Take the bad 6...pick 3 vs. 3 counterweights. IF good set aside, if not then they are bad.

3) Don't use counterweight. Weigh Bad 1 vs Bad 2. If equal then Bad 3 is the solution. IF not equal then take Bad #1 and weigh againt counterweight (Try 3). If equal then Bad 2 is solution; if different then 1 is solution. :unsure:

1) Take six coins against six counterweigths, if it equals then they are good. Set them aside. Otherwise they are bad.

There are only 12 coins. One of them is either heavier or lighter. If you weigh six against six, you still have no idea which is the dud so you have used one of your weighings and discovered nothing.

There are only 12 coins. One of them is either heavier or lighter. If you weigh six against six, you still have no idea which is the dud so you have used one of your weighings and discovered nothing.

My understanding of a counterweight is not the scale itself but a weight used to counterbalance.

Riddle 3

I'll go for gargoyle 5, for no other reason that sheer impulsiveness and a weakness for that kind of gargoyle.

3? :unsure:

My understanding of a counterweight is not the scale itself but a weight used to counterbalance.

"You are given eleven identical coins of equal mass and one counterfeit coin which is either heavier or lighter than the other eleven. Your are also given a counter balance which you can use just three times to determine the counterfeit. How?"

Nowhere is a counterweight mentioned. The "counter balance" is a balancing scale, the type of which adorns many justice type statues. It is simply used to balance one set of coins against the other. There are no additional weights -- just 12 coins, one of which is a dud (counterfeit), and a balancing scale.

Riddle 1

Riddle 2

Edited for LFN and LB

But you can still 'flick the switches on however many times you like' - no 'sodding about' with them necessary - so surely you just walk on in, flick the switches however many times you like, and you will find the one that controls the light?

Riddle 1

Riddle 2

Edited for LFN and LB

But you can still 'flick the switches on however many times you like' - no 'sodding about' with them necessary - so surely you just walk on in, flick the switches however many times you like, and you will find the one that controls the light?

LB, the switches are outside the room. You cannot see inside the room when you flick the switches. Only once you've finished flicking them, can you enter the room to see the result of your switch flickery. You cannot nip back out and have another go once you are in.

I like these...

If "16 O in a P" is sixteen Ounces in Pound, what are these?

1 = H on a U

1 = W on a U

3 = B M (S H T R)

4 = Q in a G

5 = D in a Z C

7 = D of the W

7 = B for S B

7 = W of the A W

8 = S on a S S

9 = P in the S S

9 = J on the S C

11 = P on a F T

12 = S of the Z

15 = M on a D M C

13 = S on the A F

18 = H on a G C

21 = D on a D

24 = H in a D

26 = L of the A

29 = D in F in a L Y

32 = D F at which W F

40 = D and N of the G F

50 = W to L Y L

54 = C in a D (W Js)

57 = H V

60 = S in a M

64 = S on a C B

76 = T in the B P

88 = P K

90 = D in a R A

99 = B of B on the W

200 = D for P G in M

1000 = W that a P is W

1001 = A N

Riddle 1

Can we peek under the door?

Riddle 1

You can try, but Strata the Psychedelic Snake is on the other side.

STRATASmain.jpg

Riddle 1

You can try, but Strata the Psychedelic Snake is on the other side.

Given that most snakes, especially psychedelic ones, are light sensitive, see if the snake moves when you flip a switch. If he doesn't, then it's not that switch.

I like these...

I've done the easy ones.....

1 = H on a U

1 = W on a U wheel on a unicycle

3 = B M (S H T R) blind mice (see how they run)

4 = Q in a G quarters in a game

5 = D in a Z C

7 = D of the W days of the week

7 = B for S B brides for seven brothers

7 = W of the A W

8 = S on a S S

9 = P in the S S

9 = J on the S C

11 = P on a F T players on a football team

12 = S of the Z signs of the zodiac

15 = M on a D M C men on a dead man’s chest

13 = S on the A F stripes on the American flag

18 = H on a G C holes on a golf course

21 = D on a D

24 = H in a D hours in a day

26 = L of the A

29 = D in F in a L Y days in February in a leap year

32 = D F at which W F

40 = D and N of the G F days and nights of the great flood

50 = W to L Y L ways to leave your lover

54 = C in a D (W Js) cards in a deck (with jokers)

57 = H V Heinz varieties

60 = S in a M seconds in a minute

64 = S on a C B squares on a chess board

76 = T in the B P trombones in the big parade

88 = P K

90 = D in a R A

99 = B of B on the W bottles of beer on the wall

200 = D for P G in M

1000 = W that a P is W

1001 = A N Arabian nights

Riddle 1

Riddle 2

Edited for LFN and LB

LB, the switches are outside the room. You cannot see inside the room when you flick the switches. Only once you've finished flicking them, can you enter the room to see the result of your switch flickery. You cannot nip back out and have another go once you are in.

Ah, well it didn't say the switches were outside the room, if it had said that in the first place I would have known the answer.

Guest Guest_Handrejka_*
I like these...

I've done the easy ones.....

1 = H on a U

1 = W on a U wheel on a unicycle

3 = B M (S H T R) blind mice (see how they run)

4 = Q in a G quarters in a game

5 = D in a Z C

7 = D of the W days of the week

7 = B for S B brides for seven brothers

7 = W of the A W

8 = S on a S S

9 = P in the S S

9 = J on the S C

11 = P on a F T players on a football team

12 = S of the Z signs of the zodiac

15 = M on a D M C men on a dead man’s chest

13 = S on the A F stripes on the American flag

18 = H on a G C holes on a golf course

21 = D on a D

24 = H in a D hours in a day

26 = L of the A

29 = D in F in a L Y days in February in a leap year

32 = D F at which W F

40 = D and N of the G F days and nights of the great flood

50 = W to L Y L ways to leave your lover

54 = C in a D (W Js) cards in a deck (with jokers)

57 = H V Heinz varieties

60 = S in a M seconds in a minute

64 = S on a C B squares on a chess board

76 = T in the B P trombones in the big parade

88 = P K

90 = D in a R A

99 = B of B on the W bottles of beer on the wall

200 = D for P G in M

1000 = W that a P is W

1001 = A N Arabian nights

Got the ones I knew, but I can add

26 Letters of the Alphabet

90 Degrees in a Right Angle

1000 = Words that a picture is worth

Guest Handrejka (again

Can also add

7 Wonders of the Ancient World

1 horn on a unicorn

9 planets in the solar system (err...not quite true?)

32 degrees fahrenheit at which water freezes