themaninblack

Assisted Suicides

Suicide tourism may be dying in Switzerland.

I'd like to work for the Suicide Tourist Board, either on the marketing team - "a once in a lifetime trip: you'll love it to death!" - or, being bone idle, in the complaints department.

• Like 1

Looks like it's going to stay, the votes appear in favour of keeping suicide tourism. Though nothing is confirmed yet, the current news reports rely on exit polls (heh heh).

Entrepreneurial nonagenarian Sharlotte Hydorn is surely worth a mention here. Sales of her do-it-yourself asphyxiation kits are booming after a suicidal Oregonian customer sparked a national debate when he used one of her products to good effect recently.

Hydorn said she will use one herself if it's called for. "I don't want to end up helpless," she said. "It's all right if people don't understand."

There is a case currently going before the Court of Protection about removing the feeding tubes from a woman who has been in a "minimally conscious state" since 2003. If the Court find in her family's favour, then there's bound to be at least one appeal, so this could well run in to 2012. Thing is, could someone only known as M be picked for the DDP?

There is a case currently going before the Court of Protection about removing the feeding tubes from a woman who has been in a "minimally conscious state" since 2003. If the Court find in her family's favour, then there's bound to be at least one appeal, so this could well run in to 2012. Thing is, could someone only known as M be picked for the DDP?

You want me to do the Judi Dench joke or...?

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm

Why not, if everyone's agreed on the person's identity and the death qualifies within the rules of a specific deadpool. This one exists somewhere between death row and Terry Pratchett, so I'm not sure she'd qualify under the rules of any current deadpool. I'd take her for Deathrace 2012, but I don't think she'll make the start line.

"Martin", a stroke victim who no longer wants to live, is in the news at the moment for launching a legal bid, asking for the right to die.

"Within months of the stroke, he decided he no longer wanted to continue living. When asked in an interview with BBC Radio 4's PM Programme, he spells it out - via the computer - "d-e-a-t-h"." :P

Even if the courts do not find in his favour, he might do a Chantal Sébire

I mentioned this one in the ideas and possibles yesterday. Does raise some scoring issues for us. But there will be more of these cases in future for sure.

Could the assisted death industry be about to change forever? Shares in Dignitas will no doubt, ahem, plummet, if crackpot Lithunaian boffin Julijonas Urbonas can find someone to build his prototype "Euthanasia Rollercoaster", apparently sure to provide it's passengers with a quick and euphoric death.

roller-coaster.gif

I've never been much of a fan of Silvio Burlusconi, but his attempts to override the Italian consitution this weekend and turn his country from a democracy in to some sort of theocracy at the beck and call of The Vatican have made for pretty grim reading. Luckily, the temperamental nature of Italian politics means he won't be around too long before someone else takes over at the top.

Don't ask why I was reading this far back in the thread (I was bored at work, okay?) but couldn't help but notice that your skills at predicting political deaths still have some room for improvement. But then again, his career has out-lived all reasonable expectations. If even scandals like this this aren't forcing him from power then I can only assume that he must have some Faustian pact on the go. :sicktherm:

Former Ofsted chief and - once over - a teacher who shagged one of his own sixth formers; Chris Woodhead has indicated he's up for considering Dignitas when his degeneration puts him on the verge of helplessness.

Former Ofsted chief and - once over - a teacher who shagged one of his own sixth formers; Chris Woodhead has indicated he's up for considering Dignitas when his degeneration puts him on the verge of helplessness.

Chris Woodhead was on Radio 4 tonight when I was driving home from work. He sounded OK, all things considering.

Noel Martzin - yeah, I know you don't spell it like that, but I'm wary of ranter fire where he's concerned.

Deffo press coverage as and when. Would qualify under 08 DDP rules. Be interesting to see if he'd do the same next year.

Noel Martin was interviewed on Channel 4 after his horse won at York today, so I guess he changed his mind.

Personally, I can't believe that euthanasia isn't legal in most places yet.

If the person is really ill, and they don't want to be in pain anymore, just let them commit assisted suicide! It's their life, not the government's!

Personally, I can't believe that euthanasia isn't legal in most places yet.

If the person is really ill, and they don't want to be in pain anymore, just let them commit assisted suicide! It's their life, not the government's!

What happens if a person is not capable of making the decision and relatives could also, however unwittingly, bring pressure to bear to make people think it is better off that I am not causing all this trouble for my family.

In the UK the DPP will assess each case and if the circumstances genuinely point to a mercy action then no further action will be taken. Case by case basis.

Non terminally ill man resorts to crowd-funding in bid to raise cash for trip to Dignitas.

He's asking for £30,000, which does seem rather a lot for a one way ticket to Switzerland. For that amount of money, he could probably hire a contract killer to see him off in the comfort of his own home.

"Attorney, entrepreneur, political gadfly and perennial candidate", John Jay Hooker, a well known figure in Tennessee (but not possibly not that well known anywhere else), looks like he's had an interesting life. In August he was diagnosed with melanoma and told he had six months to live. Since then he has been campaigning for the right for people to have the choice of an assisted suicide, so one way or another, 2017 looks like a pretty unrealistic prospect for him.

Hooker is a good friend of Muhammad Ali, who apparently gave him a shout-out on live TV after winning the "Thrilla in Manilla".

Non terminally ill man resorts to crowd-funding in bid to raise cash for trip to Dignitas.

He's asking for £30,000, which does seem rather a lot for a one way ticket to Switzerland. For that amount of money, he could probably hire a contract killer to see him off in the comfort of his own home.

This shit needs banning immediately or dead pooling with go the way of fortune-driven Premiershit football.

• Like 1

Belgian Paralympian Marieke Veervort has said she is not yet ready for euthanasia, but will die by this method at a time of her choosing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37335846

Aye, cheers for the update - I posted here hereabouts a few weeks back - had her down on my longlist too

Dutch offed a wean according to the wireless.

Not age or condition or sex known.

Raising the abortion age to 42 trimesters nazi.gif