Sign in to follow this  
Lord Fellatio Nelson

Fings Aint Wot They Used To Be..

I didn't really know where to post this but as we don't seem to have a 'TV programmes' thread so I thought this may be the best place. I was delighted to read during the week that the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD, 23+ years after it's original broadcast and subsequent repeat a few months later, it's never been released in any format or repeated since 1987/8. I watched some of it on the first showing and saw the full series on the second showing but missed the last episode due to the boyfriend I had at the time not setting the video recorder properly :banghead: I've waited 22 years to see it again, I really hope I'm not looking back at it through rose tinted spectacles and it is indeed as good as I remember.

I'll get that. I remember it as being brilliant. Except I hated Emma Thompson. Her bloody awful one woman show shortly after that served to reinforce my prejudice and it took me ages before I started liking her a bit.

As I recall it Lady G, that last - unseen by yourself - episode is exceptionally good and the final scene is a corker.

Yup, I just about remember that and that last scene is an absolute winner.

As I recall it Lady G, that last - unseen by yourself - episode is exceptionally good and the final scene is a corker.

Yup, I just about remember that and that last scene is an absolute winner.

Is that the scene where we all found out it was Professor Plum with a lead pipe in the kitchen dunnit?

I didn't really know where to post this but as we don't seem to have a 'TV programmes' thread so I thought this may be the best place. I was delighted to read during the week that the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD, 23+ years after it's original broadcast and subsequent repeat a few months later, it's never been released in any format or repeated since 1987/8. I watched some of it on the first showing and saw the full series on the second showing but missed the last episode due to the boyfriend I had at the time not setting the video recorder properly :banghead: I've waited 22 years to see it again, I really hope I'm not looking back at it through rose tinted spectacles and it is indeed as good as I remember.

I'll get that. I remember it as being brilliant. Except I hated Emma Thompson. Her bloody awful one woman show shortly after that served to reinforce my prejudice and it took me ages before I started liking her a bit.

It might get shown on BBC4 one of these days, but then again it might not. Plenty of time to get some blank VHS cassettes from Woolies.

I thought at first you were referring to this Tutti Frutti, Fruity Totty a mildly smutty German game show in which the contestants (the female ones anyway) had to remove articles of clothing if whatever activity they were competing in went against them. Then when I saw the later post mentioning Emma Thompson, I thought, "Not her!" Much more of a programme for Jenny Agutter.

I thought at first you were referring to this Tutti Frutti, Fruity Totty a mildly smutty German game show in which the contestants (the female ones anyway) had to remove articles of clothing if whatever activity they were competing in went against them. Then when I saw the later post mentioning Emma Thompson, I thought, "Not her!" Much more of a programme for Jenny Agutter.

I thought that was "Italian Stripping Housewives", a show beautifully dubbed and shoved onto one of Skys more obscure channels.

Hasnt been on for years.

I had forgotten all about it. :)

I didn't really know where to post this but as we don't seem to have a 'TV programmes' thread so I thought this may be the best place. I was delighted to read during the week that the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD, 23+ years after it's original broadcast and subsequent repeat a few months later, it's never been released in any format or repeated since 1987/8. I watched some of it on the first showing and saw the full series on the second showing but missed the last episode due to the boyfriend I had at the time not setting the video recorder properly :P I've waited 22 years to see it again, I really hope I'm not looking back at it through rose tinted spectacles and it is indeed as good as I remember.

I thought that was "Italian Stripping Housewives", a show beautifully dubbed and shoved onto one of Skys more obscure channels.

Hasnt been on for years.

Sure you had ;) Bet it's on Series Link on your Sky Plus box :)

I didn't really know where to post this but as we don't seem to have a 'TV programmes' thread so I thought this may be the best place. I was delighted to read during the week that the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD, 23+ years after it's original broadcast and subsequent repeat a few months later, it's never been released in any format or repeated since 1987/8. I watched some of it on the first showing and saw the full series on the second showing but missed the last episode due to the boyfriend I had at the time not setting the video recorder properly :P I've waited 22 years to see it again, I really hope I'm not looking back at it through rose tinted spectacles and it is indeed as good as I remember.

Hasnt been on for years.

Sure you had ;) Bet it's on Series Link on your Sky Plus box :)

I really do not know what you are trying to imply, Lardy dearest.

Anybody would think that I was some sort of pervert.

Well ive got news for them, I bloody well am, and proud of it!

Hasnt been on for years.

Sure you had ;) Bet it's on Series Link on your Sky Plus box ;)

I really do not know what you are trying to imply, Lardy dearest.

Anybody would think that I was some sort of pervert.

Well ive got news for them, I bloody well am, and proud of it!

You're not a pervert. Shagging your own sister is perfectly acceptable in Norfolk. :)

Hasnt been on for years.

Sounds like the old Tutti Frutti/Colpo Grosso confusion. CG was the Italian version, which, as LFN notes, when presented in the UK had a marvellous Welsh-accented voice over, with the catch phrase "Ornly jorking" regulary delivered after the host made some leering comment to one of the contestants or dancers.

Not that I ever watched or anything.

It might get shown on BBC4 one of these days, but then again it might not. Plenty of time to get some blank VHS cassettes from Woolies.

It’s taken decades to repeat the Bafta award-winning series, but actors say decision to screen it on BBC4 leaves viewers ‘cheated’

'Viewers Cheated' eh?

More like Stuart 'Ain't done Much Since Ain't Half Hot Mum!, mum!' McGugan feels cheated out of his full repeat fees.

stuart_mcgugan.JPG

It’s taken decades to repeat the Bafta award-winning series, but actors say decision to screen it on BBC4 leaves viewers ‘cheated’

'Viewers Cheated' eh?

More like Stuart 'Ain't done Much Since Ain't Half Hot Mum!, mum!' McGugan feels cheated out of his full repeat fees.

stuart_mcgugan.JPG

I wonder who would win between him and Tutti Frutti's Bomber in a fight?

Tutti Frutti was one of the best TV series of the eighties, itself a great decade for TV drama. My family have two VHS cassettes of it, but unfortunately one

of them is worn out through overplaying...:referee:

bring back Winterset

I didn't really know where to post this but as we don't seem to have a 'TV programmes' thread so I thought this may be the best place. I was delighted to read during the week that the BBC are finally releasing Tutti Frutti on DVD, 23+ years after it's original broadcast and subsequent repeat a few months later, it's never been released in any format or repeated since 1987/8. I watched some of it on the first showing and saw the full series on the second showing but missed the last episode due to the boyfriend I had at the time not setting the video recorder properly :bat: I've waited 22 years to see it again, I really hope I'm not looking back at it through rose tinted spectacles and it is indeed as good as I remember.

I am happy to report it was just as good as I remember, dropped through my letterbox last weekend and I spent Sat/Sun night watching it. I know what NAP means about Emma Thomson but I didn't find her annoying in this, her double act with Robbie Coltrane was great but totally upstaged by Richard Wilson and Katy Murphy as Mr Clockerty and Miss Toner.

The scenes of the band on the road and in the studio were, from my experiences of being around bands, fairly true to life and I loved the Postman Pat in Gaelic scene. The only downside was the goddawful actress that played Vincent's girlfriend, she was awful and I was more than happy to see her jump off the Clyde Suspension Bridge. The final scene, as mpfc said, is indeed a corker.

I think I also enjoyed it as it was filmed in the west end of Glasgow where I come from, so seeing Chimmy Chungas on Great Western Road (long gone now) and various places in Partick and Maryhill, plus Bomba's house was in Scotstoun right next to where I went to school, made it a bit more personal for me, great story, more tragic than comedy but well worth a watch.

Chimmy Chungas.

That was a grand place. Used to live in Oakfield Avenue, just round the corner. Went by there a few weeks ago and was a bit disappointed to see it had vanished.

I seem to remember they'd kept much of the original deco of the shop or bank or whatever that it used to be.

I daresay that's all gone too now.

Chimmy Chungas.

That was a grand place. Used to live in Oakfield Avenue, just round the corner. Went by there a few weeks ago and was a bit disappointed to see it had vanished.

I seem to remember they'd kept much of the original deco of the shop or bank or whatever that it used to be.

It's still there NAP, it became Bar Oz in the '90s and now it's Coopers, named after the grocery store it used to be when I was a kid. I think the Coopers name is still embedded into the pavement outside on a brass plaque. As far as I know the original deco is still in place. Wasn't it across the road from Clatty Pat's?

Chimmy Chungas.

It's still there NAP, it became Bar Oz in the '90s and now it's Coopers, named after the grocery store it used to be when I was a kid. I think the Coopers name is still embedded into the pavement outside on a brass plaque. As far as I know the original deco is still in place. Wasn't it across the road from Clatty Pat's?

I used to eat at Chimmy's too and I recall the opening night of Bar Oz, which was opened by a former neighbours actress, not Kylie Minogue, not Natalie Imbruglia, not Holly Valance, the one with the blonde bob, pert bosom and pouty lips; I forget her name, who made a brief appearance to much wolf-whistling from the assembled Glasgow Uni freshers and west-end hipperati. (Emma Harrison Had to google it, it was bugging me.)

Cleopatra's (clatty pats) is the only bar I've ever been thrown out of. It was a regular haunt of the One Devonshire Gardens staff when we couldn't be bothered to go to The Tunnel or The Arches (or, in my case, the Sub Club cos I was a trance music junkie back in the day). I got thrown out of there for sparking up a reefer. If I'd bottled someone or break-danced in a pool of my own vomit (about the only feasible lubricant on a dancefloor that sticky), they probably would have given me a free pint but no...

When my gf of the time moved to london, I used to send her flowers every week from the grocers/flowers shop on the same side as Chimmy's, down towards the bridge. I forget the name of the place, but I imagine they're still doing a good trade. I loved the smell of that place. Until the bitch dumped me. Arum lillies don't come cheap when you're a student, but thankfully relationships do. Well, sort of. Sometimes. Occasionally. What's that in my hand? Two Aces? You get my drift.

Had my first Fox's Glacier Mint in many years today, decidedly average, which is kind of how I remember them.

Chimmy Chungas.

I used to eat at Chimmy's too and I recall the opening night of Bar Oz, which was opened by a former neighbours actress, not Kylie Minogue, not Natalie Imbruglia, not Holly Valance, the one with the blonde bob, pert bosom and pouty lips; I forget her name, who made a brief appearance to much wolf-whistling from the assembled Glasgow Uni freshers and west-end hipperati. (Emma Harrison Had to google it, it was bugging me.)

Cleopatra's (clatty pats) is the only bar I've ever been thrown out of. It was a regular haunt of the One Devonshire Gardens staff when we couldn't be bothered to go to The Tunnel or The Arches (or, in my case, the Sub Club cos I was a trance music junkie back in the day). I got thrown out of there for sparking up a reefer. If I'd bottled someone or break-danced in a pool of my own vomit (about the only feasible lubricant on a dancefloor that sticky), they probably would have given me a free pint but no...

When my gf of the time moved to london, I used to send her flowers every week from the grocers/flowers shop on the same side as Chimmy's, down towards the bridge. I forget the name of the place, but I imagine they're still doing a good trade. I loved the smell of that place. Until the bitch dumped me. Arum lillies don't come cheap when you're a student, but thankfully relationships do. Well, sort of. Sometimes. Occasionally. What's that in my hand? Two Aces? You get my drift.

I have happy memories of Chimmy Chungas from my time in Glasgow. <_< I wonder if I was ever in there at the same time as Star Crossed? Did you ever go for a quiet evening out at the Art School, SC?

I think I went to Chimmy's on one of my very first nights out in Scotland and can still remember by glee turning to disappointment when I thought I had been massively overchanged at the bar, only to return to my seat and find out that £1 notes still existed north of the border...

Chimmy Chungas.

I have happy memories of Chimmy Chungas from my time in Glasgow. <_< I wonder if I was ever in there at the same time as Star Crossed? Did you ever go for a quiet evening out at the Art School, SC?

I think I went to Chimmy's on one of my very first nights out in Scotland and can still remember by glee turning to disappointment when I thought I had been massively overchanged at the bar, only to return to my seat and find out that £1 notes still existed north of the border...

Well, I for one would never be caught dead at Chimmy's. I used to drink at the Nag's Head in Wrexham. A much classier joint, all around, apparently.

Probably because there were no Glaswegians there.

Chimmy Chungas.

Well, I for one would never be caught dead at Chimmy's. I used to drink at the Nag's Head in Wrexham. A much classier joint, all around, apparently.

There are now :)

Chimmy Chungas.

I have happy memories of Chimmy Chungas from my time in Glasgow. :) I wonder if I was ever in there at the same time as Star Crossed? Did you ever go for a quiet evening out at the Art School, SC?

There are now ;)

Well.....thank God for progress.... <_<

Chimmy Chungas.

Is it mandatory for every f'ucker on here to have been a lazy cnut student?

No wonder we have so many Polish Plumbers and Lithuainian Alcoholics/Shoplifters labourers.

What happened to the days of leaving School at 16 and learning a trade, usually a useful one ( not gerbil juggling, or summat ), and actually earning a living?

Incidentally, my local was called "The Flying Bottle."

It oozed vomit class.

Chimmy Chungas.

Is it mandatory for every f'ucker on here to have been a lazy cnut student?

No wonder we have so many Polish Plumbers and Lithuainian Alcoholics/Shoplifters labourers.

What happened to the days of leaving School at 16 and learning a trade, usually a useful one ( not gerbil juggling, or summat ), and actually earning a living?

Incidentally, my local was called "The Flying Bottle."

It oozed vomit class.

I weren't a student. I left school, went to college for a year while working my sweaty fat arse off in a chip shop, then went straight into full time work. For two whole years! Then I became a scummy single mother, went back to work in the sweaty chip shop whilst doing evening classes to better my GCSE grades, then back to full time work when youngest was 2. I missed out on all the drinking, shagging and vomiting of younger years, which is why I'm doing it now :unsure: All the plebs that did go to uni when I didn't have always looked down their noses at me, well who are the ones clearing up shitty nappies in their thirties while I'm out getting slaughtered? Mugs!