AnthillMob

Alex Ferguson

Harvester: You've just labelled a substantial chunk of humanity - hundreds of millions of fans, players and those with a general interest - as morons enslaved to a pointless activity.

You planning on reconsidering that 'football is shite' statement?

No ;)

Are you saying that substantial chunk of humanity aren't morons? Or even mormons? ;)

Harvester your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny on a very simple point of prejudice:

In the most moronic, and indeed Mormonic country in the world, association football is not very popular. The reason for this is simply that it isn't moronic enough to cater for the minimal attention-span of many of that country's inhabitants.

B)

• Like 1

Harvester your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny on a very simple point of prejudice:

It wasn't an argument it's just that I represent another substantial chunk of humanity. A few hundred million other non football fans, non players, people without a general interest and who don't want to be 'morons enslaved to a pointless activity.' (MPFC's words not mine ;))

I, along with millions of others, cannot derive any enjoyment from watching 22 men kick an inflated animal skin around a field... it's simply dull as dishwater. If people are happy shelling out £50 a ticket to 'support their team' then more power to them. If you're happy to invest in a business that pays someone £100,000 a week to run round, argue, and swear then go for it!! ;) Just don't start whining when someone buys your club or starts bleating when you don't win a couple of games. Life's short enough as it is which is why we're here on DL.

I don't want anything to do with football. I'm tired of hearing how great these people are. How much money they earn, which celebrity they're trying to shag. I accept that many of these people are talented individuals but I don't get it....

I prefer my sports a little more gladatorial. Bring back the games in the Colosseum! It's far more interesting when death is involved... football simply doesn't provide that level of entertainment and unless they review the 'sword, trident and net' ban then it never will... you know I'm right. ;)

In the most moronic, and indeed Mormonic country in the world, association football is not very popular. The reason for this is simply that it isn't moronic enough to cater for the minimal attention-span of many of that country's inhabitants. B)

Probably just as well. I can't stomach the whining as it is... imagine their coverage if it ever took off.

It wasn't an argument it's just that I represent another substantial chunk of humanity. A few hundred million other non football fans, non players, people without a general interest and who don't want to be 'morons enslaved to a pointless activity.' (MPFC's words not mine :skill2:)

I, along with millions of others, cannot derive any enjoyment from watching 22 men kick an inflated animal skin around a field... it's simply dull as dishwater. If people are happy shelling out £50 a ticket to 'support their team' then more power to them. If you're happy to invest in a business that pays someone £100,000 a week to run round, argue, and swear then go for it!! :crossbone: Just don't start whining when someone buys your club or starts bleating when you don't win a couple of games. Life's short enough as it is which is why we're here on DL.

I don't want anything to do with football. I'm tired of hearing how great these people are. How much money they earn, which celebrity they're trying to shag. I accept that many of these people are talented individuals but I don't get it....

I prefer my sports a little more gladatorial. Bring back the games in the Colosseum! It's far more interesting when death is involved... football simply doesn't provide that level of entertainment and unless they review the 'sword, trident and net' ban then it never will... you know I'm right. :ghost:

In the most moronic, and indeed Mormonic country in the world, association football is not very popular. The reason for this is simply that it isn't moronic enough to cater for the minimal attention-span of many of that country's inhabitants. :sicktherm:

Probably just as well. I can't stomach the whining as it is... imagine their coverage if it ever took off.

Well said sir, football is regarded by some as a pseudo religion.

That's fair enough, I shall treat it in the same contemptuous vein as I do religion in all its forms.

I respect your opinion, but you are in the minority. After all, football is the most popular sport in the world.

I respect your opinion, but you are in the minority.  After all, football is the most popular sport in the world.

I agree, I hate cricket, golf and tennis, but I do enjoy football, 'each to their own' is my motto, I can't describe what it feels like to be at a cup final (or a league match) and see your team emerging from the tunnel, a sense of pride and excitement rushes through you. Millions of people round the world can't be wrong, maybe the name of the game is tarnished by thugs from England, Deutschland and the Nederlands, most of the fans from these countries are brilliant but a few bring them down. Here we have the Tartan Army.

I respect your opinion, but you are in the minority.  After all, football is the most popular sport in the world.

Likewise but I think you'll find that more people don't follow football than actually do. Their choice. :sicktherm:

I agree, I hate cricket, golf and tennis, but I do enjoy football, 'each to their own' is my motto, I can't describe what it feels like to be at a cup final (or a league match) and see your team emerging from the tunnel, a sense of pride and excitement rushes through you. Millions of people round the world can't be wrong, maybe the name of the game is tarnished by thugs from England, Deutschland and the Nederlands, most of the fans from these countries are brilliant  but a few bring them down. Here we have the Tartan Army.

If millions can't be wrong then what about the millions that enjoy bull fighting? The millions that enjoy cock fighting and the millions that are indifferent to the alleged beautiful game?

I mean, imagine your team rushing from the tunnel the sense of pride followed by a 90 minute nil - nil thriller between Barnton FC and Accrington Stanley. Just because a game is popular doesn't necessarily mean it's interesting but each to their own.

Maybe the hooligan element seek the gladatorial attraction that the game seriously lacks? Maybe if association football were to adopt elements from rugby, say rucking and mauling, it would appeal to a much wider audience. :crossbone:

Saying that nobody has shown that football isn't shite... just demonstrated that it's popular shite... like Coronation Street or Eastenders... after all millions of people can't be wrong... :skill2:

Saying that nobody has shown that football isn't shite... just demonstrated that it's popular shite... like Coronation Street or Eastenders... after all millions of people can't be wrong... :sicktherm:

Good stuff HOS, I like the cut of your jib, jolly good show. Bit of a Rugby man myself, don't you know, not like that mamby pamby, airey fairy wooftahs game.

(Don't mention it to the others, but I do rather enjoy corrie)

Saying that nobody has shown that football isn't shite... just demonstrated that it's popular shite... like Coronation Street or Eastenders... after all millions of people can't be wrong... :sicktherm:

Good stuff HOS, I like the cut of your jib, jolly good show. Bit of a Rugby man myself, don't you know, not like that mamby pamby, airey fairy wooftahs game.

(Don't mention it to the others, but I do rather enjoy corrie)

Josco, have you read the excellent article by Andrew Martin in this weeks Newstatesman? All about the vicarious nature of the football fan's life, dependant on his/her teams fortunes. Makes it all sound a bit sad really.

I however agree with the idea of it being the 'beautiful game'.

Having watched football in numerous countries, I would confirm from personal experience that a Scotsman after drinking ten pints of lager is just as pleasant as his English, Dutch, German etc. counterparts. Although the young Scotsman (I assume since he was wearing a Glasgow Celtic shirt), who scaled the perimeter fence, dodged the armed police, risking a long stay in an Indian prison all because of his desire to 'invade' the pitch, during the game between India and Lyn Oslo in 1994, did make me laugh. I occasionally wonder if he is still in jail.

Josco, have you read the excellent article by Andrew Martin in this weeks Newstatesman? All about the vicarious nature of the football fan's life, dependant on his/her teams fortunes. Makes it all sound a bit sad really.

Have read it now.

Very good article.

Thanks

Have read it now.

Very good article.

An amusing read indeed.

Football's been around me all my life, it was the game played on the few bits of grass my neighbourhood had, and the school yard. I've always been bad at it; I couldn't outplay a tree if my life depends on it. That never stopped me playing. I actually joined an amateur football club and played in its seventh team. That team was always last on the pitch and the league table, but first in the clubhouse bar.

I was a defender, of course, and my poor aiming skills got meself a reputation for razor-sharp tackles. So much so, that most forwards, even those of my side, prefered to avoid confrontation. I've been sent off more often than I care to count. I also managed to score a single goal, undoubtedly my finest hour. My rush forward was unopposed and the cross dropped neatly behind the keeper, who must have been blinded by the sun, or the fact that they were 7-1 up.

I've supported Feyenoord ever since me dad took me there when I was a wee lad. What can I say? The best stadium in The Netherlands, a reasonable side, the smell of beer and sausage, the singing, the shouting of insults at the ref and the oppposing side and the après-match barney with their fans: hours of fun for the whole family.

regards,

Hein

Personally I just like looking at all those fit young men wearing shorts.

footie4kk.jpg

you mean?

regards,

Hein

footie4kk.jpg

you mean?

regards,

Hein

They're the ones! And I covet their handbags too.

I suggest Sir Alex Ferguson . If they win the league , he can do the double . 70 something , possibly high blood pressure . He's also Scottish ( high mortality rate and may eat Battered Pizzas ) . I am part Scottish myself so it's just an observation . Team hasn't historically enjoyed the smallest check-out rate either . Basically doomed .

Futile

I suggest Sir Alex Ferguson . If they win the league , he can do the double . 70 something , possibly high blood pressure . He's also Scottish ( high mortality rate and may eat Battered Pizzas ) . I am part Scottish myself so it's just an observation . Team hasn't historically enjoyed the smallest check-out rate either . Basically doomed .

Futile

Not only high blood pressure and a grumpy nature, but also had a pacemaker fitted.

I hope to see this from him in the New Year

:lol::pop::dead::pop:

Given the form of his team in comparison to Chelsea and the broad smile he wore after they beat Reading 3-2 the other day, I'd say he'll see 65, the end of the season and some silverware in 2007. One manager worth watching is John Gorman, recently quit from Northampton. Gone to pieces since his wife died last year and quit - apparantly - because he couldn't take the job in the lonely run up to Christmas. He's scottish as well.

He's 75 and he's been known as a big whisky drinker for years.

He's from Glasgow, the place with the lowest life expectancy in the UK. He grew up in a working class family during World War II.

9 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

All three threads merged.

You are a star DI.

• Like 1

Social Media reports are indicating he's in Hospital seriously Ill and maybe on his way out-Will confirm more if anything official comes through.

ETA:Thanks Spade-Cooley and yes we maybe about to enter Fergie time.

Rumours in Twitter that he passed away. hopefully a hoax :o

• Like 1