Grim Reaper

George Steinbrenner

Well, Ben Affleck describes Mr. Steinbrenner as "the center of evil in the universe". I realize some of our members may not be very familiar with this man but let's just say he is a Mastermind who brought ten pennants to the Yankees along with six World Series titles. The bottom line is that he passes the fame test even as his death is certainly a gamblers game.

Well, Ben Affleck describes Mr. Steinbrenner as "the center of evil in the universe". I realize some of our members may not be very familiar with this man but let's just say he is a Mastermind who brought ten pennants to the Yankees along with six World Series titles. The bottom line is that he passes the fame test even as his death is certainly a gamblers game.
Since the Yankees haven't won a series in close to a decade and Hank and Hal(George's rotten swines of sons) are outspending dear old dad now that he is at the helm I need to ask, In the words of Janet Jackson:::

What have you done for me lately?

Ooh ooh ooh yeah

Ooh ooh ooh yeah

Ooh ooh ooh yeah

Ooh ooh ooh yeah

Get with it

Uh, let me know, and from the front

Let me know, and let me know from the

Ooh ooh ooh yeah (yeah ha)

Ooh ooh ooh yeah (yeah)

Ooh ooh ooh yeah (yeah)

(No oh oh, no oh, yeah, mmmhmm

Da di da di, da di da da

Da

Mmmhmm

Yeah-e-yeah-e-yeah ha ha, hey

Mmmhmm, yeah ha ha)

What have you done for me lately? (lately)

Ooh ooh ooh yeah

(Uh, uh, uh, da di di da, di da di da, a di do da da, yeah)

Ooh ooh ooh yeah

What have you done for me lately? (lately)

This is wild, I swear

Will the millions spent on Sabathia and the others make a difference? Will the overpriced new stadium make a difference, or will that red sox shirt which was once bburied in the ground---until the person responsible boasted about it----will that haunt the stadium to a record of losing seasons. SEasons where they can get close and then miss out even on a pennant. Will the new price of tickets keep fans away? Will the Yankees realize that they never should have parted ways with David Wells?

Will having unceremoniously dumped Joe Torre come back and haunt them all? Will Roy Blount, Jr. wear a shawl when he visits

and for those wondering this is a photo of George with Joe Torre after what may well b their last ever series win--actually this was the big win year of 1998--. (george is the one crying, Joe is holding the trophy)

18282719.jpg

lots of evil on the list; he fits right in. Good pick.

"Since 2006, George Steinbrenner has spent most of his time in Tampa, Florida, leaving the Yankees to be run by his sons Hal Steinbrenner and Hank Steinbrenner. Hank in particular shows similar traits to his father.[10]

George made a rare appearance in the Bronx on the field for the 79th All-Star Game. Wearing dark glasses, Steinbrenner walked slowly into the stadium's media entrance with the aid of several companions, using one of them to lean on as he hobbled through the media entrance.

He later was driven out on to the field along with his son Hal at the end of the lengthy pregame ceremony in which this year's All-Stars were introduced at their fielding positions along with 49 of the 63 living Hall of Famers.

At the funeral of his long time friend Otto Graham in December 2003, Steinbrenner fainted, leading to extensive media speculation that he was in ill health."

Cut and paste from his Wiki page. That's not much sum total to go on. So who else thinks he is a good addition to this years list?

Can't say I've ever heard of him, but I think the DL likes to throw in the odd curveball, provoke a bit of debate and that. Remember Abe Vigoda?

Can't say I've ever heard of him, but I think the DL likes to throw in the odd curveball, provoke a bit of debate and that. Remember Abe Vigoda?

What we are looking for are hits out of the park not throws out of the park!

Cut and paste from his Wiki page. That's not much sum total to go on. So who else thinks he is a good addition to this years list?

This article doesn't say much more but the fact that a British newspaper bothered to publish it is encouraging enough for me

Guardian article from Nov 2008

This article doesn't say much more but the fact that a British newspaper bothered to publish it is encouraging enough for me

Good spot. I think the legendary DDT missed that one!

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?...st&p=102750 :o

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?...st&p=102750 ;)

I knew it was too good to be true... :o

For Steinbrenner to officially pass control to his son is a huge deal for those of us who follow MLB. Steinbrenner owned, micro-managed and tyrannized the Yankees and NYC for over 30 years.

His health has been fading over the last 18 months or so. He now stays in Florida, as the article says, and isn't out harassing and abusing NYC politicians, which they are no doubt grateful for but which is a fair indicator of his state of health. Steinbrenner was one of those larger than life people who you just can't see ever being gone, but one day you turn around and they are gone.

He's a fair pick as far as his chances of death are concerned, I think. I'll be surprised if he makes it through this season. However, I would say that if he gets a UK obit you're gonna have to look for it.

He's a fair pick as far as his chances of death are concerned, I think. I'll be surprised if he makes it through this season. However, I would say that if he gets a UK obit you're gonna have to look for it.

I agree he is a "fair pick" since he'll accumulate the coverage but his chances of death are very slim according to me. I think Mr. Steinbrenner wanted to retire and enjoy the Yankee games from Florida while leaving it up to his sons. He was present at the last game held at Yankee Stadium a few months ago and he didn't appear to be near death.

I'm sure he still harasses Brian Cashman and gives direction to his sons. I would say the rumors of him being "seriously ill" are an exaggeration but he has certainly slowed down. I'm sure he will be at the new Yankee Stadium on opening day this spring. I'll be sure to scout out the latest even as the Yankees aren't generally my favourite team. :o

It seems that Steinbrenner had to step down because he was no longer competent to run the team, hence the elevation of his sons. I think there's a big difference between not being able to function due to Alzheimer type symptoms and imminent death, however. We don't have much to go on other than some rumors and his appearance at the All-Star game last summer. My guess is that he'll survive this year and will be a much better pick in 2010 or 2011.

George Steinbrenner will attend the opening game at the new Yankee Stadium. Steinbrenner, 78, is confined to a wheelchair and can barely stand. He also attended a few exhibition games in Tampa and was described as "very enthusiastic, fully engaged in the game, his players, his manager. To me, he was really terrific."

George Steinbrenner is without question a true mastermind who is still hungry for World Series glory. Go George! I can just imagine him rubbing his hands together as he prepares for the first pitch of what he believes will be a season of absolute dominance.

Trying to get to a game in the ALS championship series. We will get a look at him maybe, sounds iffy to travel. Top 10 for next year's list? Otherwise its all 90+ year olds after Biggs and Lockerbye bomber die

George Steinbrenner will attend the opening game at the new Yankee Stadium. Steinbrenner, 78, is confined to a wheelchair and can barely stand. He also attended a few exhibition games in Tampa and was described as "very enthusiastic, fully engaged in the game, his players, his manager. To me, he was really terrific."

George Steinbrenner is without question a true mastermind who is still hungry for World Series glory. Go George! I can just imagine him rubbing his hands together as he prepares for the first pitch of what he believes will be a season of absolute dominance.

The page you requested cannot be found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I'm hoping the result of tomorrow nights World Series game will leave a brief smile on Mr. Steinbrenner's face. If the Yankees should lose this World Series in the 7th game, George will most certainly have Cashman's balls on his son's front desk first thing in the morning. But that won't happen. Brian speaking on his blackberry (with a slight hint of worrisomeness) keeps assuring George that everything is going according to plan ..

We all know that George is the puppet master and that he still runs this team.

My prediction: The New York Yankees claim a 27th World Title with a 4 - 3 win over Philadelphia. It's not that I got any rice and beans with Pedro Martinez but .. a prediction is a prediction. His latest interview was just off the charts.

My prediction: The New York Yankees claim a 27th World Title with a 4 - 3 win over Philadelphia. It's not that I got any rice and beans with Pedro Martinez but .. a prediction is a prediction. His latest interview was just off the charts.

It's now bottom of the 8th and the score is 7-3 in favor of the Yankees, so that 4 of yours is ouuuuuuuuuuuuuut!

Guest deathpat

got the series now maybe he'll kick !

BBC obit for Steinbrenner. Congrats to the 16 teams for picking him on the DDP.

Yes and on the 13th as well, so a few bonus points to boot!

17 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

May be the only tone the North Jersey Record is cited.