The Miser

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

This is the place to discuss Ravi Shankar

My pick for 2009's least active thread.
2008 DDP: 15th place. 2009 DDP: 25th place. 2010 DDP: 12th place. 2011 DDP: 12th place; 2012 DDP: 6th place. 2013 DDP: 15th place.
2014 DDP: 3rd place.

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

#3 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15030 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

Are we allowed to enter our DDP teams even if one of them has just died? Or am I going to have to choose a replacement for Maria de Jesus?

Ooh, I dunno, there's a few great Ravi Shankar stories. Like the time he was tuning up with his musicians before they played their part in George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. The audience were so pig ignorant they thought the tuning up was a number and applauded it when it finished. :rolleyes:

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.maryport2if5.jpg

#4 Godot

Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3860 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Ooh, I dunno, there's a few great Ravi Shankar stories. Like the time he was tuning up with his musicians before they played their part in George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. The audience were so pig ignorant they thought the tuning up was a number and applauded it when it finished. :rolleyes:

I think I would have been among them. That said, I do have one of his CDS for those times when I feel the need to light a candle and adopt the lotus position, except with my lack of suppleness it's more like a cauliflower and certainly not up to this.

You can't ever imagine Ravi saying: "You hum it and I'll play it."
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#5 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

Ooh, I dunno, there's a few great Ravi Shankar stories. Like the time he was tuning up with his musicians before they played their part in George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh. The audience were so pig ignorant they thought the tuning up was a number and applauded it when it finished.

I'll always remember Ravi Shankar for his complaints at Bangladesh. "No shmoking' .. and everybody was stoned at that concert. There weren't any rules. Nobody listened to him. It was a free for all.

#6 Handrejka

Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

This is the chap who inflicted Norah Jones on to us or? For that he must pay.

PS I reckon the quietest threads will be Blake Edwards and Ludovic Kennedy.

2013 Alternative 50 final total 13/50 against DL 13/50 - See about me page for more details.
2014 final total 12/50 against DL 10 2015 final total 6/50 against DL 14 2016 16/50 against DL 12

2017 (2/50)

1Rev Billy Graham 2.Olivia de Havilland 3 Prince Phillip 4, Kirk Douglas 5 Errol Christie 6 Helmut Kohl 7 Peter Sallis 8 Peter Sartstedt 9 Ian Brady
10 Mikhail Gorbachev 11 George Blake 12 Brian Cant 13 Patricia Hitchcock 14 Colin Dexter15Jill Gascoigne 16Bruce Forsyth  17 Clive James 18 Leah Bracknell 19 Robert Mugabe 20 Glen Campbell 21Jimmy Carter 22Gay Byrne  23Hannah Hauxwell 24Tony Booth 25 Liz Dawn 26 Jerry Lewis 27 Joanne Woodward 28 Valerie Harper 29 Claire Hollingsworth 30 Geoffrey Bayldon 31 Raymond Briggs

32 Glynis Johns 33 Eileen Derbyshire 34 John Noakes 35 King Michael of Romania 36 Nobby Stiles 37 Nexhmije Hoxha 38 Stephen Hawking 39 Hywel Bennet 40 Lewis Gilbert 41 Desmond Tutu

42 Willian G Stewart 43 Jimmy Greaves 44 Norman Lloyd 45 Mitzi Gaynor 46 Joy Whitby 47 Colin Jeavons 48 Zizi Jeanmaire 49 R0y Dotrice 50Franco Zeffirelli

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#7 The Miser

The Miser

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

I didn't see the horse guy. That will be very active.
2008 DDP: 15th place. 2009 DDP: 25th place. 2010 DDP: 12th place. 2011 DDP: 12th place; 2012 DDP: 6th place. 2013 DDP: 15th place.
2014 DDP: 3rd place.

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

#8 Michael S Collins

Michael S Collins

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

You know, an aspiring DL'er could hasten it along by playing Norwegian Blue repeatedly outside his place of residence...

#9 TAFKAG

TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

You know, an aspiring DL'er could hasten it along by playing Norwegian Blue repeatedly outside his place of residence...

Is he not a Monty Python fan then?

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#10 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 15030 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

She's mainly responsible for that herself!

I mean, he's her dad. But that's about it.

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.maryport2if5.jpg

#11 Death Impends

Death Impends

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1942 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

89 today.

If he lives the year this will be just about the only news of him in this thread.

DDP Team: Thomas Jefferson Survives (2017 - Wayne Barrett, Tony Booth, Leah Bracknell, Charles Bradley, Paul Briggs, Errol Christie (J), Sara Coward, Gord Downie, Rayya Elias, Steve Hewlett, Colin Meads, King Michael, Catherine Nevin, Julia Perez, Simon Ricketts, Mark Sims, Peter Skellern, Stefan Karl Stefansson, Joost van der Westhuizen, Paul Van-Zandvliet 2/20)

DDP History: (2016 - 16/20, 4th place) (2015 - 12/20, 3rd place) (2014 - 7/20, =12th place) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50:
King Michael, June Foray, Sumner Redstone, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, David Rockefeller, Herman Wouk, Morton Sobell, Billy Graham, Jerry Maren, Mario Soares, Vera Lynn, I. M. Pei, Jim Lovell, Prince Philip, Bob Dole, Glen Campbell, Jim Leavelle, Chuck Yeager, Francoise Gilot, George H.W. Bush, Jimmy Carter, Peter Sallis, Ingvar Kamprad, Jean Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Gershon Kingsley, Carol Channing, Jacques Chirac, Bart Starr, Clive James, John Paul Stevens, Pope Benedict XVI, Glynis Johns, Desmond Tutu, Fats Domino, Joanne Woodward, Monty Hall, Helmut Kohl, Robert Mugabe, Mikhail Gorbachev, James McCord, Gaston Glock, Roger Bannister, Stefan Karl Stefansson, Jim Nabors, Mary Tyler Moore, Bruce Langhorne, Wilford Brimley, Stan Lee, Jerry Lewis (1/50)

#12 TAFKAG

TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • 1109 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

89 today.

If he lives the year this will be just about the only news of him in this thread.

All I could find was this interview with his daughter Anoushka from two weeks ago.

...recuperating from a recent bout of ill-health, is her guru and father the legendary Pandit Ravi Shankar. Shes looking after him, hes 90, and in frail condition indeed, unable to participate in this guru-shishya interview.

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#13 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4560 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

It's probably nothing, but Ravi Shankar has cancelled some recent gigs due to illness.

They may beg, they may plead, they may argue with my logic

And mention all the things I'll lose that really have no value

In the end they will surely know, I wasn't born to follow

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

It's probably nothing, but Ravi Shankar has cancelled some recent gigs due to illness.

Anyone else notice that Ravi is listed as expired on his link?

#15 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 15030 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

Other sources still have him alive though. 91 in April.

#16 Spade_Cooley

Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 4775 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

RIP

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

#17 Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper

Post-Twunt

• Admin
  • 1276 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

RIP

Nope - that's a different Ravi Shankar
The DL one : http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ravi_Shankar
The other one: http://en.wikipedia....music_director)

#18 Spade_Cooley

Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 4775 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yeah, but it briefly got people's hopes up, and that's the important thing.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Ravi Shankar is not doing well.he is in the USA for surgery and my info is that he is saying his goodbyes to old friends,fearing the worst.One to watch in the days and weeks ahead.

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

just found this news article to back up what I just said http://www.indianexp...chchan/1041388/

you have to ensure he is on the 2013 list if he doesn't die before the end of this y ear

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users