Banshees Scream

The Dead Of 2009

THANK YOU!!!!

That's what I've been trying to tell everybody!!!!!

How come this year is so slooooooow for celebrity deaths??? Seriously, the most significant celebrities to die this year are probably Ricardo Montalban, Bea Arthur, and Dom DeLuise!!!!

Compared to last year, where we already had Heath Ledger, Roy Scheider, William Buckley, Jr., Suzanne Pleshette, Brad Renfro, Charlton Heston, John Phillip Law, Harvey Korman, Sydney Pollack, Anthony Minghella, Richard Widmark, Sir Arthur Clarke, Paul Scofield, and Dick Martin.

This year, we hardly had ANY celebrity deaths. Hell, we had more relatives and pets of celebrities who died this year than actual celebs themselves!

Seriously, when the deaths of Jett Travolta and Mike Tyson's daughter make national headline "breaking news" in the media (at least in the US), you know that celeb deaths are real slow! I mean seriously, Mike Tyson's daughter made "Breaking News" in CNN! Seriously, who the f*** cares about Mike Tyson's daughter!

Thank you for speaking about this issue. :rip:

(P.S. i like you Patrick Swayze and Farrah Fawcett. But seriously, if you guys weren't big shot rich celebrities who had access to advanced, state-of-the-art treatment, both of you would definitely be dead by now.)

THANK YOU!!!!

How come this year is so slooooooow for celebrity deaths??? Seriously, the most significant celebrities to die this year are probably Ricardo Montalban, Bea Arthur, and Dom DeLuise!!!!

Compared to last year, where we already had Heath Ledger, Roy Scheider, William Buckley, Jr., Suzanne Pleshette, Brad Renfro, Charlton Heston, John Phillip Law, Harvey Korman, Sydney Pollack, Anthony Minghella, Richard Widmark, Sir Arthur Clarke, Paul Scofield, and Dick Martin.

This year, we hardly had ANY celebrity deaths. Hell, we had more relatives and pets of celebrities who died this year than actual celebs themselves!

Seriously, when the deaths of Jett Travolta and Mike Tyson's daughter make national headline "breaking news" in the media (at least in the US), you know that celeb deaths are real slow! I mean seriously, Mike Tyson's daughter made "Breaking News" in CNN! Seriously, who the f*** cares about Mike Tyson's daughter!

(P.S. i like you Patrick Swayze and Farrah Fawcett. But seriously, if you guys weren't big shot rich celebrities who had access to advanced, state-of-the-art treatment, both of you would definitely be dead by now.)

Reasons for lack of deaths:

1. Hell is full

2. With climate change, the fires of hell have been lowered

3. Barack Obama is able to keep people alive longer

4. Global Financial crisis means people cannot afford to die any more

5. Lack of deaths so far is purely dramatic effect, building tension for the great swine flu pandemic

6. All of the above

THANK YOU!!!!

1. Hell is full

3. Barack Obama is able to keep people alive longer[

5. Lack of deaths so far is purely dramatic effect, building tension for the great swine flu pandemic

6. All of the above

Of the possibilities you mention, I think three and four are actually likely.

Seriously ever since Barack became President of the United States, the whole country has just been euphoria. Two of the biggest car companies have gone bankrupt and it doesn't seem to bother people one bit. I personally know tons of people who got laid off, but whereas during the Bush era, they would blame George W. Bush, here, they take it all in stride. They have really brought into obama's message of HOPE. I know people who lost their jobs and even their homes, and they continue to smile and take it all in stride. It's like ever since Barack Obama became president, everything in this country is just positive. No matter what s*** we are going through, people remain vastly optimistic b/c Obama's message of HOPE has kept people positive in their darkest hour.

Perhaps b/c of Barack Obama, e.g. The Obama Effect, no celebrities have been dying as much.

Also, regarding the global financial crisis, normally something like this would cause celebrities to commit suicide en masse. But so far, the only people who have committed suicide are the noveau riche who lost everything during the crisis.

interestingly, we've had no drug related celebrity deaths since Heath Ledger (over a year ago)!

Mort Abrahams 28-05-09

No proper UK obit online yet (that i've found).

THANK YOU!!!!

1. Hell is full

6. All of the above

Seriously ever since Barack became President of the United States, the whole country has just been euphoria. Two of the biggest car companies have gone bankrupt and it doesn't seem to bother people one bit. I personally know tons of people who got laid off, but whereas during the Bush era, they would blame George W. Bush, here, they take it all in stride. They have really brought into obama's message of HOPE. I know people who lost their jobs and even their homes, and they continue to smile and take it all in stride. It's like ever since Barack Obama became president, everything in this country is just positive. No matter what s*** we are going through, people remain vastly optimistic b/c Obama's message of HOPE has kept people positive in their darkest hour.

Perhaps b/c of Barack Obama, e.g. The Obama Effect, no celebrities have been dying as much.

Also, regarding the global financial crisis, normally something like this would cause celebrities to commit suicide en masse. But so far, the only people who have committed suicide are the noveau riche who lost everything during the crisis.

interestingly, we've had no drug related celebrity deaths since Heath Ledger (over a year ago)!

ADDENDUM: Also, I think another reason for the lack of celebrity deaths lately: advances in medicine and medical care. Because medical care in the US is so impressive and first rate, people are living longer than ever. People with debilitating diseases (like what Patrick Swayze and Ted Kennedy have) are able to not only survive, but thrive. I mean, freakin' Ted Kennedy is still a full time US Senator!

Also, thanks to advances in medicine and medical care, people are living much longer than usual. When Dom DeLuise died, people were saying "Gosh! He died too soon! He was far too young!" Uh, Dom DeLuise was 75 years old. He was probably well over 100 pounds overweight. He probably should've died of a heart attack 10 or 15 years ago! The fact that a morbidly obese man lived to be 75 is a miracle in itself!

Nowadays, 70 or even 75 is not considered that old. I remember people saying that Sydney Pollack and George Carlin both died too young even though they were already in their early 70s.

I think in a few years, life expectancy (at least in countries like US and UK) should be close to 85, possibly even up to 90. This probably would not be the life expectancy for most ordinary chaps like you and me, but for celebrities with their fame, money, and access to state of the art advanced medical care that ordinary the very elite can afford, age 85 to 90 is probably going to be the norm.

THANK YOU!!!!

1. Hell is full

6. All of the above

I think in a few years, life expectancy (at least in countries like US and UK) should be close to 85, possibly even up to 90. This probably would not be the life expectancy for most ordinary chaps like you and me, but for celebrities with their fame, money, and access to state of the art advanced medical care that ordinary the very elite can afford, age 85 to 90 is probably going to be the norm.

The life expectancy for women in Chelsea and Kensington is already 85... and 85 is the life expectancy in Japan for women... however the life expectancy won't reach 85 in the UK and the US on the whole for quite a while yet because of regional differences e.g. here in Scotland the male life expectancy in glasgow is 70! That's lower than in Gaza! We have a while to go yet before we reach 85/90 life expectancies... I'd give it 20 years at least...

THANK YOU!!!!

1. Hell is full

6. All of the above

The life expectancy for women in Chelsea and Kensington is already 85... and 85 is the life expectancy in Japan for women... however the life expectancy won't reach 85 in the UK and the US on the whole for quite a while yet because of regional differences e.g. here in Scotland the male life expectancy in glasgow is 70! That's lower than in Gaza! We have a while to go yet before we reach 85/90 life expectancies... I'd give it 20 years at least...

Like I said, as a whole, the life expectancy for ordinary chaps like you and me in the US and UK probably won't reach 85 for years, maybe decades...

For celebrities though, I expect 85 years to not only be the life expectancy, but the norm. There are lots of prominent celebrities in their 80s and 90s who are still quite active in Hollywood and politics. Robert Byrd is in his early 90s and is still an active US senator. Many prominent actors such as Eli Wallach, Ernest Borgnine, Mickey Rooney, Carol Channing, Christopher Lee, etc., are in their late 80s to mid 90s and are still active in the industry. Even Ed McMahon was still active and working on making his comeback at the age of 85(!!) until he was recently hospitalized -- and to much knowledge, he is still hospitalized.

THANK YOU!!!!

1. Hell is full

6. All of the above

Like I said, as a whole, the life expectancy for ordinary chaps like you and me in the US and UK probably won't reach 85 for years, maybe decades...

For celebrities though, I expect 85 years to not only be the life expectancy, but the norm. There are lots of prominent celebrities in their 80s and 90s who are still quite active in Hollywood and politics. Robert Byrd is in his early 90s and is still an active US senator. Many prominent actors such as Eli Wallach, Ernest Borgnine, Mickey Rooney, Carol Channing, Christopher Lee, etc., are in their late 80s to mid 90s and are still active in the industry. Even Ed McMahon was still active and working on making his comeback at the age of 85(!!) until he was recently hospitalized -- and to much knowledge, he is still hospitalized.

It depends on what kind of celebrity... Hollywood celebs YES world leaders YES but asides from that it doesn't seem to keep celebs in other fields going particularly long... Robert Byrd is a one off and he hasn't exactly been in the best of health anyway....

THANK YOU!!!!

*snip*

The more you open your mouth/keyboard the more I wonder why someone doesn't just smack you.

Who cares about Mike Tyson's daughter? Well, me for one. It's tragic when a child dies in a preventable accident and if the publicity from her death helps make more people aware of the danger that hanging cords have for small children than I'm all for CNN publicizing her death.

Believe it or not, there isn't some higher power slowing down celebrity deaths simply to f*ck up your life or the life of the Deathlist.

You know, all deaths are significant somewhere. Everyone's death - even Jade's - deserve some measure of respect, although I will admit some more than others. Someone who deadpools as an intellectual "gambling" exercise - whether for money or not - understands that the scene waxes and wanes. You, on the other hand, seem to believe that people stay alive simply to piss you off.

Having your own life does wonders for your perspective on death. Try it.

THANK YOU!!!!

*snip*

The more you open your mouth/keyboard the more I wonder why someone doesn't just smack you.

Who cares about Mike Tyson's daughter? Well, me for one. It's tragic when a child dies in a preventable accident and if the publicity from her death helps make more people aware of the danger that hanging cords have for small children than I'm all for CNN publicizing her death.

Believe it or not, there isn't some higher power slowing down celebrity deaths simply to f*ck up your life or the life of the Deathlist.

You know, all deaths are significant somewhere. Everyone's death - even Jade's - deserve some measure of respect, although I will admit some more than others. Someone who deadpools as an intellectual "gambling" exercise - whether for money or not - understands that the scene waxes and wanes. You, on the other hand, seem to believe that people stay alive simply to piss you off.

Having your own life does wonders for your perspective on death. Try it.

The issue I have is that several news media outlets (especially CNN) treated Tyson's daughter death not just as headline news, but BREAKING NEWS. The four year old daughter of a convicted rapist made BREAKING NEWS on many media outlets when she died. I dunno, but if you ask me, I think that "Breaking News" headlines should only be reserved for the most exigent of news stories (e.g., the death of a MAJOR celebrity, the signing of a major bill, etc.).

I guess I take issue with that b/c many celebrities who died this past year were virtually ignored by CNN and most of the liberal media. When Ron Silver died, nobody paid attention to his death. I guess it's b/c he was a liberal-turned-conservative he ended up being shunnned by most of the media, especially when he died. Stan Winston was also ignored by the media. In fact, i only found out about his death when I looked him up on wikipedia!

Anthony Minghella received virtually no press when he died even though he had an impressive -- albeit rather short -- filmography.

I supposed the tragic circumstances of Tyson's daughter's death does warrant some media coverage. But CNN I believe devoted an entire segment covering her death. I'm sorry, I think that's too much.

Just my opinion. I'm not denying that it was a tragic event. But I think her death got a lot of preferential treatment b/c she's the daughter of a famous convicted rapist.

Some interesting posts since I last commented here about 2009 being a bad year for the deathlist. I remember it was slow to start in 2007. I think when there is a year that has many significant deaths like 2008, some of the big picks can no longer be put on the following year's list and as such causes a slow start.

**BREAKING NEWS**

Prominent abortion doctor George Tiller has been shot to death!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/31/kansas...lled/index.html

Again!!!??? Geeeeeez he's not having a good day is he now BCAlum??!!!

So that's once on this thread, and once on the assassinations thread, will there be a third time lucky?

Huh?

What kind of question is that?

Sunk at last ... Millvena Dean dead at 97, last survivor of Titanic

Why do people keep reporting this?

It's because they don't check to see if they have their own thread, it gets reported here moved to the correct thread and then someone else comes along thinking that no one else has reported it, so they post the info again on here.

It's because they don't check to see if they have their own thread, it gets reported here moved to the correct thread and then someone else comes along thinking that no one else has reported it, so they post the info again on here.

This thread is the Dead of 2009 and she died in 2009 so it belongs here, even if she has her own thread. Surely not one OR the other. In which case this thread should be 'Dead of 2009 Who Do Not Have Their Own Thread'.

This thread is the Dead of 2009 and she died in 2009 so it belongs here, even if she has her own thread. Surely not one OR the other. In which case this thread should be 'Dead of 2009 Who Do Not Have Their Own Thread'.

OR you just can't admit you're wrong and you can't be arsed checking before you post?

OR you just can't admit you're wrong and you can't be arsed checking before you post?

Can't think of anyone else like that...

Anyway...Danny La Rue has died aged 81.

He probably has his own thread but I'll be stuffed if I can be bothered with that bloody seach feature.

He probably has his own thread but I'll be stuffed if I can be bothered with that bloody seach feature.

wow, that was the first news report I saw when I logged on to the BBC site this morning.

What a drag.

What a drag.

Bugger, I remember remarking how old he looked when was on that Norman Wisdom programme last year, then fogot all about him for this year's DDP