Banshees Scream

The Dead Of 2009

Ed McMahon, longtime sidekick of US TV talk show host Johnny Carson:

Would it be really wrong for me to say that I never heard of the guy before?

Nope, I hadn't heard of him until I moved here.

McMahon died on Tuesday at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center

No wonder he didn't make it....

Grrr, why couldn't ED have been on the list... :blink: oh well, on to the next wait...

Hopefully that'll stop BCAlum 'moaning' for a while.

Additionally, McMahon is the third The Simpsons guest star to die this year... perhaps I'll create a mundane thread about it.

Hmm, 3rd Simpsons guest star...time to do a review of all the rest...couldn't hurt...That IS sorta' strange though

Grrr, why couldn't ED have been on the list... :blink: oh well, on to the next wait...

Additionally, McMahon is the third The Simpsons guest star to die this year... perhaps I'll create a mundane thread about it.

Who were the first 2?

Who were the first 2?

Linda McArtney (spelling) and Barry White?

Who were the first 2?

Linda McArtney (spelling) and Barry White?

Well, Tito Puente and Ron Taylor are long gone, as is George Harrison! I thought it meant died THIS year?

Who were the first 2?

Linda McArtney and Barry White?

The first two this year were Patrick McGoohan and John Updike. I compiled a list for a fansite a while back, so I guess I may as well create a thread for the few who may be interested....

Who were the first 2?

The first two this year were Patrick McGoohan and John Updike. I compiled a list for a fansite a while back, so I guess I may as well create a thread for the few who may be interested....

Why not....... The curse of the Simpsons

Who were the first 2?

Of course. I just came across Updike's appearance - not an episode I've seen - and I had forgotten McGoohan had been in the Simpsons.

Grrr, why couldn't ED have been on the list... :banghead: oh well, on to the next wait...

For the time being, yes. :blink:

Anyway, I'd be lying to all of you if I didn't admit that I'm feeling a bit of, well "FINALLY!" As in, finally, I got a hit (even though I had McMahon listed for 2010, I'll still count him as a success).

I'm not particularly saddened or shocked Ed McMahon died, to be frank. To me, he wasn't exactly one of the more likable TV personalities. His final years of his life were marred by financial problems and embarassing and degrading appearances on TV commercials.

Most people outside America probably have never really heard of him anyway. But he's a big deal in the States.

Grrr, why couldn't ED have been on the list... :banghead: oh well, on to the next wait...

Anyway, I'd be lying to all of you if I didn't admit that I'm feeling a bit of, well "FINALLY!" As in, finally, I got a hit (even though I had McMahon listed for 2010, I'll still count him as a success).

I'm not particularly saddened or shocked Ed McMahon died, to be frank. To me, he wasn't exactly one of the more likable TV personalities. His final years of his life were marred by financial problems and embarassing and degrading appearances on TV commercials.

Most people outside America probably have never really heard of him anyway. But he's a big deal in the States.

Just to clarify here after your Zsa Zsa comment, by your reckoning if you are lacking financial funds it is thus time to die? Does this mean that those living off of a basic state pension or those who've had all their savings taken from them to pay for their residential care should not bother trying to eek out their existence any longer?

IMHO you are one strange character with little moral forethought. I was of the belief this site does not wish people to hurry up and die. The sooner you realise this the better. We may then get a little diversity in your posting.

Just to clarify here after your Zsa Zsa comment, by your reckoning if you are lacking financial funds it is thus time to die? Does this mean that those living off of a basic state pension or those who've had all their savings taken from them to pay for their residential care should not bother trying to eek out their existence any longer?

IMHO you are one strange character with little moral forethought. I was of the belief this site does not wish people to hurry up and die. The sooner you realise this the better. We may then get a little diversity in your posting.

I am one strange and eccentric character. But I'm always under the impression that deathpools attract strange and wonderful creatures like us.

Anyway, I'll make an effort to add diversity to my postings. ;)

For the time being, yes. :crossbone:

Sorry but I gotta side with BC on this one. It has nothing to do with pensions, etc.. Just some common sense. Someone making that kind of money who fails to pay their bills isn't very high on my list of responsible people. Ok he fought in 2 wars, and donates $$, that doesn't make you immune to paying your mortgage. If you can't afford the mansion...DOWNSIZE!!!

"Ed McMahon, who has given to so many, may now lose his Beverly Hills home to foreclosure because he owes approximately $644,000 in payments on a nearly $5 million mortgage loan. Added to that fiscal fiasco is that American Express obtained a judgment against McMahon for just about $750,000 in unpaid bills, and a Washington-based company named Hix Inc. claimed he failed to repay a loan of $135,000. (In February, McMahon settled with Hix Inc., and now owes $51,000.) All tallied, McMahon, who earned millions over his 50-year career, is in debt for nearly $1.5 million.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-lewi...y_b_105552.html

I'd just had an e-mail about the same death HMBWA, Swells Wiki Page presents a fairly balanced summary of a unique career. I was once honoured to enjoy a Carlisle away match at Southend in the company of the great man, we're unlikely to see his like again. I may open Tits Out Teenage Terror Totty tonight and enjoy again that scream that goes on for 14 pages.

The Big C has nabbed ex-NME scribe and punk poet Steven 'Seething' Wells.

I considered him for the DDP this year. I was only reading an article from him a couple of days ago about the legendarily awful US-based Irish football commentator Tommy Smyth.

Seemed to have an unhealthy hatred for The Smiths/Morrissey. Basically he was born white and he didn't like that one bit...

I considered him for the DDP this year. I was only reading an article from him a couple of days ago about the legendarily awful US-based Irish football commentator Tommy Smyth.

Seemed to have an unhealthy hatred for The Smiths/Morrissey. Basically he was born white and he didn't like that one bit...

Glad you didn't follow through as I think that gives me and my alterego an additional 3 points unique pick bonus.

Glad you didn't follow through as I think that gives me and my alterego an additional 3 points unique pick bonus.

Ah, so you're Now that's What I Call SIGNIFICANT 2009!

You're having a good debut...

Swells was a 'the World is sh*t, I say it's sh*te' type of journo. A sort of left wing Julie Burchill...

Marchioness of Aberdeen and Temair, June Gordon, has died aged 95.

The only reason I mention her is that I remember Notapotato mentioning her a couple of years back.

Marchioness of Aberdeen and Temair, June Gordon, has died aged 95.

The only reason I mention her is that I remember Notapotato mentioning her a couple of years back.

Ah yes, June.

I fondly remember struggling through several of her opera productions several years ago.

Although perhaps fondly is a bit strong.

/edit: If I'm quick I could just about get to the memorial service on Wednesday. See you there Windsor?

/edit: If I'm quick I could just about get to the memorial service on Wednesday. See you there Windsor?

A mini death-con at the Marchioness's funeral? What a fitting tribute to the dear old lady.

We may even get good seats. I'm a distant relation by marriage don't you know (although my lot are the bunch of bastards)