Banshees Scream

The Dead Of 2009

Tom Wilkes graphic designer with a CV including All Things Must Pass and Neil Young's Harvest album.

The Independent SHOULD give John Keel an obit, a top bloke who made a contribution to our understanding of the paranormal. I'm just miffed I'd dropped him from my deadpool teams.

Looks like my moaning worked.....

Archictectural photographer Julius Shulman has died aged 98.

Surprisingly not picked in this years DDP.....

Almost though... he was one or two places away from making my team, but I figured that he wouldn't get a proper obit... I'll be interested to see if he does...

I'll be shocked if The Independent doesn't give him an obituary. It's a paper I buy every day and I'm always amazed at some of the people they give obituaries to e.g. they gave one to ufologist John A. Keel the other day.....

Yep, its perfect for lining the Budgie cage with.

Soft, strong and very absorbent.

A Daily Mail (gutter media) man yourself?

Oh no!!

Im a Sun reader.

Cant you tell?

I overestimated you....

At least you can look down your nose at the News of the World/Daily Star readers....

Sorry to disappoint you but I dont look down my nose at anybody, well mostly anyway.

The level of someones intelligence and acumen should never be measured against whether they are Broadsheet or Tabloid.

Somebody on this very forum is probably more intelligent than the rest of us put together but their posting style and modesty wouldnt have you guessing it was them in a million years.Thats being truly clever.

Dont let them think that you are.

I do miss Banshees.

Gordon Waller, half of the duo, Peter and Gordon, has ruled himself out of all upcoming tour dates by dying of a heart attack.

Meanwhile, ancient actress Beverly Roberts, who co-starred with Humphrey Bogart in the 1936 film "Two Around the World," has died aged 96.

Brenda Joyce, best known for her appearance as Jane in the Tarzan films died on July 4, aged 97..... just nobody bothered telling us until now :lol: At least it dismisses the rumours that she died in 2004....

She was picked by one team, Popping Their Clogs on the DDP.... UK obit? Most likely.

EDIT: Turns out, according to one of Joyce's friends that she was only 92 (and other sources around the net citing 1917 must be correct). IMDb once again citing misleading DOBs... nothing new about that...

Cronkite cronked....

Just on the eve of the anniversary of his moment of glory, the newsreport of the moonlanding...

Cronkite cronked....

Just on the eve of the anniversary of his moment of glory, the newsreport of the moonlanding...

He does have his own thread on the 2009 picks section y'know...

Yeah, I know. But if I didn't say it some other joker will do it...

Yeah, I know. But if I didn't say it some other joker will do it...

True...

Walter Cronks Out?

first world war veteran and world oldest man henry allingham is dead at 113

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/585...ngham-dies.html

Sad news, but it was inevitable at such an age. Good innings and all that.

EDIT: Argh! Not on my team(s). Surprised he died before Harry Patch to be honest. RIP to a unique man with such an incredible life.

first world war veteran and world oldest man henry allingham is dead at 113

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/585...ngham-dies.html

Sad news, but it was inevitable at such an age. Good innings and all that.

EDIT: Argh! Not on my team(s). Surprised he died before Harry Patch to be honest. RIP to a unique man with such an incredible life.

Only 3 points though...

Genuially saddened, but not at all surprised by Henry's passing. A truly inspirational man. RIP. :lol:

When BCAlum or Chicago10.. whatever (He/she is so boring & repetitive I can't even be bothered to remember their name) go on about "significant" deaths - Allingham's death has to be up there as from a purely historical point of view... a hell of a lot of history has gone. Is there anyone living now who saw WG Grace play? Who remembers Queen Victoria's death? Who was there at the battle of Jutland? I doubt it for the first two now & certainly not for the last one.

Looks like I have a busy Monday ahead of me updating the DDP.. mind Joyce, Cronkite & Allingham aren't big scorers....

Genuially saddened, but not at all surprised by Henry's passing. A truly inspirational man. RIP. :lol:

When BCAlum or Chicago10.. whatever (He/she is so boring & repetitive I can't even be bothered to remember their name) go on about "significant" deaths - Allingham's death has to be up there as from a purely historical point of view... a hell of a lot of history has gone. Is there anyone living now who saw WG Grace play? Who remembers Queen Victoria's death? Who was there at the battle of Jutland? I doubt it for the first two now & certainly not for the last one.

Looks like I have a busy Monday ahead of me updating the DDP.. mind Joyce, Cronkite & Allingham aren't big scorers....

Funnily enough, when I read that when England last beat Australia at Lords in 1934, it was for the first time since 1896! So just one win at

the home of English Cricket over the old enemy in 113 years! So Allingham would have just been alive as a baby when they won back then...

The most significant death of all regarding WWI veterans will be the last one. Britain still has one left in Harry Patch. Apt too, as he was in the trenches...

Just out of curiosity. Why wasn't he on the list? Was he a too easy vicitm?

Oh, and maninblack, the BBC mentions that there are two surviving WW1 vets still alive. There's also 108-years old Claude Choules, who served in the Royal Navy. The beeb also mentions the big events he witnessed in his lifetime. Strangely enough it mentions the death of Elvis but somehow omits the sinking of the Titanic. As much as I admire the King of Rock 'n' Roll, I think that other event is a much more serious event than his death...

Just out of curiosity. Why wasn't he on the list? Was he a too easy vicitm?

War veterans and those known for being the last in something or the oldest of something are generally left out as they're too easy and haven't found fame through anything else. Arguably Ruby Muhammad should never have made last years list.....

Granted. His fame as "oldest man alive" was only given to him two weeks ago.

However you also have a hand in picking sitting ducks like Wendy Richard and Jade Goody, who were bound to die this year. Did you forget to include Farah Fawcett?

However you also have a hand in picking sitting ducks like Wendy Richard and Jade Goody, who were bound to die this year.

So he could be a candidate for the "Briefest Longest Living Man"?

To me, the people arguing about "significant" deaths have questionable priorities. To me, Allingham and Cronkite are far more significant than Michael Jackson.

I guess that's because I'm over 40 and have life experience beyond MTV.

However you also have a hand in picking sitting ducks like Wendy Richard and Jade Goody, who were bound to die this year. Did you forget to include Farah Fawcett?

Mate, if I had had my way Richard would've been on that list. It was clear that she was dying and a huge mistake to leave her off.

Fawcett on the other hand... her cancer was getting better before very quickly getting worse again at the beginning of the year and Goody's cancer kicked in extremely quickly. I think we all expected her to last until 2010 and that's why she missed the list....

Mate, if I had had my way Richard would've been on that list. It was clear that she was dying and a huge mistake to leave her off.

Fawcett on the other hand... her cancer was getting better before very quickly getting worse again at the beginning of the year and Goody's cancer kicked in extremely quickly. I think we all expected her to last until 2010 and that's why she missed the list....

Perhaps I'm at cross purposes but Wendy Richard was on the list, she was our second hit of 2009.

Perhaps I'm at cross purposes but Wendy Richard was on the list, she was our second hit of 2009.

I'm really starting to lose the plot....