Banshees Scream

The Dead Of 2009

Matthew Corbett very definitely alive, sold Sooty in 1997 mind, at which point it ceased to be a family business, passed into the hands of an investment company, who sold it to to an entertainment company (also owners of other copyrighted characters like Thomas the Tank Engine), and just over a year ago Sooty was bought out by Richard Cadell, the current Sooty presenter and is now managed by Duo - a company co-owned by Cadell.

Matthew Corbett very definitely alive, sold Sooty in 1997 mind, at which point it ceased to be a family business, passed into the hands of an investment company, who sold it to to an entertainment company (also owners of other copyrighted characters like Thomas the Tank Engine), and just over a year ago Sooty was bought out by Richard Cadell, the current Sooty presenter and is now managed by Duo - a company co-owned by Cadell.

Often to be seen out and about in the village where he lives, messing about on his narrowboat or walking his dog. He's hardly a recluse, as Wikipedia appear to be suggesting, and the "Locks and Quays" program which he presented for Granada quite recently was very enjoyable. Seems a very pleasant chap actually, always says hello.

As mentioned in the Ideas thread, Frank Deasy has died of liver cancer at the age of 49

American trade unionist Crystal Lee Sutton is suffering from cancer. She was the subject of the 1978 film Norma Rae, which won two Oscar awards.

Crystal Lee Sutton has stopped agitating. A brave DDP pick for Deceased Hose. Good luck getting that UK obit Deadsox...

Thanks, DDT; I got it!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8708179

American trade unionist Crystal Lee Sutton is suffering from cancer. She was the subject of the 1978 film Norma Rae, which won two Oscar awards.

Crystal Lee Sutton has stopped agitating. A brave DDP pick for Deceased Hose. Good luck getting that UK obit Deadsox...

Thanks, DDT; I got it!

Would be fookin' them wouldn't it! :lol:

Guest David
Troy Kennedy Martin The Italian Job screen writer (amongst many other credits) has also died today.

A bit of a blow for the Ditchling Film Society, as they were hoping he'd attend a special 40th anniversary screening of the film.

Our second film on Thursday, 19 November in celebration of its fortieth anniversary, will be the original version of The Italian Job starring Michael Caine, an impressive line up of English actors from Benny Hill to Noel Coward and Mini Coopers ! A classic comedy caper about an amazing gold bullion heist from a heavily guarded palazzo in Venice. The screenplay was written by local resident Troy Kennedy Martin, whom we are hoping will be able to be present at the screening.

Never mind that sh*t, he was the writer of possibly the greatest British TV series ever, Edge of Darkness...

He did, but I think The Italian Job is much more widely known, and I haven't ever seen Edge of Darkness. I was working abroad in 1985 when it was first aired. Presumably its been repeated since but it has passed me by.

I see from Wikipedia that there's a remake due out next year starring Mel Gibson. I'm more inclined to seek out the original on DVD (as soon as I finish the Prime Suspect box set).

You can download the original from here

Thanks, but with the speed of my connection, it'll be just as quick waiting for the post! Besides, it'll be just like Christmas. :lol:

Can someone settle an argument between me and my 8 - year - old cousin, please? Is Matthew Corbett, who presented and wrote the classic kids' show Sooty, dead? I know he had leukemia - but my cousin says he's died. If he has, it's a great shame. I loved Sooty as a boy.

Still alive...

Another site said he'd had chronic lymphatic leukemia. You don't live that.

Guest Jilly
Another site said he'd had chronic lymphatic leukemia. You don't live that.

Now David, you know a dose of Lemsip is a cure-all. I meanafter all it did seem to sort out that discharge problem you gave me last summer.

Thanks, DDT; I got it!

Would be fookin' them wouldn't it! :lol:

After I emailed them to remind them.

As mentioned in the Ideas thread, Frank Deasy has died of liver cancer at the age of 49

I'm puzzled as to why the BBC still haven't mentioned Troy Kennedy Martin, seeing as he created one of the corporations most

iconic series of the 1960s, Z Cars and wrote the best drama of the 80s, Edge of Darkness.. :lol:

I'm puzzled as to why the BBC still haven't mentioned Troy Kennedy Martin, seeing as he created one of the corporations most iconic series of the 1960s, Z Cars and wrote the best drama of the 80s, Edge of Darkness.. :lol:

There's a mention now - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8258970.stm, however it does not mention this Edge of Darkness to which you refer. But it does mention Kelly's Heroes - I like that film, especially the theme song.

I'm puzzled as to why the BBC still haven't mentioned Troy Kennedy Martin, seeing as he created one of the corporations most iconic series of the 1960s, Z Cars and wrote the best drama of the 80s, Edge of Darkness.. :lol:

There's a mention now - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8258970.stm, however it does not mention this Edge of Darkness to which you refer. But it does mention Kelly's Heroes - I like that film, especially the theme song.

Yeah, I like that film too. I had no idea he wrote that...

A great pick who's just entered our Death League is NCAA President Myles Brand. Although not well known outside the United States, he's a blue chip prospect. He has pancreatic cancer and says of himself, the prognosis is "not good".

Dead

A great pick who's just entered our Death League is NCAA President Myles Brand. Although not well known outside the United States, he's a blue chip prospect. He has pancreatic cancer and says of himself, the prognosis is "not good".

Dead

My 4th Death League hit and he puts me into a tie for 1st place.

Arthur Ferrante, half of piano-playing duo Ferrante & Teicher, has died in Longboat Key Florida, at age 88.

I remember them appearing quite frequently on TV when I was a kid, often playing some film theme, like

Arthur Ferrante, half of piano-playing duo Ferrante & Teicher, has died in Longboat Key Florida, at age 88.

I remember them appearing quite frequently on TV when I was a kid, often playing some film theme, like

So bricks aren't your thing then?

So bricks aren't your thing then?

Curses! Must have spelt his name wrong when I searched.

Bricks? I love Bricks.

The actor John Hart has died at the age of 92, according to his Wikipedia page.

He was a last minute pick on my "Sheer Hart Attack" CPDP theme team. :ph34r:

Peter Denyer, Dennis Dunstable of 'Please Sir!' is reported dead at 62.

Oh no, Ralph's dead! :ph34r:

F*ck, I was only thinking about him the other day.

Piers Merchant "the former Tory MP and journalist who joined UKIP five years ago, has died from cancer, aged 58"

In 1997 "The Sun" published pictures of Piers Merchant, then the Conservative MP for Beckenham, apparently involved in an adulterous affair with a 17-year-old Soho nightclub hostess. Together with the resignations of Allan Stewart and Sir Michael Hirst for "past indiscretions", along with the continuing fall-out over the "cash-for-questions" affair involving Neil Hamilton, this was one of the main factors that hastened John Major into calling a General Election.