themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Today in 1907 Irish-Scottish physicist William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, died, aged 83.

373px-Sir_William_Thomson%2C_Baron_Kelvin%2C_1824_-_1907._Scientist%2C_resting_on_a_binnacle_and_holding_a_marine_azimuth_mirror.jpg

For his work on thermodynamics the abolute temperature (Kelvin) scale is named after him.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Musician/artist Don van Vliet AKA Captain Beefheart, died today in 2010...

beefheart.jpg

13 years ago, British singer-songwriter Kirsty MacColl was killed in a boat accident in Mexico. She was 41 years old.

Beside several (minor) hits of her own, she is best known for her singing part in “Fairytale of New York”, a Christmas song written and performed by The Pogues. In 1987 the song peaked at No.1 in Ireland and No2. in the UK. Since then the song entered the charts many times; actually it peaked at No.15!

Kirsty%2BMacColl.jpg

Italian actor Marcello Mastroianni died on December 19, 1996 aged 72.

PSQ1355945747PS50d217137b989.jpg

On December 20, 2009 the 32 years old actress Brittany Murphy died after collapsing in her bathroom. The cause was later revealed to be pneumonia with secondary factors of multiple prescription drug intoxication and iron-deficiency anemia.

6618332015.42535.jpg

Bob Monkhouse died 10 years ago today...

bob_monkhouse.jpg

Bobby Farrell, "singer" and dancer of 70s supergroup Boney M., died three years ago of a heart failure at age 61.

Bobby-Farrell.jpg

Jack Nance died 18 years ago today. All together now "she's dead, wrapped in plastic."

4306.jpg

Not a happy new year for American singer Patti Page, who died one year ago aged 85.

Patti-Page_510x510.jpg

Helen Suzman died five years ago today. The day after I dropped here from my DDP team, which I think is a record.

40 years ago American country musician and actor Tex Ritter died of a heart attack, ten days before his 69th birthday.

He had several hits and country-No.1-songs; he also recorded the movie-title-track "High Noon (Do not forsake me oh my darling)", which later became a Grammy- and Oscar-winner for Best Song in 1953.

He is the father of the late John Ritter and grandfather of actor Jason Ritter.

Tex%2BRitter.jpg

The 4th of January: Not a good day for literature:

1960: French/Algerian author Albert Camus died aged 46.

albert-camus.jpg

1965: American/British poet T.S. Eliot died aged 76.

TS-Eliot-007.jpg

1986: British novelist Christopher Isherwood died aged 81.

isherwood1.jpg

Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy died today in 1986. I remember it on the news, it was on a Saturday night as well...

135209688963467.jpg

• Like 1

Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy died today in 1986. I remember it on the news, it was on a Saturday night as well...

135209688963467.jpg

I remember it so well too, I was 18 years old and was getting ready to go out to Glasgow's rock nightclub of the day The Venue. I was in the bath and my dad knocked on the bathroom door and told me Phil had died. I sat in the bath with tears streaming down my face on hearing the news. I thought Phil was brilliant, still do, a wonderful singer and a sad loss to rock music. It was a very subdued atmosphere in The Venue that night and, as you would imagine, Thin Lizzy songs were predominant, lots of whisky was drunk that night in memory of a true legend. Many years later I visited Dublin and among the many places I wanted to visit was the grave of Mr. Lynott, my Dublin friends mixed up the cemeteries so instead I ended up drinking a glass of whisky at the grave of Michael Collins instead, a hero of a different kind.

Today in 1884 Austrian monk Gregor Mendel, the first to get the rules of genetic inheritance basically right, died in Brno, aged 61.

Gregor_Mendel.png

regards,

Hein

On January 7, 1992, Muppets-puppeteer Richard Hunt died of AIDS related complications, aged 40.

He was the performer of my favorite Muppet, Janice, and he also performed great characters as Scooter, Beaker, Statler, Sweetums and many others.

tumblr_m4sl0b1Cjk1r1wesfo1_400.jpg

• Like 2

The French poet Paul Verlaine died on January 8th, 1896, aged 51, broke and drug addicted.

He is – beside his writings – famous for his homosexual relationship with Arthur Rimbaud, which caused a great scandal at that time.

paul_verlaine.jpg

• Like 1

4 years ago British singer Dave Dee (of 60s pop group Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich) died of prostate cancer, aged 65.

In November 1966 they got to No.1 in Germany with “Bend it” and in March 1968 they had a UK-No.1-hit with “The Legend of Xanadu”.

DaveDee_1235281c.jpg

Vampira died 6 years ago today.

Unable to post an image for some reason.

4 years ago British singer Dave Dee (of 60s pop group Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich) died of prostate cancer, aged 65.

In November 1966 they got to No.1 in Germany with “Bend it” and in March 1968 they had a UK-No.1-hit with “The Legend of Xanadu”.

DaveDee_1235281c.jpg

I remember I first heard a mention of that band in an episode of Red Dwarf and I thought it was a joke band name made up by the scriptwriters. Just because it's such a long name I guess.

I remember I first heard a mention of that band in an episode of Red Dwarf and I thought it was a joke band name made up by the scriptwriters. Just because it's such a long name I guess.

Some more bands with long names

- And you will know us by the trail of dead

- Ostzonensuppenwürfelmachenkrebs

- We've got a fuzzbox and we're gonna use it

Enjoy! :)

By the way: 38 years ago Dame Agatha Christie died aged 85.

agathachristie.png

By the way: 38 years ago Dame Agatha Christie died aged 85.

agathachristie.png

I've seen her grave. Her husband is also buried there. He was an archaeologist, and on the headstone it is spelled "Archeaologist".

• Like 1

Harold_Shipman_mug_shot.jpg

Today is the 10 year anniversary of Harold Shipman's death

Harold_Shipman_mug_shot.jpg

Today is the 10 year anniversary of Harold Shipman's death

There's a guy across the street who has the same hair, a similar face, and exactly that same middle-age beardy look (that half the male GPs in the country look like). Me and my dad laugh cos we call him "Shipman". "Shipman's fixing up that old Morris Minor in his garage again". That's about as exciting as the banter gets between me and my dad, btw.

Dying today in history:

1872: Greyfriars Bobby, a dog that didn't move much

1984: Ray Kroc, whose mix of destructive sharklike capitalism and love of fatty foodstuffs make him the most American man ever

2006: Mark Philo, whose death in a drink-driving accident (he caused) made it really uncomfortable when you signed him on Football Manager that year.

• Like 1