themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

More recently, 10 years ago, perennial straight man Henry McGee died

• Like 5

William Wycliffe Anderson, better known as Leif Erickson and even better known as Big John Cannon from The High Chaparral died this day 30 years ago aged 74.

Leif_Erikson1.jpg

I loved the High Chaparral when i was a little penguin. Great theme tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaoxX9OU1Q

• Like 1

Heavens to Betsy Ross died this day 180 years ago aged 84. Her flag making acumen is bound to come up at some point in the forthcoming electoral brouhaha.

betsy-ross.jpg

Today in 1951: Austrian automotive engineer Ferdinand Porsche died, aged 75.

427px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-2005-1017-52

If it's German, has wheels and moves fast, Porsche designed it, or something in its pedigree.

1949_VW_Beetle.jpg

800px-Mercedes-Benz_SSKL%2C_Bj._1931_%28

800px-VK4501_Tiger%28P%29.jpg

• Like 1

I bet he'd be chuffed that his name is tagged to tacky footwear and 200 quid kettles

Ten years ago coretta Scott king made her last March towards freedom dying of respiratory failure at age 78 and from the wiki section of her health she sounds like a glaring ommision.

It is 410 years to the day that Guido Fawkes was hung, drawn and quartered (and died) aged 35. Thus began the tradition every 5th November that in all the villages of England someone was selected as a scapegoat and brutally slaughtered on the village green to the sound of the cheering residents. It is a tradition which remains to this day.

guy-fawkes.jpg

• Like 3

A.A. Milne pooh poohed his existence 60 years ago 1/31/1951.

50 years ago silent screen legend Buster Keaton exited stage left 01.02.1966

And February 1st 1851 saw Frankenstein author Mary Shelley pass away. Some say she was brought back to life in 1901 in the form of Barbara Cartland. Now that was one lady more frightening than Boris Karloffs monster

• Like 1

{Science pun alert} I'm certain Werner C Heisenberg died this day 40 years ago aged 74.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild183-R57262%2C_Wer

• Like 1

02-February-1995 Actor Donald Pleasence dies. He played villain Ernst Stavro Blofeld in the 1967 Bond movie "You only live twice".........Err it appears not.

2/2: 20 years ago this Groundhog's Day, actor entertainer extraordinaire Gene Kelly went from singing in the rain to lying in the dirt.

• Like 2

Johan Kaart,the Dutch Alfred Doolittle died this day 40 years ago aged 78.

266px-Johan_Kaart.jpg

2/2: 20 years ago this Groundhog's Day, actor entertainer extraordinaire Gene Kelly went from singing in the rain to lying in the dirt.

I have no idea why I find this amusing, I shouldn't really, but I'm still cackling at the second time of noticing it. Juvenile of me and will doubtless send me to hell. Ah well.

And of course this happened in 1959

tumblr_n0fr3j3eWK1tnb28lo1_400.jpg

Fellow bibliophiles will be appreciating the 900th Anniversary of the death of Coloman the Learned, King of Hungary and Croatia aged 45 (ish).

190px-K%C3%A1lm%C3%A1n_Thur%C3%B3czy.jpg

• Like 4

10 years ago, Al Lewis who played Grandpa Munster died at the age of 82

Al_Lewis_01.jpg

• Like 1

Well done Phantom.

Also 25 yeRs ago Nancy Kulp who played Miss Hathaway on the Beverly Hillbillys died Feb 3.l, age 70.

For Feb 4:

Iannis Xenakis, a Greek mathematician and composer therefrom; I started listening to his shit she I was like 9 and it would prove very influential to me later in life. I remember feeling quite sad when he died 15 years ago at 78.

SC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iannis_Xenakis#/media/File%3AXenakisMDaniel.jpg

Back in the day when Britain was almost all Roman (and civilised, where you always get a decent Chianti), 1805 years ago, the Emperor Septimius Severus,died this day aged 64. During his reign the Roman Empire was at its largest.

septimius-severus.jpg

Reg Presley of The Troggs lost his battle with lung cancer 3 years ago at the age of 71

Reg_Presley.jpg

Andrew Barton 'Banjo' Paterson would go waltzin' matilda no more, this day 70 years ago, aged 76.

220px-Banjo_Patterson.jpg

• Like 1

Feb 5:

Brian Jacques, some nobody author who would not get mentioned here for dying 5 years ago but for my boneheaded boner of putting him on my afterLife of Brian DDP team this year.

SirC

Feb 5:

Brian Jacques, some nobody author who would not get mentioned here for dying 5 years ago but for my boneheaded boner of putting him on my afterLife of Brian DDP team this year.

SirC

He was enormously popular in the UK about 10-15 years ago with the Redwall series. Which ended up as a sort of Watership Down meets Lord of the Rings hybrid. Didn't get it myself but my nephews had them all.

• Like 1