themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Davy Jones of the Monkees died 1 and/or 4 years ago (February 29, 2012).
All his fans went bananas when they heard the news!

rectangle.jpg

• Like 2

Feb 29 is a tough one (not as tough as when it's an odd number year pffft), but sticking to our guns, the only one worth a mention from me is Mr. Wes Ferrell, who penned (or co-penned) Hang On Sloopy and the theme for the Partridge Family show, 'C'mon Get Happy'. He left us 5.....er..... 20 years ago this Leap Day (1996).

SC

WellI don't abide by the 5 year 'rule' so I've no problem mentioning that Manx born artist Toni Onley died in an aviation accident on this day 12 years ago.

The births are far more interesting anyway. Aileen Wuornos and Richard Ramirez both born on 29th Feb.

I'm sure Joss Acklund is enjoying his 22nd birthday today.

• Like 1

I'm sure Joss Acklund is enjoying his 22nd birthday today.

Tempest Storm too. I was going to put in a theme team of 29th Feb birthdays into the DDP this year but I've only heard of about 5 of them who are still living.

Sheriff Pat Garrett was gunned down on this date in 1908 at the age of 57

Pat_Garrett2.jpg

WellI don't abide by the 5 year 'rule' so I've no problem mentioning that Manx born artist Toni Onley died in an aviation accident on this day 12 years ago.

The births are far more interesting anyway. Aileen Wuornos and Richard Ramirez both born on 29th Feb.

But if you did you'd get a like, which you could have had for mentioning Elpididio Quirino, 6th President of the Philippines who died this day 60 years ago aged 65.

elpidio-quirino.jpg

• Like 2

Is there a known case of a person who was born on 29 February as well as died on one?

Is there a known case of a person who was born on 29 February as well as died on one?

Yes, there is! James Milne Wilson (29 February 1812 – 29 February 1880), Premier of Tasmania from 1869 to 1872.

410px-James_Milne_Wilson.jpg

• Like 5

Ok so, maths wiz people what are the odds on that?

My best guess is...1 in 2,134,521 or 0.000047%

Expressed in terms of a current global population of 7 billion. The chance is 1 in 1461 of being born on the 29th feb, this would mean a total of 4,791,239 people with that birthday. if you take these people they then have a chance of dying on the same date of the same 1 in 1461. Meaning statistically you could expect the somewhat surprisingly large number of 3,279 of them to be born and also die on Feb 29th. The chance of any of these people being famous enough to be included hereabouts, is probably about 0 especially after the hit above :P

Of course historically there were nothing like 7 billion people worldwide, so you'd have to adjust for that.

Boring, and probably fatally flawed part follows. It's been a while since I was at school, and one makes no use of this learning whilst stacking shelves at Lidl.

1 in (1,461 * 1,461) where 29th feb is 1 day in 1461 (365*3 + 366). No allowance being made for the business of adding 3 leap days every 400 years (or rather the removal of one expected leap day to make 3 in 400 years which occured in 2000 iirc).

(1/1,461) * (1/1461) * 100. which gives 0.0000468489183287%.

Or 1/(1461*1461) * 100 which is the same.

And now, here's the weather with Carol....

• Like 4

Expressed in terms of a current global population of 7 billion. The chance is 1 in 1461 of being born on the 29th feb, this would mean a total of 4,791,239 people with that birthday. if you take these people they then have a chance of dying on the same date of the same 1 in 1461. Meaning statistically you could expect the somewhat surprisingly large number of 3,279 of them to be born and also die on Feb 29th. The chance of any of these people being famous enough to be included hereabouts, is probably about 0 especially after the hit above :P

Of course historically there were nothing like 7 billion people worldwide, so you'd have to adjust for that.

Boring, and probably fatally flawed part follows. It's been a while since I was at school, and one makes no use of this learning whilst stacking shelves at Lidl.

1 in (1,461 * 1,461) where 29th feb is 1 day in 1461 (365*3 + 366). No allowance being made for the business of adding 3 leap days every 400 years (or rather the removal of one expected leap day to make 3 in 400 years which occured in 2000 iirc).

Or 1/(1461x1461) * 100 which is the same.

Bravo, you are wasted at Lidl. There are other factors like birthdays are not evenly spread (more in September) and people will hang on for their Birthday while in their last days but why quibble. In these days of reporting any old banality, I suspect any Leaper or Leapling dying on their birthday will get a mention in most daily rags. Well done, again.

• Like 1

It's been 10 years since Peter Osgood suffered a heart attack at a fumeral and died aged 59.

03_peter_osgood.JPG

• Like 2

It's been 10 years since actor Jack Wild succumbed to cancer aged 53.

260px-Jackwild-march1970.jpg

• Like 2

It's 25 years since Edwin Land, inventor of the Polaroid Camera, became just a fleeting memory, aged 81.

edwin-land.jpg

• Like 1

The old fart presenter Paul Harvey once had a tid-bit that made me take interest; that Mr. Earl Scheib (very famous in America for a few decades for painting any car for $99) had been both born and died on Leap Day! I found this ASTOUNDING and have never forgotten it.

Now......years later and with the aid of Wiki, they've taken some air out of my sail, and claim that Mr. Scheib was born on Feb 28 not 29. I call bullshit, as the doddering old fool Paul Harvey simply COULDN"T be wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scheib

SirC

Or 1/(1461*1461) * 100 which is the same.

I'll defer to the 'wiz', but it's quite simple that any human being has a 1/365 chance (a 0.274% chance) of dying on their birthday (nice death pool bonus!). That fact can't be argued. Now how you factor in the 'once every four years' thing....well my dumbass wants to simply multiply that by 4 (1,460 +1)

Ahh but dumbass Sir Creep realizes his boner -- in fact that is the chance of being BORN on Leap Day (a 0.06845% chance). Now we must multiply THAT by the same factor (the odds of dying on that date are the same of course). Thus the odds of a person being born AND dying on leap year are a paltry 1/1461x1461, or 0.000046749% chance. Insert total world population as necessary... (actually if we go with 7B people, I come up with 3279 people on the earth today will accomplish this feat. How many will be popular enough to make a DP, well can't be more than a couple.

SC

Edit: It must be noted I didn't ever look at the 'wiz's answer prior to my diatribe and bloviating, which appears to be lock-step. I think we've gotten it right, mate!

March 1 marks the 10th year since the passing of drummer Johnny Jackson, which took the Jackson Five down to the Jackson Four.
SC

March 2:
The founding father of the Methodist Church, John Wesley: 225 years.

wesley2.jpg

• Like 2

Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, better known to the world as Dusty Springfield, went back today in 1999.

• Like 1

As it's been 800 years, we should note the passing of Robert the Bruce's eldest daughter, Marjorie aged 19 or maybe 20.

220px-Marjory_Bruce_%27tomb%27.jpg

Its a quarter of a century since Serge Gainsbourg departed (which makes me feel old).

Gainsbourg-300x195.jpeg

• Like 1

3/3:

Arthur Murray of dancing school fame -- 25 years

Arthur_Murray_System_1922.png

• Like 1

Six years ago...

One Foot in the Grave.

Michael-Foot-funeral-001.jpg

Plymouth Argyle have been in mourning ever since, by being shite.

• Like 3

Six years ago...

One Foot in the Grave.

Michael-Foot-funeral-001.jpg

Plymouth Argyle have been in mourning ever since, by being shite.

Newcastle must still be mourning Bobby Robson...