themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Nat King Cole died on this day in 1965, aged 45.

7653-004-4CF7FD5C.jpg

Coincidentally, the writer of one of his most famous hits, Mona Lisa, died on exactly 42 years later.

• Like 1

15 years since the last tactical change for Walter Winterbottom, aged 88.

220px-Walter_Winterbottom.jpg

• Like 1

The gates of life swung open for Octave Mirbeau 100 years ago at the age of 69

220px-Octave_Mirbeau.jpg

• Like 2

Full-time 15 years ago for England football's first (and longest serving) manager, Walter Winterbottom

article-2313544-00030CAA00000C1D-25_634x

Played 139, won 78, drew 33, and lost 28. He lead England to four consecutive World Cup finals and won the British Championships 13 times (7 outright, 6 shared). The losses include the 1-0 defeat by the USA in the '50 World Cup, and the 'Match of the Century', 3-6, against the Mighty Magyars of Hidegkuti & Puskas.

Elyse Knox stopped acting on this day 5 years ago, aged 94.

Elyse_Knox_1236095011.jpg

Full-time 15 years ago for England football's first (and longest serving) manager, Walter Winterbottom

Played 139, won 78, drew 33, and lost 28. He lead England to four consecutive World C2 up finals and won the British Championships 13 times (7 outright, 6 shared). The losses include the 1-0 defeat by the USA in the '50 World Cup, and the 'Match of the Century', 3-6, against the Mighty Magyars of Hidegkuti & Puskas.

Ahem, :referee: (2 above).

Played 139, won 78, drew 33, and lost 28. He lead England to four consecutive World C2 up finals and won the British Championships 13 times (7 outright, 6 shared). The losses include the 1-0 defeat by the USA in the '50 World Cup, and the 'Match of the Century', 3-6, against the Mighty Magyars of Hidegkuti & Puskas.

Ahem, :referee: (2 above).

How embarrassing. The red card matches my red face. In my defence, 10;24 counts as early morning for me.

• Like 1

A much better picture though, and 'Walter Winterbottom' is such a brilliantly clickety alliterative name that it bears repeating.

• Like 2

A much better picture though, and 'Walter Winterbottom' is such a brilliantly clickety alliterative name that it bears repeating.

Can't help but think that if a kid had a name like that these days, his life would hell.

Can't help but think that if a kid had a name like that these days, his life would hell.

I really like the name Walter, it is overdue for a comeback. It never did Walter Swinburn any harm.

Winterbottom, on the other cheek hand - if I was lumbered with that I would probably change it. Changing the last four letters gives you Winterbourne which is much nicer.

I know a Shufflebottom. I've asked they thought about changing their name but they couldn't be arsed.

• Like 2

I really like the name Walter, it is overdue for a comeback. It never did Walter Swinburn any harm.

Winterbottom, on the other cheek hand - if I was lumbered with that I would probably change it. Changing the last four letters gives you Winterbourne which is much nicer.

Lad at my junior school was named Hickenbottom; during the summer holidays prior to moving to seniors, it mysteriously changed to Hicking.

Thelonious Monk's Time was up 35 years ago at 'Round About Midnight on this day at the age of 64.

2765-004-B51563FD.jpg

• Like 3

*checks above*

It's 105 years since Edgar Evans perished during RF Scott's ill-fated expedition to the South Pole.

Edgar_Evans.jpg

Having collapsed the previous day, he was left behind while the remainder of the party advanced to the next supply station; on returning for him the next day, his condition had deteriorated and he died that night. His body was never located.

• Like 2

Ciro Alegría wasn't alegre anymore on this day 50 years ago, aged 57.

Ciro-Alegr%C3%ADa.jpg

• Like 2

Mike Davis - bassist for the MC5 - 5 years.

• Like 2

Dr. Robert Oppenheimer's optimism fell even further when he bombed out of life 50 years ago today, at the age of 62.

B12.jpg

• Like 4

No more breakfasts for Charles Lewis Tiffany, renowned jeweller, who died 3 days after his 90th birthday, 115 years ago.

Tiffany-Charles.jpg

• Like 3

Ralph Graves stopped acting on this day 40 years ago, aged 77.

Ralph_Graves_actress-312x457.jpg

• Like 2

The mystery was over for August Meissner 110 210 years ago, aged 53.

220px-August_Gottlieb_Mei%C3%9Fner.jpg

Your calculator is broken. :P

• Like 1

It's the 4th anniversary of a TMIB favourite iirc but I'll leave that in case he wants to post it.

Otherwise 2 wrestlers died on this day: woman's pioneer Mildred Burke in 1989, aged 73, and, from 1995, territories star/ECW co-founder/complete nutter Eddie Gilbert aged only 33. I still remember getting my VHS of the 1996 Royal Rumble, and during it Mr Perfect refers to scrub Doug Gilbert's "late, great brother Eddie" - the first I knew Gilbert had died, which was a big shock to child me at the time.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Kenyan rebel leader Dedan Kimathi became dead(en) on this day 60 years ago.

tumblr_mc9x4xJbHh1ru6qefo1_400.jpg

• Like 2