themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Only found out this guy was dead yesterday, while looking for something else. Coincidentally it was also the anniversary of his death. You may not recognise the name but if I say Geoffrey from Waiting for God you'll be able to picture him. Andrew Tourell.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0869628/

• Like 1

Only found out this guy was dead yesterday, while looking for something else. Coincidentally it was also the anniversary of his death. You may not recognise the name but if I say Geoffrey from Waiting for God you'll be able to picture him. Andrew Tourell.

No, I can't, which prompts me to ask why Google image search is so bloody useless nowadays. You put somebody's name in, and you get loads of pictures of completely different people. That never used to happen. And you used to be able to get a caption by mousing over the images, but now you get the url of the site the image comes from, which is no help if you quickly want to check who it is.

geoffrey.jpg?psid=1

Edit: That postimage.org wasn't playing ball earlier, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Tried with microsofts one drive doodad, but the direct way of linking doesn't end .jpg so was disallowed here. Tried another way... ok, I'm falling asleep with the tedium of this...

geoffrey.jpg

Edited by En Passant

Andrew Tourell died on 17th January 2004 a day before his 58th birthday.

He is perhaps best remembered for playing Graham Crowden's son, Geoffrey, in Waiting for God.

geoffrey.jpg

FTFY :)

• Like 1

Ta. No, I don't recall seeing him in anything, but then I've had long spells of not watching much telly.

If you can keep your head when those around are losing theirs, it's 80 years since the death of Rudyard Kipling aged 70.

rudyard-kipling.jpg

On this day 18th January in 2009 Tony Hart died aged 83-famous tv presenter and artist of Hartbeat fame the popular children's drawing art show.

On this day in 1862 the 10th President of the United States of America John Tyler died aged 71.

In today's politics he'd probably be in the democratic party but back then in the embryonic state of US politics he was in the Whig tradition politically.

He was never elected, one of the few presidents who wasnt -he became President after a months stint as vice president when the president died. He served nearly 5 years as US President from 1841-1845 a record amount of time to serve in the top job unelected to the position.

• Like 1

Actress and inventress Hedley Hedy Lamarr died on 19th January 2000 aged 85.

At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr along with composer George Antheil, developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes, using spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.

Headley.jpg Hedy.jpg
She is probably best remembered for being a U.S. State Attorney General.
  • Like 2

Wilson Pickett - 10 years

Deirdre_Barlow_Coronation_Street.jpg

A year since Deidre Barlow would walk the street no more. Anne Kirkbride died this day aged 60.

Edited by Magere Hein
Image fixed

He played Penny's ex-husband in Just Good Friends. (Sylvia Kay is still alive.. Just sayin)

He played Penny's ex-husband in Just Good Friends. (Sylvia Kay is still alive.. Just sayin)

So, the only 2 roles we can recall, he was, basically, a "bit of a chump" in then.

I used to think they were just being "luvvies" when they worried about typecasting, maybe there's something in it after all....

On this day the 19th of January in previous years

1927 Carlotta of Mexico died. She was a Belgian princess the daughter of Leopold l of Belgium who went on to marry Maximilian 1St of Mexico. She was 86.

1987 Renowned psychologist Lawrence Kohlberg died best known for his studies and theories of how humans make moral judgements in his "Theory of stages of moral development"

1755 Jean-Pierre Christin, a French mathematician, physicist and astronomer died. His proposal to reverse the Celsius thermometer scale and thus change the practice of classifying boiling water as being at zero degrees and and ice forming at 100 degree's in temperature -a practice still with us today. He was 71.

Finally in 2010 Bill McLaren died -the Scots born commentator was known affectionately as "the voice of rugby" thanks to much of his legendary live match commentary. He was 86.

Edited by Magere Hein
Name Jean-Pierre Christin fixed
  • Like 1

Today in 1874 German poet August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben died from a stroke, aged 75.

Hoffmann_von_Fallersleben.jpg

His best known work is Das Lied der Deutschen ("Deutschland, Deutschland über alles").

Presumably caused by the effort of trying to give someone his autograph?

On the 20th of January

On this day in 1990 we lost one of Hollywoods biggest stars of the golden era the legendary Barbara Stanwyck passed away aged 82.

We lost another Hollywood great three years later in 1993 actress and style icon Audrey Hepburn of "Breakfast at Tiffanys" fame died aged 63 of cancer.

We also lost on this day in 2012 the incredibly talented American singer Etta James at the age of 73, most famous for her song "I just wanna make love to you" but crossed across many musical genres from the blues to R+B, soul and Jazz.

In 1666 Spanish born royal Anne of Austria who was the Queen of France and Navarre via her marriage via her marriage to King Louis XIII.

She had been betrothed or promised to Louis from the age of 11 and continued in a status as royal consort to her son Louis Xiv after she was widowed. She died aged 64 and was surrounded by much drama, intrigue and political scheming in her life as well as her husbands rallying against the protestants. Their marriage was notoriously unhappy and conflict ridden.

PS I'm a bit of a luddite and I'd love to post a picture of Barbara Stanwyck on this thread in her prime but I only seem to know how to post a link. Can anyone please help or post such a picture of one of Hollywoods best for me please? ☺👍

Jan 20

King George V - 80 years

Gerry Mulligan - 20 years

On the 20th of January

On this day in 1990 we lost one of Hollywoods biggest stars of the golden era the legendary Barbara Stanwyck passed away aged 82.

barbara-stanwyck-so-big.jpg

We lost another Hollywood great three years later in 1993 actress and style icon Audrey Hepburn of "Breakfast at Tiffanys" fame died aged 63 of cancer.

2f7d327228582f03cf6432569574f46a.jpg

We also lost on this day in 2012 the incredibly talented American singer Etta James at the age of 73, most famous for her song "I just wanna make love to you" but crossed across many musical genres from the blues to R+B, soul and Jazz.

In 1666 Spanish born royal Anne of Austria who was the Queen of France and Navarre via her marriage via her marriage to King Louis XIII.

She had been betrothed or promised to Louis from the age of 11 and continued in a status as royal consort to her son Louis Xiv after she was widowed. She died aged 64 and was surrounded by much drama, intrigue and political scheming in her life as well as her husbands rallying against the protestants. Their marriage was notoriously unhappy and conflict ridden.

PS I'm a bit of a luddite and I'd love to post a picture of Barbara Stanwyck on this thread in her prime but I only seem to know how to post a link. Can anyone please help or post such a picture of one of Hollywoods vest for me please? ☺

There ya go.

(If you can post a link, you can post a picture... copy the picture URL, click on the square icon to the right of the link icon on the post, paste URL.)

• Like 1

On the 20th of January

barbara-stanwyck-so-big.jpg

2f7d327228582f03cf6432569574f46a.jpg

PS I'm a bit of a luddite and I'd love to post a picture of Barbara Stanwyck on this thread in her prime but I only seem to know how to post a link. Can anyone please help or post such a picture of one of Hollywoods vest for me please? ☺

There ya go.

(If you can post a link, you can post a picture... copy the picture URL, click on the square icon to the right of the link icon on the post, paste URL.)

Many Thanks ☺

As it is a significant anniversary, I felt we should remember the 125th year since the death of Kalakaua the last King of Hawai'i aged 54. During his reign he reintroduced the hula and surfing for which we can all be eternally grateful.

220px-Kingdavidkalakaua_dust.jpg

• Like 1

51 years ago Alan Freed died at the age of 43 without whom, rock 'n' roll would not have got that intial push to a wider audience.

Alan_Freed_1957.JPG

1/21

Possible inventor of the telephone, depending what you believe, Elisha Gray - 110 years

• Like 1