themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Today in 1831 Dutch naval lieutenant Jan van Speijk, aged 29, blew up his gunboat rather than surrender it to Belgian rebels, when it was blown into Antwerp by a gale.

468px-Jan_van_Speyk.jpg

Dan liever de lucht in!

• Like 1

Feb 5:

Brian Jacques, some nobody author who would not get mentioned here for dying 5 years ago but for my boneheaded boner of putting him on my afterLife of Brian DDP team this year.

SirC

He was enormously popular in the UK about 10-15 years ago with the Redwall series. Which ended up as a sort of Watership Down meets Lord of the Rings hybrid. Didn't get it myself but my nephews had them all.

Yes, I had heard of him despite not being one of his readers.

Much better known here that the dull US university bods and sportspeople that Sir C considers notable.

• Like 2

Today in 1831 Dutch naval lieutenant Jan van Speijk, aged 29, blew up his gunboat rather than surrender it to Belgian rebels, when it was blown into Antwerp by a gale.

468px-Jan_van_Speyk.jpg

Dan liever de lucht in!

Who were the Belgians rebelling against?

This is an area of history I know nothing of.

• Like 1

Dan liever de lucht in!

Who were the Belgians rebelling against?

This is an area of history I know nothing of.

The Dutch. In 1815 what are now The Netherlands and Belgium were united in one Kingdom of the Netherlands. The Belgians rebelled against the Kingdom in 1830 in what´s known to English speakers as the Belgian Revolution. On 7 February 1831, the Belgian Constitution was proclaimed and the separation from the Dutch was a fact. The war continued on and off until in 1839 the separation was settled in the Treaty of London.

Is there still a small part of your nation that believes that the Belgians are all just treacherous bastards who should be forcibly brought back into the fold and swear fealty to your King or were you glad to see the back of the dull equine devouring pen pushers?

Is there still a small part of your nation that believes that the Belgians are all just treacherous bastards who should be forcibly brought back into the fold and swear fealty to your King or were you glad to see the back of the dull equine devouring pen pushers?

I´m not aware of adherents of such irredentism, but such sentiments lived well into the 20th century. Belgian territorial claims after 1918 caused some anti-Belgian sentiment in the Netherlands, but that died PDQ.

There are people on both sides of the border who subscribe to the idea of a Greater Netherlands. Ever since WWII this idea has become strongly associated with the far-right, in Belgium as well as in the Netherlands. The Dutch government position on the matter was expressed well by former Dutch PM Balkenende: "the fate of Belgium is not for us to decide".

• Like 1

Feb 5:

Brian Jacques, some nobody author who would not get mentioned here for dying 5 years ago but for my boneheaded boner of putting him on my afterLife of Brian DDP team this year.

SirC

I'm pretty certain he did get mentioned at the time. He was better known to me as Radio Merseyside presenter and I have family connections to that radio station. He was certainly mentioned by myself as a possibility but was deemed not famous enough.

Feb 5:

SirC

I'm pretty certain he did get mentioned at the time. He was better known to me as Radio Merseyside presenter and I have family connections to that radio station. He was certainly mentioned by myself as a possibility but was deemed not famous enough.

Is this the source of your ITK stories Handy?? :D

No longer traversing the Parisienne Walkways, Gary Moore died this day 5 years ago aged 58.

220px-Gary-Moore-at-Pite-Havsbad.jpg

Personally, I've still got the blues..

• Like 1

Interesting in that I saw Moore but decided he didn't make the cut lol. Oh well he's posted anyway, good for him.

Feb 6:

General Alexandre Dumas - 210 years

Danny Thomas - 25 years

No longer traversing the Parisienne Walkways, Gary Moore died this day 5 years ago aged 58.

220px-Gary-Moore-at-Pite-Havsbad.jpg

Personally, I've still got the blues..

Wow, didn't realise it's been 5 years already. I saw him on the Still Got The Blues tour. I got free tickets as a parcel going through the post fell apart, there was no return address. Inside was a promo copy of the single and a couple of tickets. My dad was working for the post office at the time and gave them to me. Good gig, and I still have the single somewhere.

Parisian! It should be Parisian Walkways !!! Grrr. angry-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif That has always irritated me.

Parisian! It should be Parisian Walkways !!! Grrr. angry-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif That has always irritated me.

Il parle en franglais. :D

Indeed. It should also be plural, if rendered in French: "passerelles parisiennes"

Or it could be masculine, but must still be plural: "trottoirs parisiens"

So very much simpler to stick with the English adjective "Parisian".

[/pedant]

Moore was the only time I made it to the famous Apollo in Glasgow , night before my English 'o' grade in 1984. Actually that would make it my Higher.

Wasn't as good as I'd hoped , would've far preferred Rory...

Daniel Chodowiecki, Polish artist, showed no one else his etchings after this day 215 years ago, aged 74.

220px-Adolf_Friedrich_Erdmann_von_Menzel

• Like 1

Daniel Chodowiecki, Polish artist, showed no one else his etchings after this day 215 years ago, aged 74.

That's a euphemism, innit?

• Like 1

Indeed. It should also be plural, if rendered in French: "passerelles parisiennes"

So very much simpler to stick with the English adjective "frogs".

[/pedant]

EFA

So very much simpler to stick with the English adjective "frogs".

[/pedant]

EFA

No, no, no. 'Frogs' is a noun.

• Like 2

That's a euphemism, innit?

Yeah - and they're some etchings.

Ivo Caprino, Norweigan puppet film maker, died this day 15 years ago aged 70.

220px-Ivo_Caprino.jpg

Ivo Caprino, Norweigan puppet film maker, died this day 15 years ago aged 70.

Not a name I recognise. Hey, he's got a Wikipedia article.The titles there mean nothing to me, mind.

ETA: this reminds me of a remark Hugo Brandt Corstius (disguised as Piet Grijs) made about Norwegian playwright Ibsen: "Wrote plays in Norwegian. That didn't help; they got translated."

Edited by Magere Hein
Battus joke added.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky died this day 135 years ago aged 59. Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Kazamarov are among his novels exploring life, death and the general brouhaha of Tzarist Russia.

fyodor-mikhaylovich-dostoyevsky.jpg

• Like 2