themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Feb 9

Disappointed in RHP who had first crack at it today and blew off Bill Haley (tsk tsk), but before we get to him...

The Last of the Red Hot Mamas, Sophie Tucker - 50 years ago

Percy Faith - 40 years

Some guy named Bill Haley (& the Comets) quit rocking around the clock and said see ya later alligator 35 years ago.

• Like 2

Feb 9

Disappointed in RHP who had first crack at it today and blew off Bill Haley (tsk tsk), but before we get to him...

Percy Faith - 40 years

Some guy named Bill Haley (& the Comets) quit rocking around the clock and said see ya later alligator 35 years ago.

I always like to leave something for you Sir C. And once you've reached Dostoyevsky it's hard to move on.

• Like 1

Feb 9

Percy Faith - 40 years

I always like to leave something for you Sir C. And once you've reached Dostoyevsky it's hard to move on.

Those books are on the shelf to impress visitors. You're not required to read them.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is apocryphal but it is reported that Billy Cotton on a BBC radio show in the 50s had a request to play one of her songs. He meant to say “this goes out to you and all the other Sophie Tucker fans” but Reverend Spooner put in an appearance and he said “this goes out to you and all the other soapy fucker tans”.

I'm not sure if this is apocryphal but it is reported that Billy Cotton on a BBC radio show in the 50s had a request to play one of her songs. He meant to say “this goes out to you and all the other Sophie Tucker fans” but Reverend Spooner put in an appearance and he said “this goes out to you and all the other soapy fucker tans”.

The Reverend Spooner died in 1930, so it couldn't have been on a radio show in the 50s.

Edited to say: ok just reread it now, thought at first Spooner appeared on Cotton's show.

The Reverend Spooner died in 1930, so it couldn't have been on a radio show in the 50s.

Edited to say: ok just reread it now, thought at first Spooner appeared on Cotton's show.

My apologies sir, it was of course a metaphorical appearance. :)

No need to apologise. I misread it.

I've only found a couple of vagues references to it only. I think Stephen Fry may have made a reference to it at some point too.

No need to apologise. I misread it.

I've only found a couple of vagues references to it only. I think Stephen Fry may have made a reference to it at some point too.

I remember hearing about it on a TV chat show years ago. The person regaling mentioned the Director General was in his car listening in on his new-fangled car radio and heard it. He telephoned the BBC to give Cotton a rollicking and the latter asked "do you think anyone noticed?". The DG replied "20 million listeners and you think no one noticed".

• Like 1

10 years ago Freddie Laker died at the age of 83

Freddie_Laker.jpg

My favourite Spooner anecdote is when he went to dinner at the house of another academic in north Oxford.

During the evening it began to rain heavily and as it had clearly set in for the night, Spooner was invited to stay the night rather than walk back to New College in the rain. He accepted, and his host went to prepare a room. When he returned, Spooner had vanished.

An hour later, the doorbell rang, and on the doorstep stood Spooner, dripping wet. He had been home to fetch his pyjamas.

• Like 1

My favourite Spooner anecdote is when he went to dinner at the house of another academic in north Oxford.

During the evening it began to rain heavily and as it had clearly set in for the night, Spooner was invited to stay the night rather than walk back to New College in the rain. He accepted, and his host went to prepare a room. When he returned, Spooner had vanished.

An hour later, the doorbell rang, and on the doorstep stood Spooner, dripping wet. He had been home to fetch his pyjamas.

He was also credited with asking someone the question "Was it you or your brother who was killed in the Great War?"

Feb 10:

William IX, Duke of Aquitaine -- 890 years

Billy Rose, composer of Its Only a Paper Moon & Me and My Shadow etc -- 50 years

Sir C, I had Duke of Aquitaine at 889 years but could be a calendar thing as discussed here times past. However, how could you have missed Francis Danby 155 years since his demise aged 67. I attach his Shipwreck for your aesthetic pleasure.

220px-Danby-shipwreck.jpg

Sir C, I had Duke of Aquitaine at 889 years but could be a calendar thing as discussed here times past. However, how could you have missed Francis Danby 155 years since his demise aged 67. I attach his Shipwreck for your aesthetic pleasure.

220px-Danby-shipwreck.jpg

All together now: we're doomed!

Sir C, I had Duke of Aquitaine at 889 years but could be a calendar thing as discussed here times past.

There's no need to pander to SC's 5 year rule, as that is entirely his own invention.

On 10 February 1912 British surgeon Joseph Lister, 1st Baron Lister, died, aged 84.

356px-Joseph_Lister_1902.jpg

He was a pioneer of antiseptic surgery.

On 10 February 1912 British surgeon Joseph Lister, 1st Baron Lister, died, aged 84.

356px-Joseph_Lister_1902.jpg

He was a a pioneer of antiseptic surgery.

So he became a Death Lister?

• Like 4

Sir C, I had Duke of Aquitaine at 889 years but could be a calendar thing as discussed here times past.

There's no need to pander to SC's 5 year rule, as that is entirely his own invention.

Would you could lay off that, mate. I make no demands you are free to post what you like, including 1 month anniversaries for all I care.

Having no rules means you can post literally every dead person's name every single year. If that's what you want to do, enjoy yourself using your free hand to mouse click. My last words on the matter.

SirC

Would you could lay off that, mate. I make no demands you are free to post what you like, including 1 month anniversaries for all I care.

Having no rules means you can post literally every dead person's name every single year. If that's what you want to do, enjoy yourself using your free hand to mouse click. My last words on the matter.

SirC

Maybe not recently...

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7017&p=234715

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7017&p=226941

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7017&p=225129

<pedantry>

There's no such thing as a 'month anniversary', the word anniversary coming from the Latin annus (year) and vertere (to turn). The words 'mensiversary' (Latin mensis = month) and 'unciaversary' (Latin uncia = twelth part) have been suggested as alternatives. (Source)

</pedantry>

• Like 1

William IX, Duke of Aquitaine has not been mentioned in this thread before this week. I think the one year difference is regarding one source lists him as dying in 1126 and another as in 1127.

Hence, Sir Creep mentioned 890 years ago and Rocky thought it was 889.

The two death dates in full are:

10th February 1126

11th February 1127

• Like 2

40 years ago, actor Lee J. Cobb died at the age of 64

Lee_J._Cobb_1960s.JPG

• Like 1

And 10 years ago today, Peter Benchley died at the age of 65

Peter_Benchley.jpg

And 10 years ago today, Peter Benchley died at the age of 65

Peter_Benchley.jpg

See previous page (I'd hate you to have missed the pun).

• Like 2