themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Joey Styles called it a year and a half previously, during the One Night Stand PPV when he said "Mike Awesome with the suicide dive there. It's a pity he didn't succeed in taking his own life!" Arsehole that Styles is.

• Like 1

Fifty years ago since Winston Churchill died.

And a horse called Winston Churchill wins today's 3.25 at uttoxeter, at 3/1.

200px-Victor_Mar_Manuel.jpg

Black Cat ,A Mexican Wrestler who was an undercard fixture in New Japan Pro Wrestling in the 80s and 90s died at age 51 on this day in 2006 from Heart Failure.

Welsh philosopher/academic Bertrand Russell died on 2nd February 1970.

bertrand_russell.jpg

Or "that cool guy with the pipe who I'm sure would agree with me on everything" as he is known to millions of pretentious, greasy little tweeters/youtubers....

20 years ago since 3-time Wimbledon champion, Fred Perry passed away at the age of 85.
I remember the bank I was working for back in '95 were given tickets to a charity tennis tournament by the company that we ordered stationery from. The guest of honour of at the event was Fred Perry, but once my manager heard that Fred Perry had died, he sent the tickets back.

Fred_Perry_01.jpg

• Like 1

Welsh philosopher/academic Bertrand Russell died on 2nd February 1970.

Or "that cool guy with the pipe who I'm sure would agree with me on everything" as he is known to millions of pretentious, greasy little tweeters/youtubers....

I wonder how many of those read some of his work? As philosophers go, his writing's quite clear. His mathematical work has faded a bit, although his paradox ("Does the set of all sets that don't contain themselves contain itself?") still shines, as does his Why I am not a Christian. I recently reread it, and it found it as good as I remembered.

regards,

Hein

Philip Seymour Hoffman, who starred in films such as The Big Lebowski, died a year ago today aged 46.

Philip-Seymour-Hoffman-3.jpg

40 years ago today. Louis Jordan passed away at the age of 66

louis-jordan_vert-8e75bcf608956a56d22b73

......... and, of course, everyone remembers where they were when Aldous Huxley died.

Who? :P
Author of Brave New World, Crome Yellow, After Many A Summer etc. Rather well known in an Anglo-Californian sort of way.
You'll be delighted to learn that I read some of his books.My point was rather that I was an infant when he died. That, and a joke. Oh well.regards,Hein
Six and a half years later, I will explain Pooka's joke to Magere. :P The passing of Huxley (and that of another famous early British fantasy/SF writer, C. S. Lewis), which would normally have been big news, was completely overshadowed by the fact that JFK was assassinated that same weekend.PS - it was also the weekend that Dr Who debuted on television, so quite a momentous time for SF afficionados.
How should DeathList commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the biggest triple celebrity death weekend of all time?

How sweet that the joke was explained some years later. I hadn't realised that Dr Who started that same weekend. I believe it means that I can recall the events of two consecutive days 50 years ago. I'm unsure why that impresses me.

How sweet that the joke was explained some years later. I hadn't realised that Dr Who started that same weekend. I believe it means that I can recall the events of two consecutive days 50 years ago. I'm unsure why that impresses me.

I can go for the treble, as my granny died that weekend as well. Although I have a clear memory of all three events, it was many years before I realised that they all happened over the same two days. Weird.

• Like 1

Leader of the USSR Yuri Andropov died on Feb. 9 1984 less than 18 months after succeeding Leonid Brezhnev upon his death.

1971-YuriAndropov.jpg

Leader of the USSR Yuri Andropov died on Feb. 9 1984 less than 18 months after succeeding Leonid Brezhnev upon his death.

I remember his death mainly for the flurry of speculation it caused among Kremlin watchers about his succession. The result, even older fossil Chernenko, surprised nearly everyone. I just read Andropov's Wikipedia entry. From that I learned about an episode in Soviet history I never heard about, an assassination attempt on Brezhnev.

regards,

Hein

I remember his death mainly for the flurry of speculation it caused among Kremlin watchers about his succession. The result, even older fossil Chernenko, surprised nearly everyone. I just read Andropov's Wikipedia entry. From that I learned about an episode in Soviet history I never heard about, an assassination attempt on Brezhnev.

regards,

Hein

It's entirely possible that most soviet leaders have had attempts made on their lives, but the news wouldn't have reached the West as that would signify instability within the Kremlin.

It's entirely possible that most soviet leaders have had attempts made on their lives, but the news wouldn't have reached the West as that would signify instability within the Kremlin.

Of course. There was a reason why there were Kremlin watchers at all.

Interestingly, the attacker, Viktor Ilyin (b. Leningrad 1948), is according to this article from 14 May 2014:

[...] still alive today, living in a small flat in his hometown of St. Petersburg. The apartment was provided by the government since Ilyin is considered disabled. He also receives a small pension. His situation today is so normal that it almost defies believability.

DDP material?

regards,

Hein

10 years ago today, Arthur Miller died at the age of 89

Arthur-miller.jpg

10 years ago today, Stan Richards, best known as Emmerdale's Seth Armstrong, died aged 74.

seth.JPG

Shirley Temple died a year ago today; a point made know to me and my DP when one of our newbies tried to finally post before anyone else and was so excited to post her death notice. What a chuckle-butt.

Sir C

Brian Kelly, best known at Porter Ricks on the TV series "Flipper", died 10 years ago today aged 73 due to pneumonia.

6974.jpg

Also, comic actor Sid Caesar died a year ago today at age 91.

nm0128377.jpg

35 years ago, David Janssen died at the age of 48

David_Janssen_Richard_Kimble_1963.JPG

Legendary Liverpool manager Bob Paisley died 19 years ago today aged 76...

Bob%20Paisley.jpg

40 years ago today P.G Wodehouse, famous author of Blandings Castle and mountains of other literature died aged 93

129942703444675000plummain.jpg

40 years ago today P.G Wodehouse, infamous author of Blandings Castle and mountings of other literature died aged 93

Infamous?

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

40 years ago today P.G Wodehouse, infamous author of Blandings Castle and mountings of other literature died aged 93

Infamous?

regards,

Hein

mountings?

Infamous?

regards,

Hein

Infamous?

regards,

Hein

mountings?

To me literature, especially of the accurate variety, has always been a crime.

• Like 1