Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Terry Pratchett

Aye, I'll be watching that documentary. He's still fairly coherent, 2011 at the earliest I'd say.

Didn't bother watching the documentary as my FM2011 game is really heating up.

Anyway, Tezza has received the papers that would that the process of his assisted DEATH.

He's on the cover of New Humanist

1107-01-Cover-Newsstand.jpg

Anyone read it?

Not I.

I did know of the existence of that magazine, though. I've even read an issue. Does that count?

Back to topic: I have a hunch that Sir Terry may take the jump, if you'll excuse my Klatchian, pretty soon. I hope it's wrong.

regards,

Hein

600135_202404359886807_1710376336_n.jpg Edited by Magere Hein
Image replaced by complete one, for clarity.
  • Like 1

Sir Terry feeling pretty optimistic about his 'Alzheimer's' in this interview. http://www.avclub.co...gnosis,88808/2/

Glad to read it. He's off my DDP 2013 shortlist.

regards,

Hein

He was added to my (albeit rather vague) shortlist recently, based on this article, more specifically this paragraph:

Pratchett's assistant of 12 years, Rob Wilkins, also reveals that earlier this month, the author suffered an atrial fibrillation in the back seat of a New York taxi. Were it not for emergency CPR, he would have died.

So, who can tell.

He was added to my (albeit rather vague) shortlist recently, based on this article, more specifically this paragraph:

Pratchett's assistant of 12 years, Rob Wilkins, also reveals that earlier this month, the author suffered an atrial fibrillation in the back seat of a New York taxi. Were it not for emergency CPR, he would have died.

So, who can tell.

Either Pratchett's assistant was misquoted or he's melodramatic. Atrial fibrillation is rarely fatal, and when it is it's because it either causes the heart to throw a clot and cause a stroke or deteriorates to tachycardia. It's also usually secondary to another problem. CPR does not correct atrial fibrillation or tachycardia. If it does not spontaneously convert to normal sinus rhythm, electrical or chemical cardioversion is required.

Guest guest

Pratchett's a poor choice! He's got alzheimers, not cancer! He'll be around for five years at least.

I'd suggest its more based on his historic support of 'right to die' issues and his subscription to 'Dignitas Monthly'.

Incidentally, will he get an unnatural death bonus for booking himself into a clinic? Isn't that a bit like getting executed, except by choice?

Guest cba to login

I'd suggest its more based on his historic support of 'right to die' issues and his subscription to 'Dignitas Monthly'.

Incidentally, will he get an unnatural death bonus for booking himself into a clinic? Isn't that a bit like getting executed, except by choice?

As he hasn't booked himself in yet I'm assuming it's the same as people who are death sentenced after the start of the pool, unnatural bonus points would be given.

I suppose the biggest problem he's got is getting to the clinic, if anyone goes with him they'd be liable for arrest in the uk, I think?

I shouldn't have thought so. The offences against the person act allows for murder/manslaughter committed abroad to be tried in the UK, but unless they took an active part in the proceedings i don't think there would be a legal mechanism by which to arrest them for that.

I can't find anything that says the new Serious Crime Act offence of 'encouraging or assisting' an offender can be applied to offences abroad either, and in any case, the 'offender' would presumably be the doctor, not the patient.

The doctor at the link below has assisted 25 patients through the doors at Dignitas and although it does appear he has been interviewed by the police in relation to it at some point, he was not arrested and has faced no charges.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2333133/Man-83-Briton-Dignitas-assisted-suicide-dementia.html

(Apologies for brain damage caused by reading the Daily Mail but this was one of the few pages NOT warning me to expect to turn up to work on Monday and find that I have been replaced by a Romanian immigrant)

Has his condition got significantly worse recently? Seems a premature listing to me.

Guest guest

From recent interviews he's given every indication he plans to carry on writing and has stuff underway. i can't imagine that would be true if he'd already got his tickets to switzerland.

Terry Pratchett is the only person on the 2014 Deathlist that I have actually met. I went to a couple of signing sessions he did in the late eighties, early nineties he always tried to interact with his fans and was very patient, came across as a nice guy. Most of the Discworld books my wife has are signed but now you can only get signed copies through a particular website.

This is one hit for the list I don't want.

Guest Guest

Terry Pratchett is the only person on the 2014 Deathlist that I have actually met. I went to a couple of signing sessions he did in the late eighties, early nineties he always tried to interact with his fans and was very patient, came across as a nice guy. Most of the Discworld books my wife has are signed but now you can only get signed copies through a particular website.

well the way things are going you're probably going to have many more years to meet them all ..

well the way things are going you're probably going to have many more years to meet them all ..

For a guest post that was quite funny.

If I had to pick one I would want to meet it would be Christopher Lee.

I think he should stay on the list next year as although he probably has a while to live his support of assisted suicide combined with his failing health makes him too big a name to miss!

Am currently re-reading Witches Abroad - forgotton how funny the early discworld books are.