Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Terry Pratchett

Am currently re-reading Witches Abroad - forgotton how funny the early discworld books are.

The early ones are good, I got as far as "Men At Arms" before I gave up on them.

Am currently re-reading Witches Abroad - forgotton how funny the early discworld books are.

The early ones are good, I got as far as "Men At Arms" before I gave up on them.

You may have given in a little early Masquerade is brilliant and Carpe Jugulum is worth mentioning just because if you read it now you would think that it is taking the piss out of Twilight but the fact that this book was written before Twilight was published means that I don't think Stephanie Myers (or her editors) can read a lot of Pratchett.

Where do you recommend starting? I did try The Colour of Magic (is that the first one?) but soon gave up as it didn't grab me. I have heard that this isn't considered to be a good one.

Where do you recommend starting? I did try The Colour of Magic (is that the first one?) but soon gave up as it didn't grab me. I have heard that this isn't considered to be a good one.

A good place to start is Mort (#4) as this doesn't really rely on knowing what happened in the first three. The Colour Of Magic was written a long time before all of the others but The Light Fantastic (#2) is much better but follows directly on. When you get to know the set up it is worth going back and rereading the first three.

Another good start is Wyrd Sisters (#6).

Enjoy

• Like 1

You may have given in a little early Masquerade is brilliant and Carpe Jugulum is worth mentioning just because if you read it now you would think that it is taking the piss out of Twilight but the fact that this book was written before Twilight was published means that I don't think Stephanie Myers (or her editors) can read a lot of Pratchett.

I haven't bothered to read any Pratchett for ages, around about the same time that I gave up on Pratchett was when I started to get in to Robert Rankin, and Christopher Moore.

Aha!

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”

'You're Hell's Angels, then? What chapter are you from?'

'REVELATIONS. CHAPTER SIX.”

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

I haven't bothered to read any Pratchett for ages, around about the same time that I gave up on Pratchett was when I started to get in to Robert Rankin, and Christopher Moore.

I tried Rankin and started with The Brentford Triangle. I struggled to the end and didn't read any more but sold the trilogy for a tidy sum on ebay.

I tried Rankin and started with The Brentford Triangle. I struggled to the end and didn't read any more but sold the trilogy for a tidy sum on ebay.

Rankin is one hell of a live performer and his books make more sense in the wake of seeing a gig.

He once told a fantastic joke about Pratchett when I saw him live. The gist of the lengthy gag was that he (Rankin) had invented a sex camera that took a photograph of a man's loved one and was triggered by having a wire round the man's manhood and going off when the man shot a goodly load. Rankin claimed to have lent the camera to Pratchett and noticed camera flashes going off in Pratchett's room. Later be broke into Pratchett's room, retrieved the camera and inspected the pictures to see what had driven Pratchett into an orgasmic frenzy...only to find lots of pictures of a royalty cheque.

TP (I prefer to know him by his initials) is my mothers' favourite (living) author*, so I strongly agree with his choice as a candidate, and in the interests of taste he should be kept on the list until he finally jets off to Discworld. Actually now I think of it, I think she met him at a fan convention once so it's highly possible he broke into some Swiss research lab at night and deliberately injected himself with Alzheimers so he could forget about it.

*Before that it was Tony Benn (score!).

Terry Pratchett is the only person on the 2014 Deathlist that I have actually met. I went to a couple of signing sessions he did in the late eighties, early nineties he always tried to interact with his fans and was very patient, came across as a nice guy. Most of the Discworld books my wife has are signed but now you can only get signed copies through a particular website.

This is one hit for the list I don't want.

well the way things are going you're probably going to have many more years to meet them all ..

For a guest post that was quite funny.

If I had to pick one I would want to meet it would be Christopher Lee.

This could be a good thread all of its own. Out of this year's lot, I wouldn't mind meeting ol' Charlie Aznavour.

I have met Terry. He was an arse.

Of all this years list, I'd most like to meet PD James. Not read her books, but meeting a ghost would be cool.

• Like 1

Twitter is reporting him DEAD.

I am in shock.

I have met him and read almost all his books.

RIP Terry

Twitter is reporting him DEAD.

I am in shock.

I have met him and read almost all his books.

RIP Terry

Telegraph are reporting it too

I like his style...B_6CbVvUYAE6i7K.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if he killed himself ? But I suppose it would of been reported somewhere if he booked a flight to Switzerland .

I wonder if he killed himself ? But I suppose it would of been reported somewhere if he booked a flight to Switzerland .

Not according to the BBC

The author died at home, surrounded by his family.

Guest Guest

I like his style...B_6CbVvUYAE6i7K.jpg

He tweeted his own death? That must be a first surely ! :shock2:

Not according to the BBC

Perhaps he moved to Switzerland ;)

Not according to the BBC

Perhaps he moved to Switzerland ;)

He might of done a Tony nicklinson .