The Miser

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

I figure that her pancreatic cancer will be a close call between 2009 and 2010. I say she makes it so....

I figure that her pancreatic cancer will be a close call between 2009 and 2010. I say she makes it so....

I figure I'd add Senator Bunning (great Phillies hall of fame baseball pitcher) prognosis which is probably correct:

The Louisville Courier Journal quoted Bunning at a political fundraiser Saturday night telling about 100 people that Ginsburg had "bad cancer. The kind that you don't get better from."

"Even though she was operated on, usually, nine months is the longest that anybody would live after (being diagnosed) with pancreatic cancer," the paper quoted Bunning as saying at a Hardin County Republican gathering .

I figure I'd add Senator Bunning (great Phillies hall of fame baseball pitcher) prognosis which is probably correct:

The Louisville Courier Journal quoted Bunning at a political fundraiser Saturday night telling about 100 people that Ginsburg had "bad cancer. The kind that you don't get better from."

"Even though she was operated on, usually, nine months is the longest that anybody would live after (being diagnosed) with pancreatic cancer," the paper quoted Bunning as saying at a Hardin County Republican gathering .

So how many months does Patrick Swayze have left? -3?

I'd like to reiterate what I've posted before:

The factors for prognosis are much more complicated than simply what organ the cancer is in. The main reason why people associate pancreatic cancer with imminent death is the relative "obscurity" of the pancreas as an organ; due to its location, the cancer often isn't detected until it's already progressed to a large size (by the same token, pancreatic cancer is also commonly a secondary cancer, meaning that the cancer is already ravaging another part of the body).

Ginsburg's tumor was reportedly 1 cm in diameter, which is quite small. It's been over a month since her surgery and there hasn't been any talk of cancer being detected elsewhere in her body. By the sounds of things, they aren't subjecting her to any of exhaustive treatments such as chemo or radiation therapy. Other than having a "history of cancer," there's no real reason to assume she's more likely to die than any other 75 year-old in a high-stress job.

Seeing as pancreatic cancer seems to be everyone's favourite cancer perhaps this thread could become the pancreatic thread. In here DDT could share his medical expertise on the various forms it takes. He seems an extremely sage farmer. I think he also has an in depth knowledge of pharmaceuticals.

Apparently squid have pancreases (pancreata?) too.

Seeing as pancreatic cancer seems to be everyone's favourite cancer perhaps this thread could become the pancreatic thread. In here DDT could share his medical expertise on the various forms it takes. He seems an extremely sage farmer. I think he also has an in depth knowledge of pharmaceuticals.

Apparently squid have pancreases (pancreata?) too.

Pancreii?

Supreme Court Justice Ginsburgh was diagnosed with the most common manifestation of the disease. Most of the time, pancreatic cancer patients are dead in about 6 - 8 months. In this situation, there isn't any evidence supporting the fact that slim gin is still inflicted with the disease.

The probability of survival can be estimated upon the detection of the illness. Sometimes they manage to beat the odds if the cancer is detected at an early stage. In the end, time is our friend.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg has hinted that there may be a soon be a vacant position for the Supreme Court. However it is not clear if her comments alluded to her own recent health problems, or if she was suggesting that she might be losing one of her colleagues.

Feeling ill and went to the hospital tonight...we will see

With Neil Gorsuch likely to be confirmed to the Supreme Court one way or another in the next few days, it got me thinking about the next vacancy.

This article claims Anthony Kennedy (80) might retire - would be replaced by a Trump/Pence Conservative.

What are the odds on Ruth Bader Ginsberg (84) surviving a 4 year Trump (and/or) Pence administration? Not likely, in my opinion. 

And what if Stephen Breyer (78) was to have some kind of medical emergency? The Court would end up ultra-conservative for good or ill.

Either way, Kennedy and RBG seem like goners within the next 4 years. 

• Like 1

Bader Ginsburg looks like death and has done for a few years now.She has had bowel and pancreatic cancer in the past and has had heart surgery.She claims to work out every day but she looks like she couldn`t lift a bag of compost for 5 seconds.

• Like 1

Now that it has been announced that supreme justice Anthony Kennedy is retiring I hope to God for the sake of Americas future that Ruth has what it takes to hold on in there for a good few years yet! :o

14 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Now that it has been announced that supreme justice Anthony Kennedy is retiring I hope to God for the sake of Americas future that Ruth has what it takes to hold on in there for a good few years yet! :o

Stephen Breyer is 80 in a few weeks and on the liberal side.

• Like 1

Just now, Sean said:

Stephen Breyer is 80 in a few weeks and on the liberal side.

Arrgh Stop it!!!! I just hope he's in fine fettle and happy to carry on serving. 

Is there a general thread by the way for US supreme Court justices in addition to this one for this rather unique lady. 

Bader Ginsburg is likely to serve until she physically or mentally can't.She will be nearly 88 come next election and if Trump gets a second term she would have to serve until nearly 92.

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Arrgh Stop it!!!! I just hope he's in fine fettle and happy to carry on serving. 

Is there a general thread by the way for US supreme Court justices in addition to this one for this rather unique lady. 

Don't think so.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Bader Ginsburg is likely to serve until she physically or mentally can't.She will be nearly 88 come next election and if Trump gets a second term she would have to serve until nearly 92.

If anyone can do it she can but admittely it's a big ask. I think the oldest supreme justice served to around 90 I think? 

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

If anyone can do it she can but admitely it's a big ask. I think the oldest supreme justice served to around 90 I think? 

That would be John Paul Stevens, who's currently 98. He retired in 2010, only a short time after he turned 90.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had to do a double take.....honestly thought someone had set up a thread for Ruth Badger!!