The Miser

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Mitch McConnell just confirmed that he will not respect RBG's wishes and the Senate will vote to confirm her replacement before the new senate takes over in January,so confirming that the Supreme Court will have a 6-3 conservative majority.. This will outrage democrats, but what did they expect? It was bound to happen.McConnell has all the principles of a snake ! 

On 11/03/2009 at 23:11, The Miser said:

I figure I'd add Senator Bunning (great Phillies hall of fame baseball pitcher) prognosis which is probably correct:

The Louisville Courier Journal quoted Bunning at a political fundraiser Saturday night telling about 100 people that Ginsburg had "bad cancer. The kind that you don't get better from."

"Even though she was operated on, usually, nine months is the longest that anybody would live after (being diagnosed) with pancreatic cancer," the paper quoted Bunning as saying at a Hardin County Republican gathering .

I would like to say that not only was senator Jim Bunning dead wrong on his prognosis of RBG, but she also ended up outliving him by about 3 years or so. 

• Like 1

I knew she was fragile but her death is a hard pill to swallow. No doubt the Republicanns want to take advantage and replace her with a GOP stooge. Ignoring their own rule of not giving a lame duck president that honor as their did to Obama when Scalia died. She couldn't hold on to four more months and that's the sad part.

And indeed it is starting already.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/gop-senator-blasted-after-immediately-calling-for-vote-on-rbg-replacement-only-a-ghoul-would-tweet-somethi

My first thoughts:  Trump vs. Biden with a deadlocked Supreme Court, and millions of mail-in ballots hanging in the balance :huh:

Rest in peace and may god help the USA!

• Like 2

Oh, terrible news on this morning... :(

That was a quick 14th hit.

R.I.P. to Ruth Bader Ginsburg

We've got no Ruth!

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Whilst you make a fair point and arguably  both are guilty of  some crassness  I do not believe  his tweet was a reaction to her deathbed wish. They were always going to do this. I  also think the statement you only get what you give in life  is absolutely total  illogical nonsense. 

Lots of lovely decent people in life have awful things visited upon them that they did  not and do not deserve and did nothing or gave nothing  to initiate a reaction for.

She was a "lovely decent" person? Where is your evidence for this? Did you know her personally?

People need to get this notion of all Republicans = bad/evil, all Democrats = good/angelic out of their mind. It's spewed all over social media by younger people and it's a bias which seeps into a lot of media both in the States and in Britain.

The bottom line is politics is a nasty game in this day and age. There are cranks, morons and reprobates on all ends of the political spectrum. RBG deliberately kept herself in a role which she was unable to perform the duties for because of serious health problems in order to spite the opposition. In interviews she made it absolutely clear that she loathed Trump and that she was staying to antagonise him and his supporters. Those are not the actions of a "lovely decent person". It's an egocentric game, with two opposing sides of nuts all at each other's throats and I don't think any of it is commendable.

Rant over.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Opposition for the sake of opposition and self-proclaimed immortality, which led her to remain there despite the clear fact she was dying. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, drol said:

Opposition for the sake of opposition and self-proclaimed immortality, which led her to remain there despite the clear fact she was dying. 

Actually, she remained there because she wanted to kill as many babies as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

As things stand conservatives have a 5-3 majority (if you count Roberts) so perhaps the GOP can afford to wait until after the election if necessary.

9 minutes ago, dodrade said:

As things stand conservatives have a 5-3 majority (if you count Roberts) so perhaps the GOP can afford to wait until after the election if necessary.

Well its not like any of Trump's supreme court justices have really taken his side in the past anyway... From a political perspective, I dont think much will change in the upcoming weeks - just a matter of watching the snowflakes melt at the news of their old establishment fossil popping her clogs.

33 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Heading ideas for the front page?

"The Notorious R.I.P."

Oi, stop giving them my (blatantly obvious) DDP headlines away, ta. :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

She was a "lovely decent" person? Where is your evidence for this? Did you know her personally?

People need to get this notion of all Republicans = bad/evil, all Democrats = good/angelic out of their mind. It's spewed all over social media by younger people and it's a bias which seeps into a lot of media both in the States and in Britain.

The bottom line is politics is a nasty game in this day and age. There are cranks, morons and reprobates on all ends of the political spectrum. RBG deliberately kept herself in a role which she was unable to perform the duties for because of serious health problems in order to spite the opposition. In interviews she made it absolutely clear that she loathed Trump and that she was staying to antagonise him and his supporters. Those are not the actions of a "lovely decent person". It's an egocentric game, with two opposing sides of nuts all at each other's throats and I don't think any of it is commendable.

Rant over.

I never said she was a lovely decent  person .I was making a general point   ,not the political  point ,that the statement you only  get what you give in life is nonsense. 

My point was not party political or political in any sense but general. 

Eg If the lady in the next street to me was raped by a burglar would that mean she was only getting what she gives? If an elderly  man was murdered  by a psychopathic stranger would that mean he was only getting what hed given? Etc etc

You have completely  misunderstood and misread my post my statement about lovely  decent  people is in relation to that philosophical  point  not politics.

Your rant whilst interesting was unnecessary especially as I don't hold the caricature  opinions about people and their politics/political preferences  that you described and I am fairly well up  on much of the ins and outs of American politics .

So there are no notions that I need to get over  .You have simply  misfired !! My varied political views on all kinds of things  including social issues means I cannot neatly be categorized as either liberal or conservative. 

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

What are you basing this statement on? The Supreme Court last sat in June. She wrote her last dissenting opinion in July. She's been active in court proceedings throughout the past 10 years, bouts of ill health or not, what duties was she unable to perform that should be expected of her?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

What are you basing this statement on? The Supreme Court last sat in June. She wrote her last dissenting opinion in July. She's been active in court proceedings throughout the past 10 years, bouts of ill health or not, what duties was she unable to perform that should be expected of her?

Not falling asleep in court for one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

For a start, she'd been in and out of work sick like a yoyo. The time for her to step down was in Obama's first term when she initially fell very ill. Liberals absolutely treasure her, and yet if it hadn't been for her own stubbornness, there wouldn't be a "crisis" on their hands right now in the face of a conservative balanced Supreme Court taking centre stage for the next two decades. That irony seems to be lost on many of her fans...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

My first thoughts:  Trump vs. Biden with a deadlocked Supreme Court, and millions of mail-in ballots hanging in the balance :huh:

Rest in peace and may god help the USA!

Democracy itself is at stake in the weeks ahead in the USA .Let's just hope in the Trump v Democracy fight the latter wins. or the whole world is f***ed!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ruth Bader Ginsburg always reminded me of my Aunt Pam.

• Like 1

Trump announces he will pick a woman to replace Ginsburg on the Supreme Court.

Looks like that $130,000 investment is being called in and welcome one and all Justice Stormy Daniels!