maryportfuncity

Where Will The Next School Massacre Be?

Call the country  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As my first choice, Iraq, isn't on the list, I'll go for Canada. How many do there have to be for it to qualify for massacre status? Four or more?

D'ya know what, I haven't a f*****g clue when 'murder' crosses the line to 'massacre,' I suppose someone could carry out an experiment.............

Or we could agree anything over 5 deaths.

• Like 1

As my first choice, Iraq, isn't on the list, I'll go for Canada. How many do there have to be for it to qualify for massacre status? Four or more?

D'ya know what, I haven't a f*****g clue when 'murder' crosses the line to 'massacre,' I suppose someone could carry out an experiment.............

I suppose the proof will be in the newspaper headlines themselves if e.g. only four or five people die in the next school shooting. I'd say double figures is definitely a massacre, four or five may be a bit low. The winner of the contest has to find a credible publication using the word.

And the US is the low hanging fruit on this one, given they have about one a month. Hard to believe, what with there being nearly as many guns as humans in the country.

Vatican City, and it will form an integral part of the plot for Godfather 4.

Wait, is there actually a school in Vatican City?

Is it just school shootings or any shooting massacre that counts?

PS - I still think it'll be on a small island somewhere.

Edit - Just read back on this and realised how sinister it sounds. I have no plans to go on a shooting spree any time soon.

What no Finland?!

Fair point MIB, I got a bit frustrated last night having messed up on the poll a couple of times because I was trying to put it together, hold a phone conversation and get the lot done before Red Riding started. Finland was deffo in an earlier poll and it's a sorry omission of an outsider with a sporting chance. The Vatican was obviously for comic value, be a right turn up if they won.

Re the numbers, totally agree with the earlier post that the headline is the decider. There are cases where single figures have been thus counted, but mebbe double figures is a better cut off point.

Is it just school shootings or any shooting massacre that counts?

PS - I still think it'll be on a small island somewhere.

Edit - Just read back on this and realised how sinister it sounds. I have no plans to go on a shooting spree any time soon.

Glad to hear it young lady. Re the limitations....let's be honest, I didn't think this thread through too well did I?

I guess we'd have to include colleges of further education and sixth form colleges, cos their age range overlaps with schools. Most of the countries on the list have their own versions of the above. Sunday schools don't count cos people learn nowt much so the 'school' bit is over-rated and universities are out too, because everyone in those places acts a little strange so a shooting is just another take on - like - being radical, or summat.

It's not something I would want to participate in mpfc, from where I lived at the time Dunblane was only roughly 30 miles away and the horror and shockwaves from that reverberated through all of us, still do, I will never forget walking through the reception area of my work just after it happened, the morning receptionist took a phone call from the lady that manned reception in the afternoon, she waved a hand at me to tell me to wait, I did, her phone call ended and she put the phone down and told me 'someone has gone mad with a gun in Dunblane at a primary school', we thought at that point it must be wrong, but as the day progressed we found out it was true. Early evening newspapers were reporting 6 kids dead and one teacher, then we all got home and saw the true figures of the atrocity, maybe you should read the reports on what the parents have said about being kept in the dark for hours not knowing if their child was alive or dead, Dunblane was handled badly by the police because they had no experience of what to do in this sort of situation, a small town with a small police force, understandable, but if it happened in Maryport, that could be you too.........

Just realised it was 13 years ago yesterday, 13 March 1996 R.I.P.

Edited by Lady Grendel

Although I think that CP's statement that "the American schools these days are structured around a system that all but breeds the shooty types" is a bit overstated, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened down the street from me.

USA. safe bet.

guns are given to you in 3rd grade with your math book.

It's not something I would want to participate in mpfc, from where I lived at the time Dunblane was only roughly 30 miles away and the horror and shockwaves from that reverberated through all of us, still do, I will never forget walking through the reception area of my work just after it happened, the morning receptionist took a phone call from the lady that manned reception in the afternoon, she waved a hand at me to tell me to wait, I did, her phone call ended and she put the phone down and told me 'someone has gone mad with a gun in Dunblane at a primary school', we thought at that point it must be wrong, but as the day progressed we found out it was true. Early evening newspapers were reporting 6 kids dead and one teacher, then we all got home and saw the true figures of the atrocity, maybe you should read the reports on what the parents have said about being kept in the dark for hours not knowing if their child was alive or dead, Dunblane was handled badly by the police because they had no experience of what to do in this sort of situation, a small town with a small police force, understandable, but if it happened in Maryport, that could be you too.........

i wonder how close you have to be to a gunshot to hear it? 1 mile? less?

also, if you fire a gun, how long does the bullet go for before it slows down, or gravity takes it to the ground?

also if you fire a bullet directly up in the air, how high would it go? and then if it landed back on your head, would it kill you?

i'll let you think about that before someone clever comes up with all the answers. damn i've missed this site. x.

guns are given to you in 3rd grade with your math book.

Oh good god.

i wonder how close you have to be to a gunshot to hear it? 1 mile? less?

also, if you fire a gun, how long does the bullet go for before it slows down, or gravity takes it to the ground?

also if you fire a bullet directly up in the air, how high would it go? and then if it landed back on your head, would it kill you?

i'll let you think about that before someone clever comes up with all the answers. damn i've missed this site. x.

There are no set answers to your questions, RM. For question number one, different guns, calibers and loads make different amounts of noise. Also different terrain and atmospheric conditions would play a large part in the acoustics of any auditory situation. For question number two, different shells travel very variable distances. For example, a 30-30 shell has much less gunpowder than a 30-06, so although they are the same caliber, a 30-06 travels a much greater distance, probably well over a mile in most conditions. A bullet fired straight into the sky would speed up according to the laws of physics governing the rate of acceleration from its highest point to the ground and could conceivably kill a person if struck, depending on how high it got, how fast it was able to accelerate, the mass of the projectile, where it struck the unfortunate individual (talk about bad luck!) and how tough that individual is/was. By the way, we don't get issued guns in the third grade. It's in the fifth. :unsure:

Nice reply deadsox, from someone who seems to know what they're talking about. i figured different guns would fire further (or higher) etc.. lets say how far is it possible to fire a bullet then? i'm the annoying person thats asks dumb questions aren't it. ha.

Nice reply deadsox, from someone who seems to know what they're talking about. i figured different guns would fire further (or higher) etc.. lets say how far is it possible to fire a bullet then? i'm the annoying person thats asks dumb questions aren't it. ha.

Your questions are neither dumb nor annoying. I didn't know much of anything about this stuff until I took up hunting around ten years ago and I'm still not nearly as knowledgeable as the real experts. The typical long range calibers and loads that someone like me would use (.270, 30-06) could travel over two miles. That could extend further by using a high trajectory. There are some specialized shells that use small projectiles and lots of gunpowder (.220 e.g.) could probably go over 4 miles. God only knows what the military may have for sniper shells.

Saddam's supergun was aiming to lob shells from Iraq to Israel. Whilst a few people questioned how effective it would be there wasn't that much serious questioning of whether such distances were possible.

As I recall. there were a few unfortunates killed by bullets falling back down to earth a while back during a New Year celebration somewhere lawless where all and sundry have access to guns. Tottenham maybe?

DENMARK.....Always a quiet place, needs summat like a massacre to get em in the news LOL...

Does a nursery shooting in France count?

Link.

Tokyo. Mad Japs. I love 'em.

The Japs would turn it into a game show

Does a nursery shooting in France count?

Link.

May I refer you to the official DL massacre rules as drawn out by CR and MPFC

I suppose the proof will be in the newspaper headlines themselves if e.g. only four or five people die in the next school shooting. I'd say double figures is definitely a massacre, four or five may be a bit low. The winner of the contest has to find a credible publication using the word.

And the US is the low hanging fruit on this one, given they have about one a month. Hard to believe, what with there being nearly as many guns as humans in the country.

France, nah, even the report admits this is a mere 'shooting.'

8 'wounded' and the sorry loner outside the nursery was packing only an 'airgun.' Pardon the pun but.....kid's stuff.

Just read on ITV teletext that 2 people are arrested, for plotting to blow up a school and or shopping centre in Tameside, Gtr Manchester, on anniversary of Columbine massacre...

Anyone who picked the UK came very close I think...

Good job they caught them though...

• Like 1