Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

John David Molson was once the president and owner of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team.

He was at the helm during the team's heyday. The Habs won five Stanley Cup titles during Molson's time as president, from 1964 to 1972.

"We regret to announce the passing of former Canadiens president and owner John David Molson at age 88. Our condolences to the Molson family," the Montreal Canadiens tweeted Monday afternoon.

Of course he's part of the Molson Brewery clan....in case that fact wasn't apparent.
SC

• Like 1

Russian ice hockey player Alexander Bodunov has died on May 11th. He played for the Soviet team during the 1972 Summit Series against Canada. His career lasted from 1969 to 1982. He was also a world champion in 1973. He was 61 at the time of death.

A article in Russian: http://www.fhr.ru/main/ofnews/card/?id_4=13621

some stats in English: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=50766

On Monday the Blackhawks confirmed the death of Bill White at the age of 77, a former player who even had brief stint as the team’s head coach.

White played for the team from 1969-1976 and helped them to a pair of appearances in the Stanley Cup Final. He appeared in six-straight All-Star Games from his first year in 1969 through the 1974 mid-season classic. During his seasons in Chicago, the defenseman scored 30 goals and dished out 139 assists.

In the 1976-1977 season, White served as the interim head coach of the Blackhawks for 46 games following the firing of longtime coach Billy Reay. He would lead the team to the playoffs before losing in the first round to the New York Islanders.

SC

Member of the US Olympic silver medal team of 1956, Gordon Christian, has died aged 89. His brothers Bill and Roger were gold medallists in 1960, and his nephew Dave was part of the 1980 'Miracle on Ice' gold medalling team.

Dave Semenko, two-time Stanley Cup Champion with the Edmonton Oilers in the 80s who was best known for being Wayne Gretzky's on ice "bodyguard," has died of cancer at age 59.

Semenko scored the last goal in WHL history, and was (from what I can find) the last person Muhammed Ali ever fought, during an exhibition match on June 12, 1983. At that point, Ali had been retired as a professional for about 2 years.

• Like 1

Eddie Olczyk, former player, most notably for the Chicago Blackhawks as well as former head coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins, has been diagnosed with colon cancer.

Reading between the lines, it seems to have been caught early, and non-metastasised colon cancer has a very good chance of recovery, but just in case I'm reading things wrong, I'm putting it in here! He might just turn out to be a good risk to take for some of the DPs which allow US obits (or, if DDP rules change next year, DDP and other similarly ruled DPs as well).

7 hours ago, RishCast said:

Eddie Olczyk, former player, most notably for the Chicago Blackhawks as well as former head coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins, has been diagnosed with colon cancer.

Reading between the lines, it seems to have been caught early, and non-metastasised colon cancer has a very good chance of recovery, but just in case I'm reading things wrong, I'm putting it in here! He might just turn out to be a good risk to take for some of the DPs which allow US obits (or, if DDP rules change next year, DDP and other similarly ruled DPs as well).

You could team up Olczyk, Stan Mikita, and Bobby Hull (78 yrs old, which is ancient in hockey terms) and have an all-Blackhawks front line on your DDP team 2018.

SC

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 19:07, gcreptile said:

Canadian Ice Hockey Legends Bryan Murray and Charlie Henry talking about their cancers just before their entrance into the Ottawa Hall of Fame:

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/ottawa-sports-hall-beckons-for-murray-and-henry

Charlie Henry has pancreatic cancer by the way, but he's apparently not very well known outside of Canada.

Bryan Murray dead: https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/former-senators-general-manager-bryan-murray-passes-away-at-age-74/c-290654492

I believe that leaves Thomas Jefferson Survives 2015 team to 3 survivors, Beitzel, Odjick, and Qaboos of Oman.

Between him and Zorreguieta, tough time to be a 2015 top-team pick that fell by the competitive wayside afterwards.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Of course Sir Creep left him off all his teams this year after him clogging up valuable space the previous two.

RIP coach
SC

The names are piling up this August,nowhere near as many big names as last year but 2017 might match last years DDP hit total.

11 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

The names are piling up this August,nowhere near as many big names as last year but 2017 might match last years DDP hit total.

I feel like 2017 is a creeper. Instead of the deaths happening in waves at certain points of the year, it instead slowly comes and bites you as the year goes by...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

I feel like 2017 is a creeper. Instead of the deaths happening in waves at certain points of the year, it instead slowly comes and bites you as the year goes by...

Bit like 2013, then. It felt quiet next to 2012 (which was carnage), but it was a bonanza on the DDP, and if you actually look at the big names that went that year (Mandela, Thatcher, Winner, Chavez, Bearer, Briers and Griffiths, Ebert, Harryhausen, Jack Vance and Iain Banks and Matheson, Gandolfini, Heaney and Frost and Mel Smith, Tom Clancy, Ken Norton, Doris Lessing, Peter O'Toole and Lou fucking Reed, to give a few)... well, it were a creeper, I guess.

35 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Even though the pace has really picked up since late July, I don't think it's possible to tie 2016 anymore. It was too quiet from mid-April to mid-July.

24 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

It depends.

When it comes to the rate of DDP hits, the year looks like a U-shape so far. January and February 2017 had more DDP hits than January and February 2016! March slowed down a bit, and then April thru July, there were about 16 hits per month. But things picked up again late July, and 12 hits 12 days into August makes it seem like this will be a very promising month.

When it comes to very famous people dying, it's been relatively spread out. Each month of the year had a couple of "trending for hours on Twitter" deaths.

12 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

I don't think it's possible to tie 2017 anymore.

That's a pretty big prediction for 2018 considering it's only 2017...

• Like 1

Missed some time back, but David Creighton, who played for the Bruins, Maple Leafs, Black Hawks (which is how it was spelled then!) and Rangers over a period from 1948-1960, as well as several seasons in the AHL, before retiring in 1969 and coaching for one season, died on August 18th. His son, Adam, also played in the NHL for a bunch of teams. 

Noel Picard, a Canadian Ice Hockey defenceman who played for the Montréal Canadiens (1964-1965), St. Louis Blues (1967-1973) and the Atlanta Flames (1973), has died aged 78. He notably tripped Bobby Orr at the 1970 Stanley Cup, resulting in this iconic image:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.f348663daf01e1754c923719c57ecf17.jpg

• Like 3

Pierre Pilote, Canadian ice hockey defenceman who played for the Chicago Black Hawks (1955-1968) and the Toronto Maple Leafs (1968-1969), has died aged 85. He won the Stanley Cup with the Chicago Black Hawks in 1961 and was inducted into the Ice Hockey Hall of Fame in 1975.

Jeff Parker, an American ice hockey player who played for the Buffalo Sabres (1986-1990) and the Hartford Whalers (1990-1991), has died aged 53. His brain is being donated to CTE studies to try and prevent brain damage in other sportsmen. 

Edit: Daily Mail obituary.

On 8/9/2017 at 00:38, RishCast said:

Returns to broadcast booth to do a couple games.  Still undergoing C treatment

On 11/3/2017 at 12:25, RishCast said:

Retired ref Kerry Fraser has incurable blood cancer, though if caught early enough, he should be fine for a couple years. Will found out if it was caught early enough in a couple of days: https://www.nhl.com/news/kerry-fraser-story-on-cancer-fight-diagnosis/c-292541764

I know fans will say silly things sometimes about an official, but it was a fact that Fraser absolutely hated the Detroit Red Wings, and made horrific calls against them at every opportunity.   He should have known the Reaper was a Red Wings fan.

SC

• Like 1