Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Bill Dineen, who had the distinction of being Eric Lindros’ first NHL coach, died early Saturday morning at his home in Lake George, New York. He was 84.
Dineen won two WHA titles coaching the Aeros and two Stanley Cups as a player with the Red Wings. A member of the AHL Hall of Fame, Dineen also coached the Adirondack Red Wings from 1983 through 1988-89.
SC

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Teemu Selänne's mum has died tragically at the young age of 81. Sad news!

Ray Emery, a goalie who played 287 games in the NHL and was the co-winner of the 2012-13 William Jennings trophy for fewest goals against by a team, has died.  He was 35.  Emery reportedly drowned in Hamilton, Ontario while swimming with friends. 

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/being-reported-that-ray-emery-drowned-this-morning-in-hamilton-harbour.2518043/

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/former-goalie-ray-emery-dies-drowning-blackhawks-flyers-ducks-senators-nhl-news/1gawjmss3j68o1hinzol4hsgpv

Image result for ray emery hockey card

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Ray Emery, a goalie who played 287 games in the NHL and was the co-winner of the 2012-13 William Jennings trophy for fewest goals against by a team, has died.  He was 35.  Emery reportedly drowned in Hamilton, Ontario while swimming with friends. 

He was all right on frozen water.

• Like 2

Vaclav Burda, who played pro hockey in Europe for a decade before becoming an Ottawa Senators scout and later their Director of European Scouting, a position he held with the Edmonton Oilers at the time of his death, has died.  He was 45.

https://sport.lidovky.cz/bronzovy-medailista-z-roku-1998-zemrel-byvaly-obrance-sparty-autem-celne-narazil-do-nakladaku-g9v-/ostatni-sporty.aspx?c=A180717_141716_ln-sport-ostatni_lar

(Czech language site)

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-chief-euro-scout-vaclav-burda-has-died-in-car-crash-reports-complete-hockey

On 10/11/2017 at 18:54, gcreptile said:

Eddie Olczyk "has to deal with cancer (stage III colon cancer) for the rest of his life":

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-spt-blackhawks-eddie-olczyk-cancer-20171110-story.html

....but cancer-free since March:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-on-nbc-broadcaster-eddie-olczyk-has-a-lot-to-celebrate/c-299664922

14 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Stan Mikita, Slovak-born Canadian player who played for the Chicago Black Hawks (1958-1980), has died aged 78.

Surprisingly not a DDP pick this year. 

A Mikita we will never know.....

(For those in doubt, see Elton John's back catalogue).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Surprisingly not a DDP pick this year. 

But a 'List of the Missed' pick, as he had been chosen in 2016, the year after it was announced he was suffering from dementia. As such, I'd picked him for the Alt Obituaries deadpool that year, dropped him in 2017, but never did add him back.

51 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Stan Mikita, Slovak-born Canadian player who played for the Chicago Black Hawks (1958-1980), has died aged 78.

Edit: Daily Mail obituary. 

black hawk down!

sad to see him go, but then again that makes two hits in three days for me

Yeah, my B-team picked him...just last week I wanted to update my personal survivors list after I found out about the death of cancer mum Leanne Hock, but it turns out she was the only one. Then I wondered if anyone ever dies from Lewy- Body dementia, specifically with Mikita in mind. Robin Williams also had it, but you know how that went.

19 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, my B-team picked him...just last week I wanted to update my personal survivors list after I found out about the death of cancer mum Leanne Hock, but it turns out she was the only one. Then I wondered if anyone ever dies from Lewy- Body dementia, specifically with Mikita in mind. Robin Williams also had it, but you know how that went.

Didn’t Casey Kasem have it?

• Like 1

Wikipedia says yes.

Edit: Though he died at age 80+, so not an early death. I mean, from a deadpooling perspective, lewy-body dementia doesn't warrant special research, like diabetes when it's the only affliction.

IIRC Estelle Getty and Dina Merrill were also sufferers of Lewy Body dementia (along with both dying of the disease's full progression, as I think Kasem would've lingered a bit longer were it not for those crazy Scooby Doo-esque final weeks).

• Like 1

Actually, had I seen this update before today, he (Mikita) would’ve been on my shortlist. 

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Edit: Though he died at age 80+, so not an early death. I mean, from a deadpooling perspective, lewy-body dementia doesn't warrant special research, like diabetes when it's the only affliction.

I think that's part the course with dementia type diseases, sufferers tend to veer on the older side. Just that due to it being rarer than, say, Alzheimer's, the reference pool for Lewy body dementia is much smaller.

I mean, deadpoolers pay closer attention to ALS largely because a good deal of its high-profile sufferers are young athletes.

Stan Mikita was a fantastic hockey player in his day.  RIP

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Actually, had I seen this update before today, he (Mikita) would’ve been on my shortlist. 

For a good 18 months now, his daughter has continuously stated that his mind was gone but his body remained very strong (and presumably normal) and that his medications were few if any.  For that reason I kept away despite having him on my team in 2016.

SC

If he was only diagnosed with it in 2015/2016, it is unlikely he died from it.  Something else got him first, like heart or cancer or any of the things that afflict us.  Death from dementia (all forms) is slow and lingering over a decade or more, and the final nail comes when you can no longer even swallow safely.  It is a blessing to have a heart attack or die from a fall, at least in my mind.

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

If he was only diagnosed with it in 2015/2016, it is unlikely he died from it.  Something else got him first, like heart or cancer or any of the things that afflict us.  Death from dementia (all forms) is slow and lingering over a decade or more, and the final nail comes when you can no longer even swallow safely.  It is a blessing to have a heart attack or die from a fall, at least in my mind.

so how long do you figure before Henri Richard rockets off this mortal plain? what with his Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2015 and all.

58 minutes ago, wildstorm said:

so how long do you figure before Henri Richard rockets off this mortal plain? what with his Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2015 and all.

I looked up some news about the pocket rocket, and the first mention of his dementia in the media seems to be 2015, but given the major decline in memory soon after that, I'd say his diagnosis was likely some time before that. Many people don't disclose the diagnosis until they can no longer hide it, which can be a few years after diagnosis.  A guess, if the dementia gets him, could be a few more years.  But many people die of other things first, especially since many treatable diseases aren't treated in later stages of dementia.  So sometime between tonight and 2022.  

You can probably guess I avoid dementia patients in my dead pools.