Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

Finnish hockey legend Lauri Mononen dead at 68. As good as top Soviet strikers in 1972. His nickname was "Jaws", I can't understand why.

075_mononen.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bladan said:

Finnish hockey legend Lauri Mononen dead at 68. As good as top Soviet strikers in 1972. His nickname was "Jaws", I can't understand why.

075_mononen.jpg

Jaws is dead?

Ab McDonald, whose 15 year NHL career included four Stanley Cups & becoming the first ever captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins and whose pro career concluded with two seasons in the WHA playing for his hometown Winnipeg Jets, where he scored the franchise's first ever goal, has died.  He was 82.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4425922/winnipeg-jets-first-goal-scorer-alvin-ab-brian-mcdonald-dies/

On 06/09/2018 at 06:53, alt obits guy said:

Ab McDonald, whose 15 year NHL career included four Stanley Cups & becoming the first ever captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins and whose pro career concluded with two seasons in the WHA playing for his hometown Winnipeg Jets, where he scored the franchise's first ever goal, has died.  He was 82.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4425922/winnipeg-jets-first-goal-scorer-alvin-ab-brian-mcdonald-dies/

For some reason I have an entire set of the first WHA hockey cards, meaning I have the McDonald card shown in this obit.

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

For some reason I have an entire set of the first WHA hockey cards, meaning I have the McDonald card shown in this obit.

I have a few WHA cards, myself, from various years but I don't believe I have any from the first set nor any of Mr. McDonald. 

Can't be many living Maple Leaf Stanley Cup winners.  No danger of new ones any time soon.

Edit:  Reading is fundamental:
"Lewicki was the last surviving member of the '51 team, and the only player to have won hockey's three major championships as a junior-age player — the Memorial Cup, the Allan Cup, emblematic of senior amateur supremacy in Canada, and the Stanley Cup."

BTW we have a 'Last of the Mohicans' thread specifically for the last living _______ .  It's not underutilized, it's NEVER utilized :(  Not sure why, I think it important we pay homage to extinction.
SC

Bad week for Maple Leafs

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Bad week for Maple Leafs

Yes, that's one old timer and one who I'd like to think wasn't an old timer, but did retire 30 years ago.  Don't know where the time goes. :angel3:

On 29/09/2018 at 18:51, alt obits guy said:

Yes, that's one old timer and one who I'd like to think wasn't an old timer, but did retire 30 years ago.  Don't know where the time goes. :angel3:

LOL not at all, at 58 he's a MY timer :(  Guess I should pay attention to writing on the wall....

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

LOL not at all, at 58 he's a MY timer :(  Guess I should pay attention to writing on the wall....

Personally, I'd like to pay attention to the writing on the wall but, unless I have my contact lenses in or my glasses on, I probably can't read it, anyway. :old:

John Ziegler, who served as president of the National Hockey League from 1977 to 1992 and played a key role in the league's expansion, with the introduction of four teams from the defunct World Hockey Association, has died.  He was 84.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/john-ziegler-fourth-president-of-nhl-dies-at-84-1.4151060#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=8GwpkVi

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

John Ziegler, who served as president of the National Hockey League from 1977 to 1992 and played a key role in the league's expansion, with the introduction of four teams from the defunct World Hockey Association, has died.  He was 84.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/john-ziegler-fourth-president-of-nhl-dies-at-84-1.4151060#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=8GwpkVi

Oh no..... that sucks.  I met him and had a right lovely conversation with the man about hockey, sports law, etc.  A very nice and accommodating individual, little pretense whatsoever, given his stature.
RIP
SirC

• Like 4

^^ Two posts providing links only and no mention on this site of the person's name so the search facility won't pick it up.

Mick-Mc-Geough.jpg

Mick McGeough

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little reluctant to post this, but wth.... you're all my best friends. :wub: :rolleyes:

The longtime voice of the Buffalo Sabres hasn't been silenced after being wheeled out of the press box on a stretcher.  Rick Jeanneret is "resting and doing well," the Sabres announced Sunday, about 12 hours after the Hall of Fame broadcaster was transported to the hospital during the third period of Buffalo's victory over the Anaheim Ducks.  The 76-year-old Jeanneret already is looking forward to returning to the broadcast booth following the NHL 's three-day Christmas break.

The Sabres did not reveal the reason why Jeanneret was hospitalized. He overcame throat cancer in 2014 and was fitted with a pacemaker in 2016.  

Jeanneret has done play-by-play of Sabres games either on radio or television since 1971, the longest tenure with a single team in NHL history.
SC

9 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

A little reluctant to post this, but wth.... you're all my best friends. :wub: :rolleyes:

The longtime voice of the Buffalo Sabres hasn't been silenced after being wheeled out of the press box on a stretcher.  Rick Jeanneret is "resting and doing well," the Sabres announced Sunday, about 12 hours after the Hall of Fame broadcaster was transported to the hospital during the third period of Buffalo's victory over the Anaheim Ducks.  The 76-year-old Jeanneret already is looking forward to returning to the broadcast booth following the NHL 's three-day Christmas break.

The Sabres did not reveal the reason why Jeanneret was hospitalized. He overcame throat cancer in 2014 and was fitted with a pacemaker in 2016.  

Jeanneret has done play-by-play of Sabres games either on radio or television since 1971, the longest tenure with a single team in NHL history.
SC

It should also be noted that the more he's aged, the fatter he's gotten

16 hours ago, Banana said:

It should also be noted that the more he's aged, the fatter he's gotten

Too many bananas.

• Like 1