Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

I told you who would get QO from that list.  

It’s ok to listen to the old man once in a while.

SC

• Like 1

Former Nashville captain Greg Johnson, who took the first faceoff in Predators history, died Tuesday in Detroit. He was 48.

No cause of death was immediately reported.

Drafted in the second round by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1989, Johnson scored  369 points (145 goals, 224 assists) in 785 NHL regular-season games.

SC

On 09/07/2019 at 14:01, Sir Creep said:

Former Nashville captain Greg Johnson, who took the first faceoff in Predators history, died Tuesday in Detroit. He was 48.

No cause of death was immediately reported.

Drafted in the second round by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1989, Johnson scored  369 points (145 goals, 224 assists) in 785 NHL regular-season games.

SC

Suicide

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1757261001#click=https://t.co/Skdz9Xjvif

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Banana said:

I just came to post that.  Ugh.... yuppers.  EVERY time no cause of death given, it can only be suicide or overdose.  There are no other reasons for the media to withhold info about an illness or injury.  So aye, had to believe it was suicide all along.  So sad.
SC

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I just came to post that.  Ugh.... yuppers.  EVERY time no cause of death given, it can only be suicide or overdose.  There are no other reasons for the media to withhold info about an illness or injury.  So aye, had to believe it was suicide all along.  So sad.
SC

There are the occasional heart deaths/illnesses that arise (Odjick, Probert, etc.), but yea after all the recent guys (Montador, Svatos, Johnson, etc.) and known future guys (Peat, Murphy) does seem to be that way.

Paul Mercer, who was at the time of death thought to be the oldest living Montreal Canadien and oldest living Stanley Cup winner, has died aged 90.

Campbell's a reliable hockey journalist, and the only other source I could find is one of those random obit websites, so this the tweet will do.

9 hours ago, CastAway said:

His names right there

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 02:17, Sir Creep said:

SC

All you do is come on this forum and cry about ice hockey players that nobody has heard of. 

Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur is undergoing quad bypass surgery tomorrow

28 minutes ago, Banana said:

Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur is undergoing quad bypass surgery tomorrow

Oh man, my boyhood hero as well. Used to get home from school and rush to the paper to check the boxscores from the previous night's game. He hardly ever disappointed me. 

12 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Oh man, my boyhood hero as well. Used to get home from school and rush to the paper to check the boxscores from the previous night's game. He hardly ever disappointed me. 

Ugh as soon as I saw this I said (along with Howe) my favourite player.  Canadians were my team.  

SirC

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin on television.  More than just a few times describing Lafleur flying down the right wing.  You knew it was Saturday night.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin on television.  More than just a few times describing Lafleur flying down the right wing.  You knew it was Saturday night.

I was just a young one back then, but I could never understand how Steve Shutt could play for the Habs.  For the longest time I thought you had to be French Canadian to be on the team, and to me he was some kind of interloper.    How times have changed.  Now, in the infamous words of the Tragically Hip, I don't give a fuck about hockey.

• Like 1

The Birmingham Bulls team founder Art Clarkson passed away on Monday, October 7, 2019, at age 78.  He also owned the Birmingham Barons minor league baseball team.
SC

Damn, my Detroit Red Wings dropping like flies any more these days.
Well here you go, it's in English anyway.  Give The Chronicle Herald of Halifax, NS it's moment on DL.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sports/former-nhler-mooseheads-coach-danny-grant-dead-at-74-363960/
SC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Banana said:

Should be noted that his comments re: the cancer should raise questions as to what stage the cancer is at and survivability odds given to him.

"I want to live to tell the story" isn't exactly the most optimistic of comments, so he might be an interesting punt in a pool next year or in 2021. Not sure he'd make the QO for the DDP, but other pools that accept American sources should be a surefire obit.

Dean Prentice, who played over 1300 games in the NHL dead at 87

Image result for dean prentice card

• Like 1