Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

22 minutes ago, Grimgrass said:

Doesn't seem like a reliable website or reliable news - there is no hockey insider reporting his death, no Twitter chatter that he has passed away. 

While he's no doubt very ill, I'm very suspicious of a random blog announcing someone's death based on random Twitter people's claims, so. Going to wait for a proper report on this one. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Doesn't seem like a reliable website or reliable news - there is no hockey insider reporting his death, no Twitter chatter that he has passed away. 

While he's no doubt very ill, I'm very suspicious of a random blog announcing someone's death based on random Twitter people's claims, so. Going to wait for a proper report on this one. 

Apologies, you're indeed correct. I should've checked the source more carefully. I'll amend my original post.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CastAway said:

The amount of bots generated websites, Youtube videos and Twitter accounts decidated to deaths of notable-ish people is astounding. There is just so much crap out there now.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Grimgrass said:

Apologies, you're indeed correct. I should've checked the source more carefully. I'll amend my original post.

4 minutes ago, edm88 said:

The amount of bots generated websites, Youtube videos and Twitter accounts decidated to deaths of notable-ish people is astounding. There is just so much crap out there now.

Okay, I dug into it a bit, and it seems it was an honest mistake - the morons at the Spittin Chiclets podcast, which if you haven't heard of it includes ex-NHLers and is a major name in the business, tweeted that Bossy had died. about 5 minutes later, the tweet was deleted, but by then the damage had obviously already been done. 

that said, given it was a proper tweet from Chiclets, I'd suspect Bossy's got maybe a day or two, a week if you're pushing. if he survives the month and makes it to the next round of the Deathlist Cup I'd be surprised, let's just say that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Okay, I dug into it a bit, and it seems it was an honest mistake - the morons at the Spittin Chiclets podcast, which if you haven't heard of it includes ex-NHLers and is a major name in the business, tweeted that Bossy had died. about 5 minutes later, the tweet was deleted, but by then the damage had obviously already been done. 

that said, given it was a proper tweet from Chiclets, I'd suspect Bossy's got maybe a day or two, a week if you're pushing. if he survives the month and makes it to the next round of the Deathlist Cup I'd be surprised, let's just say that.

Yeah, I'm sure there are web scrapers and certain algorithms picking up on death-related phrases, so that would make sense. Unfortunately (not blaming anyone in particular here), lots of people fall for it despite the obvious bot-generated titles and articles. If only there was a way to get rid of those sites and accounts.

• Like 3

Dammit this sucks.  Doesn't sound like Bossy has much time left at all.  What a legendary player he was.  

• Like 2

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/doug-wilson-to-step-down-as-general-manager-of-sharks-after-19-seasons/c-332727460?sf163117164=1

Might be nothing, but Doug Wilson stepping away from his GM role after an extended medical leave + chatter on Twitter and Reddit that it's related to his health worsening. He's in his 60s, and league execs tend to have to be pushed out the door in their 80s (see: Lou, L.) and they don't generally leave willingly for no reason

11 hours ago, CastAway said:

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/doug-wilson-to-step-down-as-general-manager-of-sharks-after-19-seasons/c-332727460?sf163117164=1

Might be nothing, but Doug Wilson stepping away from his GM role after an extended medical leave + chatter on Twitter and Reddit that it's related to his health worsening. He's in his 60s, and league execs tend to have to be pushed out the door in their 80s (see: Lou, L.) and they don't generally leave willingly for no reason

That could absolutely be true, but it's also worth pointing out that the Sharks are having another poor season and that this will be the third consecutive season in which they miss the playoffs, and the Sharks have mostly been a winning team during his tenure.  Maybe all parties just thought it was time for a change.  

• Like 1

Canadian ice hockey player Mike Bossy has died at 65

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hell said:

Canadian ice hockey player Mike Bossy has died at 65

If one is a fan of Hockey/NHL or in particular the NY Islanders he is much more than just a normal hockey player.

Hall of Fame, 4-time Stanley Cup winner, and widely considered one of the best of his generation. If he hadn't had his career cut short by injury, could have easily been one of the best to ever play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

If one is a fan of Hockey/NHL or in particular the NY Islanders he is much more than just a normal hockey player.

Hall of Fame, 4-time Stanley Cup winner, and widely considered one of the best of his generation. If he hadn't had his career cut short by injury, could have easily been one of the best to ever play.

Second best pure goal scorer in hockey history, behind Lemieux

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Second best pure goal scorer in hockey history, behind Lemieux

Between Bossy, Clark Gillies and Jean Potvin, it's been a rough year for Islanders fans (of which I am one)

• Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 23:31, HDS said:

Guy Lafleur made his first public appearance since October 2020 and reported progress in his cancer battle.

the canadiens' recent twitter statement, regarding Lafleur's health, certainly doesn't inspire a lot of optimism

expand to see twitter message

for those who can't access twitter

image.png.71bb491fced2d2f5514830d6bef0f90c.png

• Like 1

On 25/01/2022 at 13:08, arghton said:

https://www.is.fi/jaakiekko/art-2000008564507.html

Curt Lindström, Swedish ice hockey coach who coached Team Finland 1993-1997 to Finland's first Ice Hockey World Championships Gold in 1995 has been diagnosed with polyneuropathy. Unable to drive a car anymore but can still walk short distances without assistance. 

Appeared without a mask watching the Finland-Sweden game, now has covid:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekon-mm-2022/a/4c1cfe82-e765-4379-9b6b-8c4327561982

"Very ill" but says that nothing can stop him from going to Stockholm to watch Elitloppet 27-29 May

28 minutes ago, arghton said:

Appeared without a mask watching the Finland-Sweden game, now has covid:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekon-mm-2022/a/4c1cfe82-e765-4379-9b6b-8c4327561982

"Very ill" but says that nothing can stop him from going to Stockholm to watch Elitloppet 27-29 May

Oh I wouldn't be taunting the grim reaper if I was in his position 

• Like 1

Larry Hillman, who had a near-20 year NHL career and who became the youngest player to have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup, at 18 years two months nine days, has died. He was 85. A 5-time Cup winner, Hillman's NHL years were spent with Detroit, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Buffalo. He won four cups with the Maple Leafs, one with the Canadiens. Hillman also played three years in the AHL, split between Cleveland and Winnipeg. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2022/06/04/larry-hillman-youngest-player-to-have-his-name-on-stanley-cup-dead-at-85.html

image.png.cb76c15556ec8e59a4fae46620f0fff2.png

• Like 1

Eric Nesterenko, who played 1,200 games in the NHL, the bulk of which were in a Chicago Blackhawks uniform, has died. He was 88.  Nesterenko's career ran from the 1950s to the 1970s, including a 1961 Stanley Cup. Following his NHL career, he spent a year in Switzerland and one in the WHA.

image.png.d668669342ae31aacc0e912d97d576c8.png

• Like 3