themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Other Australians you could add to the list of potentials:

Alf Howard, sole remaining member of Mawson's Antarctic trip in 1920s. He's over 100.

Sir Marcus Loane, former Archbishop of Sydney, aged about 96

Greg Page, Wiggle with health issues

Doug Anthony, former Deputy PM

Lady Sonia McMahon, had a recent tumble

Brian Burke, former WA Premier (or am I just hopeful putting him on this list)

Kel Nagle, golfer in late 80s

Sara Douglass, author

As predicted just one week ago... Archbishop Sir Marcus Loane died today aged in fact 97.

• Like 1

Alf Howard, sole remaining member of Mawson's Antarctic trip in 1920s. He's over 100.

Sara Douglass, author

As predicted just one week ago... Archbishop Sir Marcus Loane died today aged in fact 97.

Good shout AC/DU, but he'd never have passed the DL fame test.

Sara Douglass, author

Good shout AC/DU, but he'd never have passed the DL fame test.

Most colonials don't, sadly.

Most colonials don't, sadly.

Wasn't the "sadly" a tad unnecessary (a "full stop" or "period" would surely have been more accurate)? <_<

G'Day Everyone.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Easters.

It was reported today by the Age Newspaper that Aussie billionaire and Visy man Richard Pratt (74) is close to dying from the prostate cancer he has had for a while now. Poor old bloke, maybe they'll bury him in one of his cardboard boxes.

I've just posted it in the 'dead of 2009' thread but I feel it should be mentioned here as well - legendary Aussie actor Charles 'Bud' Tingwell has said g'bye.

From above: "Bud Tingwell (92) - Brilliant Australian Actor, but getting on a bit though."

He's only 86. Spring chicken.

G'Day all.

Just replying to the accusation the Bud Tingwell is only 86. I Have a link here that claims his year of birth is 1917.

Why are you calling me "Spring Chicken"?

Also we MUST include Rose Porteous-Hancock (61) - Australia's answer to Anna Nicole-Smith but no-where near as attractive as Smith was. She NEEDS to be included on the list as she appears to be ill and the list would be incomplete without her anyway. :rolleyes:

I cannot remember where the link I had was for him being 86. I think 86 is correct. I was calling him a spring chicken, namely young compared to 92. Jeanette Howard ought to be considered too.

He was 86, as I said, but as reported, he now won't get to 92.

From above: "Bud Tingwell (92) - Brilliant Australian Actor, but getting on a bit though."

G'Day all.

Just replying to the accusation the Bud Tingwell is only 86. I Have a link here that claims his year of birth is 1917.

Also we MUST include Rose Porteous-Hancock (61) - Australia's answer to Anna Nicole-Smith but no-where near as attractive as Smith was. She NEEDS to be included on the list as she appears to be ill and the list would be incomplete without her anyway. :rolleyes:

I cannot remember where the link I had was for him being 86. I think 86 is correct. I was calling him a spring chicken, namely young compared to 92. Jeanette Howard ought to be considered too.

G'day Applecool Downunder.

What can I say, you were right. But I hope you'll agree with me at least on this - Bud Tingwell will be sorely missed and Australian TV will never be the same without him.

:pop: R.I.P. Bud.

G'Day all.

What can I say, you were right. But I hope you'll agree with me at least on this - Bud Tingwell will be sorely missed and Australian TV will never be the same without him.

:pop: R.I.P. Bud.

Fully agree, a charming man. There was a note in The Age this morning that apparently he was reported as being 90 two years ago and he rang to Age to correct their report!

I have updated the list and put in nearly all the suggestions that everyone gave. (Couldn't find any info at all on Lenox's birthday.) I am going to leave the list like this since it is already massive! Of course, you are all free to go on making suggestions but this time I really am going back to being a lurker!

Here we go (drum roll, please...)

PRESENTING...

THE ONE AND ONLY DEFINITIVE EDITION OF...

THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN DEATHLIST!

PART A: THOSE WHO HAVE CONSUMED THEIR ALLOTTED THREE SCORE YEARS AND TEN:

John Campbell Ross 1899. Oldest living Australian male.

And Jack Ross died today, as reported in WW! Veterans thread, but ought to be acknowledged here also

Great tribute to John Campbell Ross, as the last Australian WWI vet his passing marks the end of an era in Australian wartime history.

Also did hear about the passing of Sir John Holland (94), the bloke whose engineering company built a lot of Australian landmarks from the Great Southern Stand at the MCG to a wool shed on Malcolm Fraser's Nareen property.

...the bloke whose engineering company built a lot of Australian landmarks from the Great Southern Stand at the MCG to a wool shed on Malcolm Fraser's Nareen property.

I'd hardly call Malcolm Fraser's Wool Shed an Australian landmark. Things must be pretty quiet out Nareen way.

...the bloke whose engineering company built a lot of Australian landmarks from the Great Southern Stand at the MCG to a wool shed on Malcolm Fraser's Nareen property.

I'd hardly call Malcolm Fraser's Wool Shed an Australian landmark. Things must be pretty quiet out Nareen way.

G'Day honez.

Well everywhere needs a landmark of some kind and it is a very nice looking wool shed.

Perhaps less notable than Campbell Ross but Australian evangelist Geoffrey Bingham has died at 90. To be honest never heard of him. I just get a lot of pleasure from learning that an evangelist of any sort has died.

Perhaps less notable than Campbell Ross but Australian evangelist Geoffrey Bingham has died at 90. To be honest never heard of him. I just get a lot of pleasure from learning that an evangelist of any sort has died.

I suspect he's also getting a lot of pleasure after his death too. Not well known in the public eye but a very prolific writer I think.

Melbourne AFL president Jim Stynes not looking too good. Cancerous lump in his back and according to The Age "thought it might just be located in that one area but it's not, it's spread quite a bit". Unlikely to get a UK obit, but probably someone to keep an eye on at least for this thread.

Devine Departs

Noted Aussie journalist frank Devine has filed his final copy.

Strewth! There's an unholy courtroom squabble going on over the Australian national anthem.

Yes clearly we have nothing better to do down here. :skull: My prediction is that the Kookaburra will have the last laugh, as per usual.

For anyone wanting to compare the two songs here is the classic

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.

Strewth! There's an unholy courtroom squabble going on over the Australian national anthem.

Yes clearly we have nothing better to do down here. :skull: My prediction is that the Kookaburra will have the last laugh, as per usual.

For anyone wanting to compare the two songs here is the classic

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.

That's brought back happy memories, I used to live in Australia when I was a kid and we used to sing that in a round robin kindy of stylee at school. Ah, those happy, sunny days......

Okay, just a quick update for Aussie deaths in the month of September from 1st - 22nd.

2nd - Mr. Percival (33) - water fowl.

8th - Ray Barrett (82) - actor.

14th - Mike Leyland (68) - documentary film maker.

17th - Alexander McLeod-Lindsay (74) - unlucky bloke.

17th - Virginia Chadwick (64) - politician.

The weird thing is it was the death of the pelican which received the most air time out of these people, although Barrett did receive an obit in the Weekly Times newspaper.

P.S. My tip of the AFL grand final is St Kilda (though not by much), with the Norm Smith Medal going to Lenny Hayes.

Melbourne AFL president Jim Stynes, who has been undergoing treatment for a cancerous lump in his back, now has been diagnosed with a brain tumour. Apparently, it's a "little tumour", but that could just be convict optimism.

We've heard plenty about his mother, but what of Rupert (78) himself? Another missing name is Val Lehman of Cell Block H, although she seems in fine fettle at 66.

• Like 1