themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Mandawuy Yunupingu rushed to hospital. According to the article, he "has been a renal patient for the last five years."

If he survives this, he might be good for the 2013 list.

Except no one knows who he the hell he is.

Yothu Yindi must have some international recognition, surely, as the first Aboriginal band to have mainstream hits?

I'd regard him as someone in the "probably will get a DDP-worthy obit but lacks the DL-level recognizability" camp.

Mandawuy Yunupingu rushed to hospital. According to the article, he "has been a renal patient for the last five years."

Yothu Yindi must have some international recognition, surely, as the first Aboriginal band to have mainstream hits?

I do love that in your world Geoffrey Hughes is some obscure never-before-head of minor z-lister and yet "Mandawuy Yunupingu" is fucking Elvis or Micheal Jackson.

I do love that in your world Geoffrey Hughes is some obscure never-before-head of minor z-lister and yet "Mandawuy Yunupingu" is fucking Elvis or Micheal Jackson.

Well we have to have our priorities in order mate. To be fair though, I had heard of Geoffrey Hughes before he was on the Deathlist. Keeping up appearences does air in Australia from time to time (like when the Fawlty Towers reruns are exhausted). Onslow is an unforgettable character.

Mandawuy Yunupingu and Yothu Yindi are significant to Australia as the band first burst onto the music scene with the song "Treaty" which proved to be the first real time the tensions between indigenous communities and the Australian government were put into words and the message spread across the country.

Kind of like if a band from Cornwall produced a song relating to its persecutions by the UK government.

• Like 2

Well we have to have our priorities in order mate. To be fair though, I had heard of Geoffrey Hughes before he was on the Deathlist. Keeping up appearences does air in Australia from time to time (like when the Fawlty Towers reruns are exhausted). Onslow is an unforgettable character.

Mandawuy Yunupingu and Yothu Yindi are significant to Australia as the band first burst onto the music scene with the song "Treaty" which proved to be the first real time the tensions between indigenous communities and the Australian government were put into words and the message spread across the country.

Kind of like if a band from Cornwall produced a song relating to its persecutions by the UK government.

Hmmm...somehow I don't think that Cornish people were the original Britons though...

• Like 1

That's gonna take a huge bite out of my 2013 team

Guest Guest

Just found out the actress Patricia Kennedy has died at 96.She was in lots of australian tv shows but the part I remember her most of was playing an old woman called Mrs McBride in the early episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H, where she befriended Frankie and Doreen when they were on the run.http://en.wikipedia....ennedy_(actress)

Death List 2013:

Nelson Mandela, Muhammad Ali, Nancy Reagan, Gough Whitlam, Luise Rainer, Herman Wouk, Margaret Thatcher, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Alice Herz-Sommer,

George HW Bush, Annette Funicello, Bernadette Nolan, Mark “Chopper” Read, Betty Cuthbert, Chrissy Amphlett, Kristen Stewart, P.D. James, Superstar Billy Graham,

Robert Mugabe

And for the Aussies:

Mark “Chopper” Read, Gough Whitlam, Rod Laver, Hazel Hawke, Darrell Eastlake, Mandawuy Yunupingu, Alan Davidson, Helen Garner, Wilson Tuckey, Maggie Tabberer,

Betty Cuthbert, Ugly Dave Gray, Lou Richards, Chrissy Amphlett, Marcia Hines, Arthur Morris, Ken Done, Nick D’Arcy, Noel Kelly, Father Geoffrey Schneider (world's oldest teacher)

Guest Guest

Peter Harvey has pancreatic cancer. :(

He was diagnosed last october so by now he's either recovering or on the brink of death I would imagine

Aussie socialite, Lady Susan Renouf has cancer which is, "already much progressed."

Good catch.

On a totally unrelated subject, I was thinking of a number of Australian travel show/outback exploration types who are quite elderly now. With Steve Irwin, Mike Leyland and Malcolm Douglas all passing away over the last decade, it is probably time for another one of these guys to go:

Outback adventurer, television personality, four wheel drive guru and bush artist Jack Absalom was born in 1927.

Outback adventurer, television personality, folk musician and former Administrator of the Northern Territory Ted Egan was born in 1932.

Naturalist, television personality, and environmental consultant for big oil companies Harry Butler was born in 1930.

Now for the Rolf Harris connections: Harry Butler co-wrote Sun Arise with Rolf in 1961, whilst Ted Egan introduced him to Two Little Boys in 1969...

Aussie socialite, Lady Susan Renouf has cancer which is, "already much progressed."

Good catch.

On a totally unrelated subject, I was thinking of a number of Australian travel show/outback exploration types who are quite elderly now. With Steve Irwin, Mike Leyland and Malcolm Douglas all passing away over the last decade, it is probably time for another one of these guys to go:

Outback adventurer, television personality, four wheel drive guru and bush artist Jack Absalom was born in 1927.

Outback adventurer, television personality, folk musician and former Administrator of the Northern Territory Ted Egan was born in 1932.

Naturalist, television personality, and environmental consultant for big oil companies Harry Butler was born in 1930.

Now for the Rolf Harris connections: Harry Butler co-wrote Sun Arise with Rolf in 1961, whilst Ted Egan introduced him to Two Little Boys in 1969...

Davey do you remember Troy Dann? kind of a crazier Steve Erwin type, never really made it big though and lives in relative obscurity, courtesy of the Russell Coight spoof.

Good catch.

Yes, she is a good bet for a UK obit through the Sangster connection.