themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

What are your thoughts on the Gillard/Rudd switcheroo, Davey?

Ultimately, though, it just isn´t that huge an issue unless the powers are associated with the role are changed or expanded, which would need an enormous amount of scrutiny.

Ultimately we can discuss this until the cows come home (as dear old dad used to say) and as Davey rightly says it seems more useful as a political trump card to distract rather than enact upon. Personally I don't trust them enough to allow them to change the rules so significantly when they can't even produce a cohesive budget surplus or are too afraid to legalise same-sex marriage.

I prefer a republic because of my belief in the legal equality of all people. A modern state has no room for hereditary public jobs, of power or otherwise. Such positions must be open to all citizens or not exist at all. A monarchy also isn't fair for the incumbent. Just two months ago my country got a new monarch, who wouldn't do the job if he had any choice.

I agree that a constitutional monarchy and a republic of the German model look pretty much the same from the point of view of everyday politics. As most Dutch republicans I don't waste time on political action towards the proclamation of the Third Dutch Republic. The monarchy is quite popular. Of course this can change overnight when King Willem-Alexander does something both unpopular and unconstitutional.

regards,

Hein

I must admit that the level of debate on this site is wonderful and goes to show what an erudite bunch the Deathlist attracts.

I know a lot of Republicans (on both sides of the world) seems to be of the opinion not to do anything until QE II dies but but in my opinion that will be too late because the atmosphere will not be right for the debate and the juggernaut of tradition will swing into action and King Charles III will be crowned before they have had chance to open their gobs.

However I am a supporter of the monarchy but think that it is better to have a reasoned debate about the choices rather than follow a blind path through tradition.

This is the view of a Brit and I do not pretend to have an understanding of what the average Australian would think of the matter.

• Like 2

I must admit that the level of debate on this site is wonderful and goes to show what an erudite bunch the Deathlist attracts.

I know a lot of Republicans (on both sides of the world) seems to be of the opinion not to do anything until QE II dies but but in my opinion that will be too late because the atmosphere will not be right for the debate and the juggernaut of tradition will swing into action and King Charles III will be crowned before they have had chance to open their gobs.

However I am a supporter of the monarchy but think that it is better to have a reasoned debate about the choices rather than follow a blind path through tradition.

This is the view of a Brit and I do not pretend to have an understanding of what the average Australian would think of the matter.

You got me on a sober day.

You got me on a sober day.

Cut the cord I says.

And get a new flag while you're at it.

What are your thoughts on the Gillard/Rudd switcheroo, Davey?

I have mixed feelings. As I said before, Gillard knifing Rudd didn't bother me as I expect them all to be betraying each other for power. In turn, Rudd has undermined Gillard constantly for three years and now his "white anting" has paid off for him. It has been a strange situation though in that Rudd was always very popular with the electorate - he had the longest honeymoon period of any newly-elected leader ever - but his colleagues can't stand him. In complete contrast, Julia was apparently much easier to work with and had factional support but the general public never came to like her, partly because of overthrowing Rudd, partly due to a few policy back flips when she first came in and partly because she was very stilted and didn't come across as very natural during speeches and media conferences. Rudd has to get the factions within the ALP onside now and show he can collaborate with his peers or they will be back to square one.

The reason they have put him back in despite their hatred of him is that they were facing electoral annhilation at the end of this year. They now actually have a small chance of winning, so great is his popularity with people, but even if he doesn't pull off that miracle, they will save some of the key seats they would have lost with Julia at the helm.

The election was due for Sep 14th but Rudd is going to move it slightly but they still don't have much time to turn things around. It is going to be a very interesting few months.

You would never have that happening in the British Labour Party. Bunch of softies in comparison to their Australian cousins. The Conservatives on the other hand...

• Like 1

You would never have that happening in the British Labour Party. Bunch of softies in comparison to their Australian cousins. The Conservatives on the other hand...

This might mean an end to all the knifings: http://theconversati...udd-rules-15887

Aussie politics just won't be the same. :P

An Anglo-Aussie leftfield suggestion - 'Little' Stevie Wright of the Easybeats, who rivalled Keef for drugs and booze ingestion and topped it off with a dash of DST at Dr Bailey's notorious Chelmsford Private Hospital.

He still gigs but it's got to catch up with him one of these days.

Stevie Wright is currently in hospital, with a multitude of ailments likely to be keeping his doctors busy for a while.

Steven Wright, vocalist with the Easybeats, suffered a seizure in early July and was admitted to a Melbourne, Australia hospital. The 64 year-old is under observation for liver, kidney, lung and stomach problems and says he recently had part of his intestine removed. Though he has been sober for 25 years (except for painkillers when needed), he battled with alcohol and heroin abuse in the past.

[snip]

In overall terms though, Australia is very much a vassal state of the USA. Whoever is in, be they Left or Right, they will bow to their masters in Washington.

Same here. The nasty extra is that we pay for US protection against unknown enemies. That's protection as in protection racket, mind.

regards,

Hein

It is getting worse here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-31/usaf-plans-for-pacific-foreign-pol3bicy-magazine-report/4856112

This is all part of the American Empire's strategy to "contain" China. We are suddenly of strategic importance as a giant air base for the Yanks. Nevermind that China is one of our biggest trading partners and this will just antagonise them or that, in the unthinkable event of an actual conflict between the USA and China, we would become part of the warzone. :(

[snip]

In overall terms though, Australia is very much a vassal state of the USA. Whoever is in, be they Left or Right, they will bow to their masters in Washington.

Same here. The nasty extra is that we pay for US protection against unknown enemies. That's protection as in protection racket, mind.

regards,

Hein

It is getting worse here: http://www.abc.net.a...-report/4856112

This is all part of the American Empire's strategy to "contain" China. We are suddenly of strategic importance as a giant air base for the Yanks. Nevermind that China is one of our biggest trading partners and this will just antagonise them or that, in the unthinkable event of an actual conflict between the USA and China, we would become part of the warzone. :(

Could it be the USA, in its current state, remembering with nostalgia the good ol' days of being a political, military and economic powerhouse, is looking to recapture those days with another potential cold war scenario - this time against China...maybe Australia can lease the land next door to the base out to the Chinese so they build one as well, for the sake of fairness of course.

• Like 1

[snip]

regards,

Hein

Could it be the USA, in its current state, remembering with nostalgia the good ol' days of being a political, military and economic powerhouse, is looking to recapture those days with another potential cold war scenario - this time against China...maybe Australia can lease the land next door to the base out to the Chinese so they build one as well, for the sake of fairness of course.

Spot on, mate. Someone I know actually said something similar when the Yank troop presence was first announced a few years ago: that the Americans and Chinese should share the base between them so that the bastards can learn how to live together.

[snip]

regards,

Hein

Spot on, mate. Someone I know actually said something similar when the Yank troop presence was first announced a few years ago: that the Americans and Chinese should share the base between them so that the bastards can learn how to live together.

For someone who loves china and chinese culture very much i will try to remain balanced . All in all the chinese are not a warmongering nation ,alot of the land that is disputed was taken from china. Apart from taiwan as I believe the nationalists deserve some reward for the fighting they did against the japanese . Also china

won't be drawn into a war. I suspect the reason why america had china buy all its debt is because it has no intention of paying it back and if china starts to need money or lose money it may try to collect some of that payment , as that point america would say no and then accuse china of committing a financial war against it.

I wonder what would happen if china decided to build an airbase in mexico or cuba , america would probably threaten nuclear war again like it did with the cuba missiles crisis. Love american culture and all the American's i have met have been nice, but the american government the more and more you found out about them you realise they are the bad guys.

Yes, China generally hasn't been expansionist. They have taken countries close to their borders (Mongolia and Tibet) and there is historical animosity with Taiwan and with Japan over the Spratley Islands but other than that, I can't see them becoming aggressive to their neighbours in the region. They will just grow more and more economically powerful if the aging population time bomb doesn't harm them too much.

As for the US government, in the wake of the drones, extra-judicial killings and PRISM scandal, I think more and more of us are really waking up to the fact that the Republicans and Democrats are just two sides of the same coin. Obama is extending W.'s policies, not curtailing them. :(

• Like 1

Yes, China generally hasn't been expansionist. They have taken countries close to their borders (Mongolia and Tibet) and there is historical animosity with Taiwan and with Japan over the Spratley Islands but other than that, I can't see them becoming aggressive to their neighbours in the region. They will just grow more and more economically powerful if the aging population time bomb doesn't harm them too much.

As for the US government, in the wake of the drones, extra-judicial killings and PRISM scandal, I think more and more of us are really waking up to the fact that the Republicans and Democrats are just two sides of the same coin. Obama is extending W.'s policies, not curtailing them. :(

I agree, but it is the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea - a separate dispute with the Japanese.

http://www.tokyotimes.com/2013/u-s-senate-adopts-resolution-against-chinas-use-of-force-in-the-senkaku-islands-dispute/

Personally I think the Japanese should relinquish the islands to the Chinese, The Japanese don't really have any rightful claim to them anyway.

I tend to agree with a mate of mine who said "Australia is like the bloke in the tough guy's (U.S.) gang who does business with the rich kid (China) as well."