themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

9 hours ago, Dr_T said:

News breaking in Australia on the death of legendary Australian golfer, Peter Thomson.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/golf/aussie-golf-legend-peter-thomson-dead/news-story/f4d222b9b75ad9f735728ee9e1535da4

DDP points for 3 teams.

Damn..... His notification of ill health on these pages seemed interesting, and his name made my 'keep an eye on him' lists, but there never seemed anything of meat to the story.  Until now :(
SC

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:23, alt obits guy said:

(Also posted in the Journalists thread)

Former Australian Broadcasting Corporation journalist Liz Jackson has died.  She was 67.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/acclaimed-australian-journalist-liz-jackson-has-died-20180628-p4zof1.html

Fairly big death here as she was high-profile and respected.

Here is FB video with Mike Willesee discussing his current condition.

The picture shows that he has obviously lost a lot of weight-as my wife would say "he has the look of a man who is tangoing with the Spanish Dancer", but it seems that the treatment has largely worked and he is upbeat about his prognosis.  Immunotherapy continues to be the nemesis of the deathlister.  Doesn't help my DDP team, but good luck to him.

He's #4 on my 5-4-3-2-1 hit list, he looked like this was his month after a year of whining about C.

José José also looked like death warmed up at one point. Maybe form-watching is getting trickier.

John Cocks is also doing immunotherapy iirc. Think his cancer is more advanced than Willissee, but it’s the immunotherapy that makes me think Cocksy is more of a 2019 fatality. Think with the cancer spread and the bleach he’s drinking he won’t be here in a few years time, but until we get another update on him, I’m going with him seeing the year out...

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

José José also looked like death warmed up at one point. Maybe form-watching is getting trickier.

He's another Joe Jackson (daughter has him locked in basement, no one can visit).  So really going to be tough getting meaningful updates imho.  I went with him in a couple recent DPs due to the death warmed over look.  I think the next time we hear about him will be ala Joe Jackson 'days to live'.
SC

On 29/08/2015 at 23:01, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Just came across this amusing piece from last year:

Bert Newton given LSD for mental collapse: book

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/bert-newton-given-lsd-for-mental-collapse-book-20141023-11at6m.html

Bert Newton turns 80 today! :birthday:

Not sure whether this is the right thread to discuss the imminent death of a tv show....but it is Australian.  They have made an Australian version of Pointless which debuted last night.  I love the English version, saw it by accident when I was in England in 2013 and then found a few episodes on YouTube.  They have played a season or two of the English show on the ABC as well.  Anyway, the Australian version is utter shite.  They have truncated it to fit a 30 minute spot on one of the commercial channels.  They start with three pairs and hence have more or less done away with the first round.  They barely have time to talk to the contestants or each other, but in a way that is a godsend as the main host (playing Alexander's role) is charmless and shouty.  They even managed to fit in a commercial break in between the first and second questions of the head to head round.  The only improvement on the English version is that the presenter knows when to use "fewer" instead of "less" which escapes poor old Alexander despite his fancy-schmancy education at Durham School.

I give it 3 weeks tops before Channel Ten pulls the pin and starts showing reruns of Family Feud instead.

5 hours ago, Dr_T said:

The only improvement on the English version is that the presenter knows when to use "fewer" instead of "less" which escapes poor old Alexander despite his fancy-schmancy education at Durham School.

The difference between people who watch Game Of Thrones and people who do not.   :D

• Haha 1

OldWillz has the opposite view of the UK Pointless.

He finds it too slow, full of long looks and pauses during the inevitable Xander/Richard joking and doesn't understand why there has to be a round-up of the scores when they are in huge numbers in front of the contestants. "Get on with it, Gawd!" he shouts.

Admittedly, he is getting on and perhaps he feels anything that makes the show less slick is stealing the little time he believes he has left.

40 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

He finds it too slow, full of long looks and pauses during the inevitable Xander/Richard joking and doesn't understand why there has to be a round-up of the scores when they are in huge numbers in front of the contestants. "Get on with it, Gawd!" he shouts.

Admittedly, he is getting on and perhaps he feels anything that makes the show less slick is stealing the little time he believes he has left.

I have a similar view of the new 15 to 1. What was 24 mins is now 60, lots of preamble chat with the contestants, and crap jokes. You  might have no liked WGS (iirc) but he was far better at rattling through "question, correct, wrong, wrong, fuck off you're out" in relatively quick time.

• Like 1

I've been to see two episodes of Pointless being filmed as one of our favourite TV shows. One of more disappointing experiences of my life. All the on screen stuff between Xander and Richard suggested a couple of big pals who would spend all day happily laughing together a bit like I imagine David Baddiel and Frank Skinner would.

In actual fact at every break in filiming they totally ignored each other and went to opposite sides of the studio to look at the messages on their phones.

Filming was really slick and formulaic mind - they probably got the full 45 minute show filmed in little over an hour.

My mother in law was on the original 15 to 1 - she was shit.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I've never watched it, but it sounds typical of the padding that put me off watching a lot of TV.  It happened with Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, too much time-wasting chat and not enough questions.  And those programmes that fill half their time with endless recaps and "Coming up"s.

Pointless is actually decent for avoiding the WWTBAM dead air trap. Also, quite easy if you deadpool, given usually around 21 members of the general public can't remember who Theresa May is for an example of the intelligence of the 100...

Osman's new House of Games thing, though celeb only, has some interesting ideas like the game where he names a country and the celebs all point out on their Ipad map where they think it is. Usually, terribly...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Osman's new House of Games thing, though celeb only, has some interesting ideas like the game where he names a country and the celebs all point out on their Ipad map where they think it is. Usually, terribly...

Ooh, I'd be quite good at that.  Until it got to those pesky Oceanic island nations.  And the Caribbean.

• Like 1

I know she's ageless but I do hope there isn't 'A Reason' why Lee Lin Chin has quit SBS. Her quitting also means she probably won't regain her rightful place as Australia's Eurovision spokesperson next year - she was *very* much missed this year imho.

Still, great way of upstaging the Nine/Fairfax merger.

Stuart Fraser performed live again, which is from Steve Balbi’s Facebook page (I would post it on here, but I can’t figure out how to share Facebook posts from other sites). While the video quality is very blurry, I think he’s doing too well to die this year. I hope he’s doing okay...

Rumours of yet another change of prime minister are swirling around tonight... Turnbull might be out and Peter Dutton in!