themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Guest Droosy

More details on Jon English coming through. Must have happened quickly if he only advised he had to pull out of that concert on Monday:

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/australian-rock-icon-jon-english-dead-66/2959081/

I always suspected he might have had kidney problems because of those dark rings around his eyes.

Three big rock music deaths in three days from an Aussie perspective with Ross Hannaford (Daddy Cool), George Martin and Jon English all going. It really is "the year the music died" now!

I thought that Martin was English!

Australia doesn't even have THAT many people. But I have 3 of them in my main team (Paul Cox, as well as the bishops). Plus Ross Hannaford, Betty Cuthbert and Connie Johnson. And that after last year was also one for quite big deaths. What's going on?

• Like 1

Australia doesn't even have THAT many people. But I have 3 of them in my main team (Paul Cox, as well as the bishops). Plus Ross Hannaford, Betty Cuthbert and Connie Johnson. And that after last year was also one for quite big deaths. What's going on?

There'll be no one left soon! I was scratching my head to think of new Australians to suggest for the 2016 DL and now all these blokes in their 60s are surreptitiously starting to drop!

Jon English live in Sweden for ya, performing his mega-hit "Six Ribbons". Song starts with looooong flute intro around 1:20:

More info coming to light:

"His former manager Peter Rix said he died after what was supposed to be a routine operation.

"They discovered problems with aorta valves, a lot of bleeding was involved," Rix said.

Robert Rigby, the manager of English's record label, said the sudden death had shocked everyone.

"Jon was truly an Aussie rock legend," he said.

"This news has come as a very big shock to family and friends and of course the industry as a whole.

"Jon was not expecting anything more than a routine operation but due to complications unfortunately he passed away at almost midnight.""

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-10/australian-singer-jon-english-dies-at-age-66/7235366 (Same link as above but info in it now updated.)

My sister went to the Madge gig in Melbourne last night, where Molly Meldrum was also in attendence. She says he really doesn't look well at all.

• Like 1

My sister went to the Madge gig in Melbourne last night, where Molly Meldrum was also in attendence. She says he really doesn't look well at all.

Molly Meldrum - there's a blast from my brief WA-resident youth.

• Like 1

You lived in WA? My commiserations, my dear.

Yes Molly's never really recovered since his fall when putting up his Christmas lights a few years ago which put him in a coma for a while. He also more recently drunkenly fell out of a taxi in Bangkok which injured his spine.

Vinegar Tits, if you are interested, Channel 9 recently made a two part mini series on his life, recreating his encounters with all the acts of the era.

You lived in WA? My commiserations, my dear.

Yes Molly's never really recovered since his fall when putting up his Christmas lights a few years ago which put him in a coma for a while. He also more recently drunkenly fell out of a taxi in Bangkok which injured his spine.

Vinegar Tits, if you are interested, Channel 9 recently made a two part mini series on his life, recreating his encounters with all the acts of the era.

I did - near Rockingham, only for a couple of years when I was quite young, and as you can imagine, having come from the scummy delights of mid-Wiltshire to being two minutes from a beautiful beach AND finally having my own bedroom, it was actual heaven. And now, here I am, back in mid-Wilts, on a Monday morning, with a hangover, telling a schizophrenic cat to 'calm yer tits'. Life, eh?

• Like 1

Turns out he did actually have weeks left after all, then.

Well done to those who held on to him. Ellis was a lock for me at one point, but I dropped him after discovering his remission announcement. I can't complain over missing him since I wasn't the only one to drop him for that reason, and I've gotten points from a few other "totally in recovery you guys" punts, but it is a reminder liver cancer truly is a bastard.

Well done to those who held on to him. Ellis was a lock for me at one point, but I dropped him after discovering his remission announcement. I can't complain over missing him since I wasn't the only one to drop him for that reason, and I've gotten points from a few other "totally in recovery you guys" punts, but it is a reminder liver cancer truly is a bastard.

Yeah, I dropped him and Cruyff, but then I did add Gartside and Farren, so swings and roundabouts.

Is Graham Richardson auditioning for a new series of Hollow Men?

By the time they are finished with him he'll hear an echo every time he swallows.

Dutch Australian filmmaker Paul Cox is also apparently dying as cancer spreads to his transplanted liver.

Also, horse trainer Phil Sly has been in a long battle with cancer: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/vic-racing/lumosty-gives-phil-sly-the-will-to-fight-in-his-battle-with-cancer/news-story/263bb86eace91d3da20b91a96f5e01ca

Phil Sly has died: https://www.racing.com/news/2016-04-07/phil-sly-loses-battle-with-cancer

34th on Captain Chorizo's Shaun's Death By Numbers squad, so awaiting a qo.

Australian TV and radio personality Bruce Mansfield has died of prostate cancer.

Mansfield, who was a week shy of his 72nd birthday, is best known for his 3AW evening show Nightline with Bruce and Phil, which he hosted with Philip Brady for more than 21 years.

SC

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/17/bruce-mansfield-melbourne-radio-personality-dies-at-71