themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

10 minutes ago, msc said:

So by battle, they mean Charge of the Light Brigade then.

Reminds me of Pat Conroy's 'battle' with pancreatic cancer that lasted about a week.

Alan Cassell (IMDb), a British born Australian actor, has died aged 85. He appeared in Australian movies including Money MoversCathy's ChildBreaker Morant and Strange Bedfellows. He also had various minor roles on TV shows including Doctor WhoSpecial Squad and Neighbours.

Fans of Prisoner Cell Block H (like me) will be sad to hear that the actress Judith McGrath who played thepart of Colleen 'Po Face' Powell in over 200 episodes has died at 70.She's the biggest death from the show since Gerda Nicolson died in 1992, in terms of the no of eps she was in anyway..She was also a big star in All Saints and A Country Practice. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5005609/Judith-McGrath-dies-aged-70.html

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Po Face was great and probably my favourite screw - just the right amount of sarcasm and deadpan. Plus the episode where something nasty happens to her entire family is hilarious*

*Well, I thought it was funny. No sympathy - her daughter was a awful whiny brat (possibly even worse than Pippa Bleeding Reynolds) and her husband was the red-nosed bloke from Muriel's Wedding.

Great actress - fab in Round The Twist as well - and a sad loss to all of us who grew up watching Aussie soaps. Was it known she was ill? 

One of New Zealand's most decorated soldiers, Major-General Walter Babington Thomas, has died at the age of 98.

Thomas, known as Sandy, died at his Australian home on Sunday.

The retired major-general had been decorated for bravery four times, received the Military Cross twice and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and the New Zealand Operational Service Medal.
SC

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 13:29, WhoamI said:

AUSSIE LIST FOR 2017

Darrell Eastlake

Jeanne Little

Bob Hawke

Dame Beryl Beaurepaire

Betty Cuthbert

Ugly Dave Gray

Clive James

Marjorie Jackson-Nelson

Lou Richards

Neil Harvey

Tamie Fraser

Ken Done

Graeme Langlands

Ben Cousins

Sir Ninian Stephen

Peter Hollingworth

George Pell

Marlene Matthews

Dawn Fraser

Dame Margaret Guilfoyle

another one gone http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/sir-ninian-stephen-former-governorgeneral-dies-aged-94-20171029-gzagyi.html

Gary the goat has died aged 6. 

I am personally gutted having followed his antics online for years! Is it wrong to cry about the death of a goat?

• Sad 1

Australian academic and intellectual Robert Manne is apparently battling throat cancer for the second time.  He's got his own profile page on the Guardian's site, which should pretty much guarantee him an obituary when the time comes, I would have thought. 

Nice reference to Tony Judt in that. He is, to my best memory, the first person I ever had to scratch off a DDP shortlist due to dying too soon.

Daniel Johns of Silverchair has battled drug problems and anorexia on and off since the 90's. Like Sinead,Gasciogne,Artie Lange etc. it's just a matter of whether end is tomorrow or 5-10 years from now

On 11/23/2015 at 01:44, Dr_T said:

Reg Grundy made my personal 50 for the first time this year. No reason other than being old. Other random old Aussies on the watch list are Flo Bjelke-Peterson, Lou Richards, Sir Ninian Stephen (ex G-G) and Bob Hawke (turns 86 in a couple of weeks and seems to be aging rapidly). None of those are front page news I know.

My hit rate with random old Aussies is not great-I think Joyce Jacobs (Esme from A Country Practice) is the only Aussie hit I have struck who I picked purely on the basis of age.

Not sure if people watched Flo Bjelke-Peterson as much as they kept an eye on her DDP points scoring husband, but she was mentioned a few times on here, and she is dead aged 97.

List of the Missed from 2006!

5 hours ago, msc said:

Not sure if people watched Flo Bjelke-Peterson as much as they kept an eye on her DDP points scoring husband, but she was mentioned a few times on here, and she is dead aged 97.

List of the Missed from 2006!

Two weeks later she might have become a hit...

Although this list appears to be dead (pardon the pun), I am going to post a list of Aussies who I believe will not be here this time next year.

AUSSIE LIST 2018

Thelma McKenzie - Tommy Raudonikis - Olivia Newton-John - Ted Mack - Dame Beryl Beaurepaire - Darrell Eastlake - Jeanne Little - George Pell - Claire Carmichael (aka Claire McNab) - Ugly Dave Gray - Keith Payne V.C. - Bill Hayden - Lorrae Desmond - Graeme Langlands - Ben Cousins (Joker) - Noel Kelly - Arthur Summons - Neil Harvey - Graham Richardson - Bob Hawke

Sub:

Tami Fraser

21 minutes ago, WhoamI said:

Tommy Raudonikis

*snips from list of names that haven't been mentioned on here yet*

2 hours ago, WhoamI said:

Although this list appears to be dead (pardon the pun), I am going to post a list of Aussies who I believe will not be here this time next year.

AUSSIE LIST 2018

Thelma McKenzie - Tommy Raudonikis - Olivia Newton-John - Ted Mack - Dame Beryl Beaurepaire - Darrell Eastlake - Jeanne Little - George Pell - Claire Carmichael (aka Claire McNab) - Ugly Dave Gray - Keith Payne V.C. - Bill Hayden - Lorrae Desmond - Graeme Langlands - Ben Cousins (Joker) - Noel Kelly - Arthur Summons - Neil Harvey - Graham Richardson - Bob Hawke

Sub:

Tami Fraser

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the Aussie tennis greats dies in 2018. There's about a dozen Aussie Hall Of Famers in their 80s and 90s now

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

*snips from list of names that haven't been mentioned on here yet*

You ran all those names through the search box?

(I already have my next question anticipating your negative response to that one)

SC

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

You ran all those names through the search box?

(I already have my next question anticipating your negative response to that one)

SC

Misread? If I'm reading it of course, he means off his own shortlist as a name not mentioned on here. ie dude has cancer, could have been a DDP unique.

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

Misread? If I'm reading it of course, he means off his own shortlist as a name not mentioned on here. ie dude has cancer, could have been a DDP unique.

Yeah, he was even one of the people I had in mind when I talked about last minute arrivals in the shortlist thread. And @Sir Creep, sometimes you try to be a smart ass/arse and sometimes you fail miserably. This is one of those time. I'm not dumb enough to type in every name on that list to find them, I only do that on potential shortlist names...

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Ahhh ok.....yes, I thought Joey meant on this site.