themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Hm. A miss for my Theme Team.

Photograph of Hawke from the front cover of a new book:

wednesdays-with-bob.jpg

UPDATE:   Turns out he nearly died in 2015 from a stomach virus he contracted in the Middle East:

"[Blanche]  doesn’t know why she kept his brush with death in mid-2015 a secret. It’s easier that way, maybe. Less complicated. Blanche whispers what it felt like to be by Bob’s bedside in Sydney’s ­St Vincent’s Hospital. She figures he was three weeks from death, wilting, dissolving in his bed as a cocktail of super-antibiotics played a roulette game of survival inside his body, fighting a stomach bug that got so severe it left him with a paralysed intestine. “I went and bought our graves,” Blanche says. “I did it without asking him. I went with a friend who was advising a cemetery, a new cemetery, and I said, ‘I think it’s time I bought our graves’. ”

She breathes deep. “They’re difficult decisions,” she says. “Then telling the children. Telling them so they weren’t terrified while also not letting the press know or any of the news media. That was really ­difficult and … umm … I was just sort of ­eyeballing the nurses and so forth, just saying it without saying it, you know.” This is not to leave the hospital room.

Blanche looks out to the balcony. Bob strikes a match to light his cigar. “I remember we were ­fishing once, this was in the early 2000s,” she says. “He hooked a shark. It was a very big and slothful shark up in Queensland and he fought that bloody thing for three hours. Three hours! It was unbelievable. He would have been 72 or 73 and he just would not give up. That’s him. He won’t give up.”

Like most games of chance Bob Hawke indulges in, he got lucky in 2015. He came good, though he faced a year of medical appointments and regular doses of the intravenous antibiotic Vancomycin to ward off life-threatening infection. He was typically stoic throughout but Blanche was forced to confront notions of a life without Bob Hawke in it."

Source:  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/bob-hawke-and-blanche-dalpuget-love-legacy-and-a-secret-brush-with-death/news-story/98c9839ddd1802256f53d214bc067b0a

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Melbourne businessmann, Grand Prix boss, and man with a lot of connections, Ron Walker, dead at 78.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5329083/Businessman-former-Grand-Prix-boss-Ron-Walker-died.html

Also one of the earliest to benefit from using Keytruda for metastatic melanoma treatment, a few years before Jimmy Carter: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/ron-walker-greatest-achievement-was-miracle-drug-campaign/news-story/b1add2c71f80731876881a6120b9f468

It gave him six extra years.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Also one of the earliest to benefit from using Keytruda for metastatic melanoma treatment, a few years before Jimmy Carter: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/ron-walker-greatest-achievement-was-miracle-drug-campaign/news-story/b1add2c71f80731876881a6120b9f468

It gave him six extra years.

Good info, kinda like I used for the Bart Starr thingy.  Only thing I would add is that Ron Walker was 15 years younger than Carter so I’d take that 6 years and cut it certainly in half, making Carter a lock cinch for 2019 should he get there.

SC

I was reading some more about Dr James Wright the other day. He is 90 now and went through two bouts of different cancers in short succession. He is still working though as he believes it is the best way to keep his mind sharp. Would be a classic for any Aussie list when he goes, given his media profile and the fact he has been on air for decades. In the article, he comes across as a genuinely good bloke, too.

This is news I am hearing third hand, so take it with a grain of salt, but apparently Bill Hayden is in failing health in a nursing home now.

It’s amazing what some people will post the day before Cup lineups are due.  That said Sir Creep doesn't see it as an immediately pressing matter and isn’t using Ms. Frances.

So sticking with the Home And Away theme, here is a new movie trailer for this year’s DP MVP, Jessica Falkholt.

• Like 1

News just breaking about the death of former Australian, NSW and Canterbury rugby league player, Steve Folkes.  It distresses me a little when I hear about sports people I watched as a child, teen, and now with ever increasing frequency, adult, dying of natural causes.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-legend-steve-folkes-found-dead/news-story/561b418e50de0bc481476fd6f1a087c1

One for the midyear comps I think. Don't think seeing 2019 is a possibility, actually looking at the photos I think St. Patricks Day looks to be a stretch.  She was a very famous actress in her day (late 70s/early 80s) who enjoyed a renaissance of sorts when she hosted the Aussie version of The Weakest Link.  Most noteworthy Aussies seem to get some kind of QO so might help somebody somewhere.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/tv-legend-cornelia-frances-determined-to-battle-cancer/news-story/43956d98a4c925a149d836991cad6797

On 06/04/2017 at 14:52, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Vanessa Goodwin has died, somewhat ironically, on Tasmanian state election day. It remains to be seen if, later tonight, her party's time in power dies with her:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-03/vanessa-goodwin-former-tasmanian-attorney-general-dies/9505992

Damn.  I honestly didn’t see it coming, she was the one in Cup tourney a few people had and I read everything on her and I wasn’t buying in.  I intentionally left her off, meaning my intuition sucks.

SC

I wonder if she'll obit. I have a feeling she might not.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

I wonder if she'll obit. I have a feeling she might not.

Nah, she's Australian, Daily Mail obit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

• Sad 1

The timing of her death was a plus, I guess. But then, I picked her for my B-Team because I wasn't 100% sure.

The B-Team is now ahead of my main team, again, and that without the Vanessa LaFaye obit.

Interesting news to wake up to.

Considered her an obit punt, but she already got the Guardian and the Mail hours ago. Goes to show how random 'obit punts' could be - if she hadn't died on (or near) Tasmanian election day, I reckon there'd be a couple days wait for a Guardian obit at best.

Well, off to update Death by Numbers.

The headlines states that she was an attorney general, which has a higher position than an MP, so I suspected she was more likely to obit than not. Had she just been an MP, I wouldn’t have bothered with her...

On 01/03/2018 at 00:32, Dr_T said:

One for the midyear comps I think. Don't think seeing 2019 is a possibility, actually looking at the photos I think St. Patricks Day looks to be a stretch.  She was a very famous actress in her day (late 70s/early 80s) who enjoyed a renaissance of sorts when she hosted the Aussie version of The Weakest Link.  Most noteworthy Aussies seem to get some kind of QO so might help somebody somewhere.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/tv-legend-cornelia-frances-determined-to-battle-cancer/news-story/43956d98a4c925a149d836991cad6797

To be fair, lying in a hospital bed with wires coming out of you is never a good look. Other than looking decidedly scrawny, and I'm really not sure about those glasses, she doesn't seem too bad. Definitely one to keep an eye on though.

Well, that'll teach me to punt on Australians not obiting. Well done to those who gambled.

And I see the new Tasmanian government want to relax gun ownership laws. You'd almost think Port Arthur happened in a different state. Pillocks.

• Thanks 1

On 11/02/2013 at 09:06, Davey Jones' Locker said:

I was thinking of a number of Australian travel show/outback exploration types who are quite elderly now. With Steve Irwin, Mike Leyland and Malcolm Douglas all passing away over the last decade, it is probably time for another one of these guys to go:

Outback adventurer, television personality, four wheel drive guru and bush artist Jack Absalom was born in 1927.

Outback adventurer, television personality, folk musician and former Administrator of the Northern Territory Ted Egan was born in 1932.

Naturalist, television personality, and environmental consultant for big oil companies Harry Butler was born in 1930.

Now for the Rolf Harris connections: Harry Butler co-wrote Sun Arise with Rolf in 1961, whilst Ted Egan introduced him to Two Little Boys in 1969...

Long interview with Jack Absalom this morning. He is now 90:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-03-10/jack-absalom-life-of-a-renaissance-bushman/9523960