Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

A new thread for motor racing illness & death talk - I'm moving the other thread into the extra-curricular thread.... Bear with me..

• Like 1

Cheers HCW for the tip - I think I've done it all okay & moved it all round fine - hope it's clear for everyone now which one is which.

Anyway, latest tip for any DP starting soon is that Bob Christie, 5 time Indianapolis 500 starter & one of the few living drivers from the Indy 500's in the 1950's is gravely ill in hospital with pulmonary fibrosis. Christie was 85 earlier this week & has been in poor health for a while.

He won't make 2010, that's for sure. :unsure:

From a DP point of view, that's now 4 drivers recently (1 dead, 3 very ill) who have suffered pulmonary fibrosis problems late in life. I wonder if all that brake dust in the lungs IS affecting old drivers, or is it coincidence. If any more go, it could be the racing version of football's dementia problem.

Then again, brake dust has been around since the year dot for racing - so maybe it's just smoking that's made them like this?

Worth keeping an eye on I think...

May well be brake dust. Didn't Mika Salo experience problems with carbon dust in his lungs?

Forget brake dust in lungs, being murdered is the latest fashion in motor racing...

Franco Ambrosio, 77, was a sponsor for the late Tom Pryce at Shadow being becoming the financier who helped put Arrows together - hence becoming the A of the name put together by the surnames of the others who founded the team (Rees, Oliver, Wass & Southgate).

On 15 April 2009, Franco Ambrosio and his wife died from severe injuries suffered when intruders broke into their house in Posillipo, near Naples, Italy.

The story of this tragedy is pretty similar to Jackie Pretorius' death, which occurred in South Africa in March of 2009.

Hans Klenk, one time Grand Prix starter, has died - no press report as yet, only a half-page obituary in the local paper Obituary

He was 89 & one of the oldest living drivers until March 24th 2009, when he died. :banghead:

Oooh, OoO is going to be pissed that I posted this before him, but Danny Kladis, the oldest living Indy 500 starter is now the formerly oldest living Indy 500 starter, having died at the age of 92.

Nah, it's nice for someone else to post.

Chuck Weyant, now 86, becomes the oldest living Indy 500 starter still alive, but there's quite a few non-qualifiers older than Chuck - who, last I heard, was in okay health.

Hans Klenk, one time Grand Prix starter, has died - no press report as yet, only a half-page obituary in the local paper Obituary

He was 89 & one of the oldest living drivers until March 24th 2009, when he died. :sicktherm:

The vultures must have been circling him for a while at that age, OoO.

(Motor racing joke which nobody else would probably get)

Btw, how many of F1's front-engine driver brigade are left? Off the top of my head - Moss, Brooks, Brabham, Gonzalez and probably at least 20 more.

Btw, how many of F1's front-engine driver brigade are left? Off the top of my head - Moss, Brooks, Brabham, Gonzalez and probably at least 20 more.

No, it's more, surprisingly, I make it 49. Most of them are one-off drives, but a lot of top-line drivers have gone.

Having just returned from Silverstone for the Silverstone Classic, I can confirm that putting Sir Stirling Moss & Murray Walker on any deadpool for 2010 would be a complete waste of time. Sir Stirling is 79 in age, but 39 in spirit.. bounding around everywhere & beating youngsters in the queue for food!

Murray is still as sharp as a tack (well, for him, anyway :unsure: ) & although he gave us all a worrying moment when he lost his footing temporarily when he left the media centre - again, he looked the picture of health & still sounds extremely well.

There weren't many old drivers here for this event as it was only the media day - I'll report if there's anything DL wise of interest from the main event. Jackie Oliver was the only other driver I recognised & he also looks perfectly well.

Having just returned from Silverstone for the Silverstone Classic, I can confirm that putting Sir Stirling Moss & Murray Walker on any deadpool for 2010 would be a complete waste of time. Sir Stirling is 79 in age, but 39 in spirit.. bounding around everywhere & beating youngsters in the queue for food!

Murray is still as sharp as a tack (well, for him, anyway :unsure: ) & although he gave us all a worrying moment when he lost his footing temporarily when he left the media centre - again, he looked the picture of health & still sounds extremely well.

There weren't many old drivers here for this event as it was only the media day - I'll report if there's anything DL wise of interest from the main event. Jackie Oliver was the only other driver I recognised & he also looks perfectly well.

I had forgotten that Murray Walker was still alive

Hillclimbing legend & occasional Grand Prix starter Tony Marsh has died, aged 77. No online link yet, bar a bulletin board message - here, but there will be a message on the BRDC & most other motorsport websites soon.

A real, real shame & a surprise too. Not been a good few weeks for the sport....

I'm musing, if the list of ill racing drivers continues, to put in a theme team for the DDP, and leave my main team clear of racing drivers - or even make my main team full of racing drivers. Mind you, I haven't had a motor racing hit yet - Hill, Trintignant, Rolt - all picked by myself - all dead, but in the wrong year! <_<

This may be a futile posting, but it may be useful to someone, especially US wise, Larry Rice, former Indy 500 rookie of the year, a sprint & midget car ace, and latterly a TV commentator for ESPN on the sport is in the last stages of terminal cancer. It is unlikely he will make the end of the month, and possibly not the end of the week.

I have no link or source for this bit of information, but it comes from a reliable source, who is a good friend of a former racing colleague (and ex-Indy 500 driver) himself. The next few days will probably determine if it is as true as stated. :pop:

Rice hangs on for now, but carrying on the recent cull is Swiss driver Heini Walter - link - who has been ill for some years.

Also non-F1 but British F3 team boss & former driver Joe Tandy was killed in a car crash in Bedfordshire - link. Tandy was 26 years of age.

Myself and young Maryport caught the 125 race of the NW 200 from Northern Ireland yesterday. Looks absolutely lethal, public roads with safety precautions that seem to belong in the 1970s and motorbikes dicing through areas of housing and alongside proper kerbs.

Be a bit obvious of Deathlist sponsored an event there, wouldn't it?

Myself and young Maryport caught the 125 race of the NW 200 from Northern Ireland yesterday. Looks absolutely lethal, public roads with safety precautions that seem to belong in the 1970s and motorbikes dicing through areas of housing and alongside proper kerbs.

Lethal it is, but if you thought the 125s were bad try a Superbike at over 200mph down the same roads! :rolleyes:

Mark Young died in hospital following a crash in the 250cc race earlier that day, while another rider is in a critical condition.

Mark Young died in hospital following a crash in the 250cc race earlier that day, while another rider is in a critical condition.

To be added to the list of most lethal professions, along with K2 mountaineer, space shuttle astronaut, steeplechase racehorse, Tamil Tiger, Pakistani politician, and suicide bomber.

When's the Isle of Man TT, that's usually good for a few fatalities?

This may be a futile posting, but it may be useful to someone, especially US wise, Larry Rice, former Indy 500 rookie of the year, a sprint & midget car ace, and latterly a TV commentator for ESPN on the sport is in the last stages of terminal cancer. It is unlikely he will make the end of the month, and possibly not the end of the week.

Larry Rice has died.

Tony Maggs, one of Grand Prix's most under-rated drivers of the 1960's has died. I hadn't mentioned him here before as I was hoping he would last long enough to be my secret DDP candidate for 2010, suffering as he did from the same lung disease as Peter Arundell & Evel Knievel. No press yet, but when the news comes from his former mechanic, I think we can take it as genuine.

I'm amazed Arundell carries on actually - he would help my rather dismal DDP performance...

:P

Tony Maggs, one of Grand Prix's most under-rated drivers of the 1960's has died. I hadn't mentioned him here before as I was hoping he would last long enough to be my secret DDP candidate for 2010, suffering as he did from the same lung disease as Peter Arundell & Evel Knievel. No press yet, but when the news comes from his former mechanic, I think we can take it as genuine.

I'm amazed Arundell carries on actually - he would help my rather dismal DDP performance...

:P

The only thing I can recall about Tony Maggs was an unfortunate incident with Ken Tyrrell's wife and a hotel wardrobe.

Though it's not half as salacious as you'd imagine.

Still no obituary for Maggs yet, his death notice has been removed from wiki repeatedly... perhaps a false death report?

Still no obituary for Maggs yet, his death notice has been removed from wiki repeatedly... perhaps a false death report?

When the death is reported by his former mechanic at Lotus, Cedric Selzer, it is true. Also, I & Cedric am not in the habit of making false death reports thank you very much. :blink: Believe you me, if I say they are dead, they are dead. Lawro, CP & MPFC will vouch for that.

Anyway - as numerous idiots on Wikipedia beg for proof:

http://forums.autosport.com/lofiversion/in...hp/t110198.html

http://continental-circus.blogspot.com/200...-1937-2009.html

Full press to come in next few days.

Anyway, latest tip for any DP starting soon is that Bob Christie, 5 time Indianapolis 500 starter & one of the few living drivers from the Indy 500's in the 1950's is gravely ill in hospital with pulmonary fibrosis. Christie was 85 earlier this week & has been in poor health for a while.

He won't make 2010, that's for sure. :(

From a DP point of view, that's now 4 drivers recently (1 dead, 3 very ill) who have suffered pulmonary fibrosis problems late in life. I wonder if all that brake dust in the lungs IS affecting old drivers, or is it coincidence. If any more go, it could be the racing version of football's dementia problem.

Maggs died of pulmonary fibrosis & now Bob Christie has died, as predicted above of the same disease.

:rip: It's been a rather brutal few months for old racing drivers.

No doubt Christie's death will also be removed by Wikipedia editors but obscure Indonesian banjo players will be kept on as [[no citation]] for ages... :blink:

There was a fatal crash in Mexican NASCAR over the weekend. Experienced driver Carlos Pardo came to a sudden end after his car slid in to a wall at 120mph.

Footage of the moment of impact exists, but I'm a delicate soul and would never dream of typing "Carlos Pardo Crash" in to YouTube's search facility. That would be a sick and ghoulish thing to do.

• Like 1