Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Guest Guest

that is shocking news :(

Awful news to wake up to. At a circuit traditionally considered very safe, while not even at the wheel - terrible luck. He probably thought nothing of it beforehand

• Like 1

Topical I suppose as his dad pulled Lauda out of the wreck in 76?

Tao Lung

Now this is a motor sports death like it used to be!

http://www.huffingto...ukhf-news-image

I guess you could say he had it ...... (puts on sunglasses) ....Kunming . YEEEEAAAHHHHHHHH !!!

• Like 1

Tao Lung

Now this is a motor sports death like it used to be!

http://www.huffingto...ukhf-news-image

I guess you could say he had it ...... (puts on sunglasses) ....Kunming . YEEEEAAAHHHHHHHH !!!

For a Lung time, I think.

/me spots coat

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

On the positive side, John Crockford: going over the handlebars in this horror get together two years ago, is taking part in a static (bicycle on rollers) marathon this weekend for charity. Most of his 100 odd fractures are better now. Though he's unlikely to return to superbike racing> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6WNsnukLk8

http://en.wikipedia....fatal_accidents

There was a bit of a minor "edit war" at Wikipedia whether to include Maria de Villota on the list of fatal F1 crashes.

I remember looking last week and she was on the list, then she was off it, and on, and now she seems to be off again permanently. Which absolutely makes no sense whatsoever because all reports seem to indicate that she died from a lingering injury related to the crash. Just because she died over a year later that doesn't mean she survived the accident did she? Seems like the lunatics always win at Wikipedia.

I mean, what about that Hillsborough guy? Tony Whateverhisnamewas, who died 4 years later when they finally decided to switch the ventilator off. Nobody says he "survived".

Wikipedia edit wars don't usually excite me but since it's motorsport, a subject I feel marginally passionate about, and the fact that it's basically the 1st active F1 driver fatality since Senna...

• Like 1

On the positive side, John Crockford: going over the handlebars in this horror get together two years ago, is taking part in a static (bicycle on rollers) marathon this weekend for charity. Most of his 100 odd fractures are better now. Though he's unlikely to return to superbike racing>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6WNsnukLk8

We were at Brands on that day, but didn't see this crash as we were sat on the final bend, recall the air ambulance was up and down like a yoyo that day though. If you want excitement, have a look at this from that same weekend - the whole championship was decided on the last bend of the last race, an amazing fight between Tommy Hill and John Hopkins. Commentary by the legendary Jamie Whitham and Jack Burnicle. Pant-wettingly exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjePvNcu8n4

Just realised I've probably posted this before so apologies, but however many times you watch it, it's still incredible.

http://en.wikipedia....fatal_accidents

There was a bit of a minor "edit war" at Wikipedia whether to include Maria de Villota on the list of fatal F1 crashes.

I remember looking last week and she was on the list, then she was off it, and on, and now she seems to be off again permanently. Which absolutely makes no sense whatsoever because all reports seem to indicate that she died from a lingering injury related to the crash. Just because she died over a year later that doesn't mean she survived the accident did she? Seems like the lunatics always win at Wikipedia.

I mean, what about that Hillsborough guy? Tony Whateverhisnamewas, who died 4 years later when they finally decided to switch the ventilator off. Nobody says he "survived".

Wikipedia edit wars don't usually excite me but since it's motorsport, a subject I feel marginally passionate about, and the fact that it's basically the 1st active F1 driver fatality since Senna...

Thought this might happen, as hardcore F1 fans are generally both melodramatic and anal enough to get irate over something as trivial as this. I read at some point that according to British law, an accident isn't considered fatal if the person behind the wheel dies over a year after it happened, so I'd go by that - if you start getting away from that sort of objective measure by making it subjective, it becomes a bit silly

F1 fans on the internet are a weird bunch. They complain when circuits are "too safe" but are the first to panic when a driver is injured and suggest that everything should be made safer. They also love having dead drivers to pay tribute to every 5 minutes, in a rather odd way - they're probably worried at the thought of De Villota officially not dying as the result of her accident so they won't be able to mention it all the fucking time, even though they probably will anyway. These arguments will continue for years, just for the sake of it

• Like 1

Guest Kenan

Why is an 80 year old still allowed to race cars that is unsafe.

Is a racing driver with a diagnosed neurological condition insurable?

Yeah. Lewis Hamilton's brother Nicolas has raced in the past and he suffers from cerebral palsy. I doubt it's too much of an issue, especially considering NASCAR isn't the most physically demanding motorsport series out there. If it was F1, maybe it would be a different matter

Dario Franchitti has had a very poor season, it nearly ended the same way as his friends Wheldon & Moore today. Lucky enough it seems he's got (relatively) minor back injuries plus a small ankle fracture.

Best news is that the 13 fans have been reported to be only suffering from superficial injuries, and having seen the fence and a wheel go flying into the grandstand that's a minor miracle.

Yet another example of cheese-grater fences doing the basics of the job of keeping the car out of the crowd, but surely there's got to be something better.

From another website:

http://www.click2hou...-/prix1-png.jpg

prix1-png.jpg

Franchitti has announced his retirement due to the injuries he sustained

Guest Guest

Legendary F1 cartoonist Jim Bamber has been forced to retire at 65 due to failing health Autosport have announced

Might be a good bet for next year

Well my joker and unique pick Marc Marquez became the youngest ever MotoGP champion on Sunday, at the age of 20, also the first rider to win the title in his first season since 1978 (and the second ever). He has a string of records as long as my Bargain Booze shopping list. So now my only chance of points this year is if he bins it in winter testing.

Incredible talent.

Sad news about Bamber. It's been alluded to for a while that he's been quite ill

Sadly, as I understand it, Jim will be lucky to see December, let alone 2014.

You seem have an inside line on so many people in motorsport.

Do you also have trouble with revolving doors?

• Shocked 1