Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Saw this posted on the general deaths thread for the year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-32271731

I'm not clued up enough to know this but...

What's the average age of TT riders these days, because quite a few of the fatalities seem to be at the upper age limit end of competitive motor sports.

This is the sort of thing Lard would normally comment on....

She seems to have been missing recently.

Sorry, was on holiday for a week and my daughter's been in hospital the last few days. There were a few younger road racing losses last year including Karl Harris and Simon Andrews (not at the TT but the North West 200 road race). It's a tricky one to call - your reflexes start going the older you get, but then some of the younger riders have no fear and take more risks.

• Like 1

Cheers for the above Lardy, hope the young 'un recovers soon.

• Like 3

Thanks, just an appendix out, which they did by keyhole surgery, I didn't know they did it like that.

Thanks, just an appendix out, which they did by keyhole surgery, I didn't know they did it like that.

They've been doing the keyhole surgery for the appendix for about 10 years, as a friend of the family had her's removed that way. My sister on the other hand has quite a scar from when she had her's removed back in the late 70s.

Glad to hear the young un is recovering

• Like 1

They've been doing the keyhole surgery for the appendix for about 10 years, as a friend of the family had her's removed that way. My sister on the other hand has quite a scar from when she had her's removed back in the late 70s.

Glad to hear the young un is recovering

Had mine removed this method (3 entry points I guess) in 2000. Left nearly no marking whereas my mother looked like she wrestled with a chain saw in the 1950s.

SC

Jules Bianchi's condition is "stagnant" according to his father:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/may/21/jules-bianchi-f1-father-japanese-grand-prix

" When we get up every morning, we think of Jules’ life. We think also of his death, because we have to think about death."

THERE you go, pops. Now you're talking.

SC

Franck Patricola, French motorcyclist has died following a crash during qualfying for the Isle of Man TT.

He was due to début last year but withdrew after a crash during the North West 200 which left him in a coma for several days.. He subsequently recovered and raced in the event last month.

Five times world finalist speedway rider and former London Riders Champion, Cyril Roger is dead at 93

Awesome documentary about the deadliest racing incident, the 1955 Le Mans crash of Pierre Levegh.

This weekend the race is run again and this your marks the 50th anniversary of this crash. This is a BBC FOUR documentary about it. It shows in detail what happened using unseen footage and with witnesses telling their tale .

http://www.documentairenet.nl/review/the-deadliest-crash-the-le-mans-1955-disaster/

Awesome documentary about the deadliest racing incident, the 1955 Le Mans crash of Pierre Levegh.

This weekend the race is run again and this your marks the 50th anniversary of this crash. This is a BBC FOUR documentary about it. It shows in detail what happened using unseen footage and with witnesses telling their tale .

http://www.documentairenet.nl/review/the-deadliest-crash-the-le-mans-1955-disaster/

They've shown that a few times, really good documentary and - I think - some of those interviewed a few years back, like Norman Dewis, are still alive and obitable.

Saw Sir Frank Williams during the British GP coverage up close, not seen him in a while. Certainly starting to look like age is catching up on him. He's 72 now and according to this Telegraph article is the oldest tetraplegic in the UK. Seems his health is a slightly touchy subject but is still planning on attending 15 races this year and says he still works 7 days a week so not sure he's going to keel over tomorrow but maybe time to start considering him? Or maybe people have been doing for years already. Anyway, his wife died a couple of years ago too and from memory I think he looked a lot healthier back then. Maybe he's understandably taken it hard. Be a sad day when he does go all the same.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/11463384/The-sport-still-takes-my-breath-away.-Its-great-to-be-a-part-of-it.html