Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Does anyone here think Richard petty is a good bet

• Like 1

Remind me about the state of his health, whilst I copy in the Wiki page to make it obvious he might well be obitable in the UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Petty

Remind me about the state of his health, whilst I copy in the Wiki page to make it obvious he might well be obitable in the UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Petty

he has survived alot of serious crashes and has had numerous broken bones which does long term damage to your health and he hasn't been in the public eye for years

That's your basis? Tell you what, yeah he's a great pick put him on your 2016 Shadow team.

SC

That's your basis? Tell you what, yeah he's a great pick put him on your 2016 Shadow team.

SC

that's the plan

That's the implication I got from the comments. "Jules wouldn't want to live like this." Tragic story, horrific accident. Question is, does he go down as the first F1 fatality since Senna if they switch him off or not?

I assume he would be classified as he received the injuries that would more than likely lead to his death during a Grand Prix. British Driver John Taylor died 4 weeks after a crash at the 1966 German Grand Prix due to burns. Not as long as Jules, but similar sort of case.

That's the implication I got from the comments. "Jules wouldn't want to live like this." Tragic story, horrific accident. Question is, does he go down as the first F1 fatality since Senna if they switch him off or not?

That's a tricky question to answer. The Wiki list of F1 tatalities - for example - includes three since Senna but all in non championship/non testing situations. Maria de Villota was on that list once over - and would definitely have counted as a real one since Senna - but the extent to which bad instruction from her team was central to her death is disputed.

I assume he would be classified as he received the injuries that would more than likely lead to his death during a Grand Prix. British Driver John Taylor died 4 weeks after a crash at the 1966 German Grand Prix due to burns. Not as long as Jules, but similar sort of case.

in NASCAR a racer called don Williams was in a coma for 10 years before dying after he hit a wall in 1979

Very sad something tells me we will hear about Michael Schumacher like this one day , probably in next few years.

Indeed, yet Bobbi Kristina still lives I guess, who knows?

Daily Mail are first off the grid in the UK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3166059/Jules-Bianchi-25-dies-nine-months-F1-driver-crashed-Japanese-Grand-Prix.html

Gutted, you always hope for miracles but it was never going to happen. Better this way than a footnote in 30 years that that bloke no one remembers who crashed an F1 car has finally died. Better he goes now as one of those whose obvious talent will always be unfulfilled. RIP Jules.

• Like 2

Very sad something tells me we will hear about Michael Schumacher like this one day , probably in next few years.

Daily Mail are first off the grid in the UK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3166059/Jules-Bianchi-25-dies-nine-months-F1-driver-crashed-Japanese-Grand-Prix.html

rumour going around is that she is already dead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3163291/Hearse-arrives-Bobbi-Kristina-s-hospice-hours-mysterious-tent-erected-door.html

rumour going around is that she is already dead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3163291/Hearse-arrives-Bobbi-Kristina-s-hospice-hours-mysterious-tent-erected-door.html

Whaaaaatt?!???!!! FINALLY!!!!

And if all this be true it's a DAILY DOUBLE for one of my teams!!! I believe I'll kill some alcohol on their behalves!

WOO HOO

With all respect to Mr Bianchi and Ms Brown, of course.

Sir Creep

Every time I see someone has posted something new here I think "now THIS is the Jules Bianchi death finally being announced" only to be disappointed again and again. I almost backed off his name due to concerns his family might keep France's National Vegetable alive for no reason. Shoulda followed those instincts.

SCreep

Plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is.

Goodnight sweet prince.

SC

Very sad news to hear as I wake.

Jules' family have been torturously at his side and steadfast in hope for a bright outcome but to no avail. Jules was an excellent up and coming driver. It is said he was to have signed for Sauber for this year's championship. Take nothing away from Felipe Nasr but by now I can only believe Jules would have gained considerably more points than him (or the very much pay driver Marcus Ericsson). The next stop would naturally have been Ferrari in 2016 as team mate to 4 times champion Seb' Vettel. And it would have been a fine test to behold. Vettel had issues with facing Danny Ricciardo and lost a slice of relative performance. Jules, more than likely would have yet a further more competitive car and have been in with a fair chance to rightfully stand on the podium in 2016.

Really sad to lose him. Forza. Forza Jules. Fighter to the end. RIP.

• Like 6

Very sad. I guess the father prepared us for this with the interview last week...

I bet Michael Schumacher once told his wife to not let him die, since he was/is a very determined person. They must have discussed what to do in such a situation and I guess Michael thought he could will himself back to life.

That's a tricky question to answer. The Wiki list of F1 tatalities - for example - includes three since Senna but all in non championship/non testing situations. Maria de Villota was on that list once over - and would definitely have counted as a real one since Senna - but the extent to which bad instruction from her team was central to her death is disputed.

See, as I understand it, the last recognised F1 fatality in a race weekend pre-94 was Ricardo Paletti, whose car burst into flames in a start line incident in 1982. (82 was a horrendous year for injuries, death of Villeneuve, Pironi lost his legs, didn't Tambay break a leg too or something?) In 1987, Elio de Angelis was killed in a testing accident (another whose talent we didn't properly get to see) and then there were Ratzenberger and Senna over that horrible Imola weekend.

Since then, notable close shaves that come to mind include Hakkinen's emergency tracheotomy at Adelaide in 95, Panis breaking both legs in Canada in 97, Schumacher ploughing into the wall at Stowe and breaking a leg, Kubica's multiple rolls at Montreal in 07 and Massa's bang on the head in Hungary in 09.

I think I've always considered de Vilota to have been killed through injuries sustained in a crash but obviously not directly in the crash. I guess in a bygone era, Bianchi may never have made it to hospital so in that sense you could say he was effectively killed in the crash and only kept alive through the power of modern medicine. In this age, it's probably more likely that we will see incidents like de Vilota and Bianchi rather than the Ratzenbergers and Sennas: people who survive the initial incident but die of complications thereafter. If he hadn't been in the crash, Jules would still be alive and I suppose that is the key deciding factor. If Niki Lauda had indeed succumbed to his injuries a few days after the Nurburgring in 1976, he would still have died because of the accident.

In summary, the last driver to die instantly in a Formula 1 race is still Ayrton Senna in 1994, but the last driver to die from injuries sustained in a Formula 1 race is Jules Bianchi in 2015.

Bianchi's on the Wiki list now, which still shows one hillclimb and two historic F1 race fatalities between Senna and him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_fatalities

Oh aye, and here's a German magazine article chronicling a slightly different list of 33 fatalities that might better satisfy the purists. The squeamish might well be advised to avoid it since the picture of marshalls attempting to hold on Roger Williamson's head, after righting his overturned and charred March in 1973, is up there with the worst images in F1 history.

http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/nur-einer-war-weltmeister-die-horror-bilanz-33-formel-1-tote-id3987696.html

That picture is truly horrific. While many get misty eyed and nostalgic about the past and complain about the sanitised nature if modern F1, we should always remember it wasn't all rosy back then, some terrible things happened.

Think their list is better than wikis though. Something doesn't sit right with these randomers being counted, although I find it hard to come up with a definition that decisively rules them out.

That picture is truly horrific. While many get misty eyed and nostalgic about the past and complain about the sanitised nature if modern F1, we should always remember it wasn't all rosy back then, some terrible things happened.

Think their list is better than wikis though. Something doesn't sit right with these randomers being counted, although I find it hard to come up with a definition that decisively rules them out.

To be fair to Wiki their colour shading for non championship events etc. does set the randoms apart. The real hard decisions concern the likes of Maria de Villota, who was in there on Wiki until the court ruling. You can't help thinking she should be before Bianchi, because it's hard to imagine a death from spontaneous brain injury if she hadn't had that accident.

The way I look at it is that Jules is the first driver to die from injuries sustained during a Grand Prix race. Maria De Villota Died as a long term result of an injury she suffered during a straight line speed test which was not linked to a Grand Prix weekend in any way, so I don't really count that.

What about the three marshalls who died in Monza '00, Melbourne '01 and Montreal '13 (must be something with the letter M...). Would Graham Hill be counted because he died in a plane crash after he retired? I suppose Colin McRae could also be a point of interest, he hadn't (officially) retired by the time he died.

I am absolutely gutted about Bianchi, but as an F1 fanatic and only being 23, I was too young to know who Senna was and what he did at the time so for me, to see a driver to lose his life after taking part in the sport I love is pretty heartbreaking. The current safety levels are exceptional, I will never fall out of love with the sport because we've lost a talented driver because I know that every time those guys get into their cars there is always a chance they will never get out of them alive again and that is why I respect them so much (apart from Vettel, because he's a w***er).

Hmm, with regard to the above, Graham Hill is totally on the margins. Plane crash coming back from an F1 test with one of the drivers for his team on board. F1 related for sure, but nowhere near a track.

If de Villota doesn't count, why do some people count the likes of Elio de Angelis? Again, that's a tough call. Testing an F1 car is part of F1, right?

If we count marhsalls, then maybe we should count spectators.

Let's keep debating this because each post is a shameless excuse to post links to YouTube horrors as we research the topic. All of which will teach a 23 year old that the sport s/he thinks of as a kind of corporate entertainment used to be more like watching a WW2 dogfight.

• Like 1